Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
“murderated” - not entirely sure what this would be. Somehow though I really want to avoid any group where this is even an issue to be concerned about. I don’t blame you for leaving.
Yup, life is too short to... (to worry about anything else than when my Cybertruck will be available. :rolleyes: . Another one of that and I'm outta here!
Sponsored

Obxcast

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape hybrid; Model Y SR
Occupation
Program Director
Country flag
Tesla has all but confirmed that Cybertruck production is going to be delayed into next year.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/27/tesla-cybertruck-production-delayed/

After unveiling the Cybertruck in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021.

The automaker has not officially updated that timeline since.

With that deadline being only months aways and only very little evidence of progress toward production, Tesla was asked twice during the release of its earnings results about Cybertruck production, and the company spokespersons mostly danced around the question.

The automaker never confirmed that it would be delayed, but it strongly hinted that it would be.

In its shareholders letter, the automaker mentioned “progress” toward production, but it only wants to confirm that Cybertruck production is coming after Model Y production at Gigafactory Texas, which is planned to start “by the end of the year.”

In the same document, Tesla updates a chart quarterly about its vehicle production capacity, and it still only mentions the Cybertruck production as “in development” rather than “construction”:

Screen-Shot-2021-07-27-at-5.41.47-AM.jpg

This is confirmed by drone flyovers of Gigafactory Texas, which shows a lot of work happening inside of the Model Y section of the factory under construction, while the Cybertruck section appears to still be mostly empty inside.

During a conference call following the release of Tesla’s Q2 results, the automaker was asked directly about the status of Cybertruck production.

In one question, Tesla was even asked if it could “confirm” that production is still planned for this year, and it couldn’t do it.

Lars Moravy, vice president of vehicle engineering at Tesla, responded instead:

He stopped short of confirming that production isn’t going to start until next year, but if the automaker is still in the alpha stage of the program and it is waiting for Model Y to reach volume production, it sounds unlikely that we will see the electric pickup truck this year.

CEO Elon Musk was also asked about whether or not he expects challenges in bringing the Cybertruck to production, and he said that he believes the Cybertruck might be Tesla’s best product yet, but also the most difficult.

Electrek’s Take
While Tesla clearly appears hesitant in officially delaying the Cybertruck, I think it’s better if we forget about any chances of seeing the electric truck this year.

Otherwise, I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

On top of Tesla deploying the production capacity itself, it looks like 4680 battery cells are going to be an important bottleneck into at least some time next year.

Musk even revealed during the call that Tesla has a backup plan to use 2170 cells in the new Model Y to be produced at Gigafactory Texas and Berlin until the 4680 is available and can enable the structural battery pack architecture.

I don’t think Tesla can do that with the Cybertruck and still achieve its promised specs and prices.

Source
Heck, I would be excited just to get a final production look or update!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Heck, I would be excited just to get a final production look or update!
Based on the announcements that have actually been made (AWS comes to mind) I have a feeling that if the full production stats were to be released that your excitement would be such that the delay would be all too long.

Right now we have a kind of Schrodinger's cat situation. We know there is a CT that is coming but we don't fully know when it will start production or when we will get delivery. At the same time, we don't know the final specs. I know that in my case, I can handle this uncertainty fairly well. But if either the date or the specs were to get solidified, I am either going to get real disinterested (the specs are horrible or it's not going to ship for 5 more years) or so excited I might just have a heart attack (the specs are so much better than we thought and I'm taking delivery in 2 months).

BenH

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag
damn.. I need a big vehicle for outdoor activities. :( Hopefully, price will not jack up more than 10%.

SighBurrTruck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Porsche
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Maybe Elon only needs the one CT he has to use as a Mars rover.
Sponsored