Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla 4680 battery cells to be produced by Panasonic starting 2021: report
December 27, 2020
By Maria Merano
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mod...-structural-battery-pack-confirmed-elon-musk/

Panasonic will start producing prototypes of Tesla’s 4680 battery cells as early as 2021, according to a recent report from Japanese media. The tech conglomerate is planning to expand its capacity in Giga Nevada by 10% next year and is reportedly exploring a big battery venture in Norway at the same time.

According to Nikkei Asia, Panasonic will build a prototype production line for the Tesla 4680 battery cells β€œat existing facilities.” The wording of the report suggests that the Asia-based battery supplier may be building multiple prototype production lines. The project is estimated to cost tens of millions of dollars.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla 4680 battery cells to be produced by Panasonic starting 2021: report 1609123682703

_β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-

Good news for the Semi and our Cybertruck productions.
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla 4680 battery cells to be produced by Panasonic starting 2021: report
December 27, 2020
By Maria Merano
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mod...-structural-battery-pack-confirmed-elon-musk/

Panasonic will start producing prototypes of Tesla’s 4680 battery cells as early as 2021, according to a recent report from Japanese media. The tech conglomerate is planning to expand its capacity in Giga Nevada by 10% next year and is reportedly exploring a big battery venture in Norway at the same time.

According to Nikkei Asia, Panasonic will build a prototype production line for the Tesla 4680 battery cells β€œat existing facilities.” The wording of the report suggests that the Asia-based battery supplier may be building multiple prototype production lines. The project is estimated to cost tens of millions of dollars.

1609123682703.jpeg

_β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”-

Good news for the Semi and our Cybertruck productions.
do we really think the new batteries will be in the first 50k production units?

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I am positive this was Tesla’s plan from the start in order to get the relatively high levels of mileage advertised.

Wildfortune

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Tri-motor C/T to replace my Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired to a Hobby Farm
Country flag
My take. Yep! On battery day, Elon said it would be in the Cybertruck and Semi. He did not qualify his statement so I am taking him at his word. Not to mention that he has time as the Roadrunner facility is in early production, Giga NV is going to make the as well as Giga Berlin.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
My take. Yep! On battery day, Elon said it would be in the Cybertruck and Semi. He did not qualify his statement so I am taking him at his word. Not to mention that he has time as the Roadrunner facility is in early production, Giga NV is going to make the as well as Giga Berlin.
It has already been stated that cells from the pilot plant will be sent to Berlin to get them going with 4680s to build the Model Y with them.

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ryan McCaffery of the podcast RIDE THE LIGHTNING predicts the first vehicles out of Giga Austin will be Cybertruck. 1) No paint shop required. 2) with well over 650,000 preorders they need to start cranking them out to make a dent in those deliveries.
I hope he is correct.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Ryan McCaffery of the podcast RIDE THE LIGHTNING predicts the first vehicles out of Giga Austin will be Cybertruck. 1) No paint shop required. 2) with well over 650,000 preorders they need to start cranking them out to make a dent in those deliveries.
I hope he is correct.
We can be hopeful, but since the MY equipment is already designed and built it's the least resistance to generating revenues in the shortest amount of time.

I imagine the production process for the CT will be slow going for months and months.

Personally, I think it's going to be near impossible to build the CT without marking up the raw stainless steel. We use this material at work and it's impossible to keep it looking perfect.

Actually, our trucks may be shipped with a thick protective film covering the entire body........

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We can be hopeful, but since the MY equipment is already designed and built it's the least resistance to generating revenues in the shortest amount of time.

I imagine the production process for the CT will be slow going for months and months.

Personally, I think it's going to be near impossible to build the CT without marking up the raw stainless steel. We use this material at work and it's impossible to keep it looking perfect.

Actually, our trucks may be shipped with a thick protective film covering the entire body........
Something to do on a wet weekend, sitting there slowly peeling off the film, almost as good at popping bubblewrap.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Something to do on a wet weekend, sitting there slowly peeling off the film, almost as good at popping bubblewrap.
Don't bother. Just drive off-road through the bushes for a while. Then you will have a molting CT. It will fit right in with the wild life.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
There is zero news value in this article (Teslarati 30/12/20).
In fact its wrong !

Seems Teslarati just Kool-aid distributing.

The Article that Reuters put out in October confirmed Panasonic has acknowledged it was building 4680 pilot production lines in 2020, not waiting for 2021 !

Perhaps Teslarati not liking that Panasonic just made a very public, very large,
agreement with Toyota for Solid State batteries.

Either way the great news is as Rocket Lab and others attest to, the battery technology that has already been validated, but still not quite ready and so still on the verge
of commercial availability is relatively close.

And it will have 200% to 300% greater energy density.

P.S. As the Model S is now rated at 402 miles of range with a 100 kwh battery
When they put a 200 kwh battery in the Cybertruck that will be :

804 miles of potential range
932 miles ( + 16 % from form factor alone of new 4680 batteries )
783 miles ( - 16% for less efficiency. Approx 320 wh/m vs 270 wh/m )

650 miles ( Is what is likely and easily feasible for Tesla to give the Cybertruck, leaving buffers in ) :D :D

400 miles ( for the dual motor is also quite likely )
550 miles ( Maybe, with optional extra battery, as confirmed by Motor Trend )

Note :
Plaid Model S is rated at 520 miles.
Lucid which are now the most efficient, are getting 517 miles from 113 kwh battery.

The Wolverine Cybertruck will have more range,
as it will be a little lighter, and have better Aero, due to smaller frontal area.
Unless Tesla choose to trim the battery pack size, which will further aid reduction in weight.
Sponsored

Last edited: