Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
By the time Tesla catches up with orders, and reduces its prices to sell 5-10 million cars...it will by extension also mean the clear beginning of the end for Legacy.

It will not be a case of Tesla needing any credibility,, it will be number one.

Tesla will not be as vulnerable to the FUD. The opposition will not have the advertising dollars to sow FUD. It will be in the throes of death. Funds will dwindle at an accelerating pace.

We are wrong to imagine a scenario where Tesla sells 5 million cars, and everything remains the same... the enemy is weakened.

The shoe will be on the other foot.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
This is related to the AC topic, and also about service...

I've got a repair scheduled right now (12v battery) and had one completed a little over a month ago. That one sucked for the most part.

Symptom: Alarm goes off about 30 seconds after remote starting the AC.

They tried to get $900 out of us for it, and blamed us for the problem. I spent quite a bit of time attempting to reach people which is VERY hard with Tesla. The service center's recommendations to reach someone didn't work. In comparison, when I had a coverage dispute with a Jeep dealer, there is one toll free number to call to get a live human, who documents your case, and becomes your rep for the case. Tesla, nah, it was a new person every time. If they call and you're busy and don't answer, they leave you with NO WAY to call back. I mean, they say "here's my number" which just goes to the IVR that won't put you through to the actual SC. Overall it took quite a bit longer than promised and then we left the car longer to work through the warranty coverage. They eventually said it was covered. Car has 26k on it.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla AC -> cool? 1658849327043

Our current service is going well, and is the other side of the "no dealer" example, which I do love. I never want to deal with a dealer again. She got this error on the weekend, and started a trouble report. They scheduled it for this coming Friday. We'll be on the road to Southern CA early Friday, so I sent a message in the app and they moved it to Wednesday. On a SUNDAY, I had the ability to schedule a service in my own driveway to meet my travel needs. If that were a dealer, I'd have to call Monday and beg, while it's their busiest morning of the week.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The 2 big things I notice about Tesla AC.

#1 Car keeps below 104 degrees due to cabin overheat protection so it never hits those crazy high temps you get in a lot of cars.

#2 Before I leave the building I turn the AC on so my car is pre-cooled a bit. This makes a massive difference in comfort when you start driving.

Sometimes the fan doesn’t blow ice-cold air, but it’s also never uncomfortably hot, even when it’s 100+ outside. Having the cabin at a decent temperature when you get in makes such a huge difference.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is related to the AC topic, and also about service...

I've got a repair scheduled right now (12v battery) and had one completed a little over a month ago. That one sucked for the most part.

Symptom: Alarm goes off about 30 seconds after remote starting the AC.

They tried to get $900 out of us for it, and blamed us for the problem. I spent quite a bit of time attempting to reach people which is VERY hard with Tesla. The service center's recommendations to reach someone didn't work. In comparison, when I had a coverage dispute with a Jeep dealer, there is one toll free number to call to get a live human, who documents your case, and becomes your rep for the case. Tesla, nah, it was a new person every time. If they call and you're busy and don't answer, they leave you with NO WAY to call back. I mean, they say "here's my number" which just goes to the IVR that won't put you through to the actual SC. Overall it took quite a bit longer than promised and then we left the car longer to work through the warranty coverage. They eventually said it was covered. Car has 26k on it.

1658849327043.jpeg

Our current service is going well, and is the other side of the "no dealer" example, which I do love. I never want to deal with a dealer again. She got this error on the weekend, and started a trouble report. They scheduled it for this coming Friday. We'll be on the road to Southern CA early Friday, so I sent a message in the app and they moved it to Wednesday. On a SUNDAY, I had the ability to schedule a service in my own driveway to meet my travel needs. If that were a dealer, I'd have to call Monday and beg, while it's their busiest morning of the week.
I think buying a Tesla is akin to getting a candy bar out of a vending machine.

You order it, eventually it pops out and there is nobody to complain when it fell on it’s end and you get a crushed cherry pie which is leaking goo.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
104...how cute. Come to Phoenix. LOL
Been there. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would stay there.

On a work trip in February a few years ago, work up, ate breakfast, and since our hotel was less than 2 blocks from the office, walked in. It was 9am and it was already 90 degrees outside. Almost took an Uber to get back to the hotel in the afternoon.

I like being outside.

I figure if you live in a place like that, you must enjoy getting baked so you have no room to complain.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I hate Oregon weather. It makes me insane. My coldest and darkest winter was a summer week on a contract in Portland. I think I may be solar powered. I'm outside all the time, though of course, shade and swamp coolers are key in summer. But it's three months of hell (lots of pool time) in exchange for really good weather the rest of the time.

As a child growing up in Southern CA, I though THAT weather was too cold, dreary, and rainy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I like being outside.

I figure if you live in a place like that, you must enjoy getting baked so you have no room to complain.
Me too. I went to University in Arizona after growing up in Oregon and Washington. Coming home to Portland was like a relief, all the green plants and cozy fog.

Sometimes in Phoenix there wouldn't be any way to walk places, even though they were on the same block. The path would take miles of pavement going the long way around.

Right now, Portland feels like Phoenix. It took soo long to cool off last night.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Sometimes in Phoenix there wouldn't be any way to walk places, even though they were on the same block.
Washes and animal paths. You can't just go block things off willy-nilly, without environmental consequences. Right next to my house, there are coyote tunnels. In order to build a canal to send water to CA, they had to allow for animal travel too. It's not super common, but if you're talking about ASU, that's right by a major waterway and animal thoroughfare. UofA wouldn't have anything like that.

I stay out of Phoenix as much as possible though. I use the term for the general area. The city is a new level of hell, we are way outside at the desert's edge.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, I did like the desert. Tho I stuck to the mountains mostly. We go to Nevada every year, and the Mohave randomly in the year. ^-^

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But it's three months of hell (lots of pool time) in exchange for really good weather the rest of the time.
Hmm… by my reconning, there is only about a 3 month window of “Good” weather on this chart. Perhaps another 2 months of “Tolerable”.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla AC -> cool? 1658858621127

I like 70 degrees. There’s a reason most people set their thermostat at 68 - 72 degrees.

It’s rainy in Oregon, but you can still go outside and enjoy yourself. I ride or hike 4-5 days a week in the winter and 3-5 days a week the rest of the year. Zero chance I’d be able to enjoy that much outside activity in 110+ Phoenix heat. There are 2 months where the LOW is over 80. Insane.

I find it kind of ironic though, people who live in an oven because they “Love the weather” complaining about the AC quality.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Right now, Portland feels like Phoenix. It took soo long to cool off last night.
It’s hot, but I can’t imagine it being comparable. If nothing else, you have lots of shade.

I recall walking a few blocks for dinner, the sun was just about down and the sidewalk was just radiating heat. The city architecture and layout makes it so much worse. In the desert proper, it would cool off a lot quicker. People need to start thinking about this stuff when they design cities. As climate change keeps going, heat islands are going to become less and less tolerable.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
When the humidity is insanely low, even mountain biking in the desert feels decent at 80. Also, the high temp for the day only happens for a short window. It's very different from how you would perceive it not living here. Like I go to visit relatives in FL, and I'm dying from humidity at only 75. It's also 75 all damn day.