Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
They would need to be made for the dimensions and bed shape of the CyberTruck.

The sloped sides (the 'sail pillars') are probably the biggest change, but also the over cab design would need to be different (or non-existent).

There are some photo-shop jobs of mock-ups of truck bed campers for the CyberTruck.

The larger bed load that the CyberTruck can handle would allow for more some pretty interesting designs. Maybe even enough to support water tanks at the bottom, slide-outs or tilt-up options...

And with power and air available, actuators to lift and/or move components once parked and leveled could be interesting.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
They would need to be made for the dimensions and bed shape of the CyberTruck.

And with power and air available, actuators to lift and/or move components once parked and leveled could be interesting.
CG will be critical with elec/air suspension. Too high CG/top heavy will outweigh the ability of air suspension to control rebound. Bounce is a contributing side-effect but computer/AI systems would handle any harmonics that setup.

I taken notice of Aussie escapist design such as Tommy Camper and Tvan which are fair weather solutions for those below 41° parallel. Northerner's will want trail behinds for 3 season comforts like Airstreams and toyhauler's.

Cybertruck should surprise with third party innovation built for its iconic design and power defining luxuries. Demand will grow the category for CT specific solutions.

Youaregoldone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Cybertruck
Country flag
Regarding Tesla and the Cybertruck camper market, which of these 3 possibilities would you guess is most likely?
  1. Tesla designs and builds a camper model in-house
  2. Tesla partners with a camper design company (like Four Wheel Campers)
  3. Tesla leaves the camper market entirely after-market
#4 Option: Elon shall surprise everyone by having unforeseen surprise Camping features.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
CG will be critical with elec/air suspension. Too high CG/top heavy will outweigh the ability of air suspension to control rebound. Bounce is a contributing side-effect but computer/AI systems would handle any harmonics that setup.
Once stopped, not while under way.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
New forum member here - bumping this thread to hopefully address a related subject.

I'd like to use the Cybertruck for camping with one of the new self-contained slide-ins such as a Kimbo 6 (https://www.kimboliving.com/) or Scout Olympic (https://www.scoutcampers.com/). While I know that the 6.5' Cybertruck bed length works with those campers, I'm not sure about the other dimensions.

The bed width doesn't appear to be listed anywhere and based on the photos and the overall truck width, likely will not be an issue. That said, it would be very useful to know what the bed width actually is.

I'm also interested knowing the height of the cab as both campers extend over that area. From the photos, it doesn't really look like this is an issue and in fact, it looks likely that the problem will be the reverse (excessive clearance over the cab). It would still be useful info to know this dimension.

What about miscellaneous things like tie-downs? It's not clear to me that the bed has these, though it's hard to imagine it doesn't. In terms of payload, the Cybertruck has more than enough to handle not just lightweights but nearly any pickup truck camper. I think it will make an excellent travel vehicle, assuming the charging structure gets a bit more built out.

I'm sure there are others in the Cybertruck community who have similar plans and for their vehicles. I'd be very interested in any feedback and suggestions on this subject.
IIRC, the bed is 57 inches wide.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Once stopped, not while under way.
Interesting...expected AI could outperform an old school steel swaybar by dynamic dampening shock control. Cross AI off the list for dynamic control of CG dynamics.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Interesting...expected AI could outperform an old school steel swaybar by dynamic dampening shock control. Cross AI off the list for dynamic control of CG dynamics.
That is what I get for posting when I am tired.

I was referring to leveling and such for camping and when expanding campers and such, not about adjustments while underway.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What will be really important is getting the trailer to fit as much as possible into the wake of the CyberTruck.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
The RV industry has been in existence for over 100 years, hard to believe but true. I would say for Elon to enter this field it would depend on his mission. Would it be for exclusively for Tesla owners or the RV world? it doesn't seem to me that any of his undertakings are focused on a small sector of market. The RV industry is riddled with issues of reliability, quality and value.
I am sure there is room in this arena but to take this on would certainly take his focus off he's current goals. I have owned RV's almost my whole adult life and I bought new and used, I never owned one to this day that did not have major issues, So if Elon decides to make a innovative trailer or camper styled shell for Cybertruck, I want to see if it can work for me.
The RV industry is in need of honest products with quality.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I wish Tesla would do something in camping/overlanding; but, sadly, I also believe Tesla is overextended. Before they do anything new, they will certainly want to get a handle on their efforts toward solar for homes. I have heard people talk about Tesla's solar panels, but I've also heard that Tesla is so far, missing their intended mark. Possibly more about simply not meeting current levels of demand, who knows.

I would think it best, at this point, to simply be good with a CT, and hope for a healthy aftermarket blossoming to meet our needs. This is one area I am a bit concerned, as the CT is a brand new design, and it is polarizing. Will the CT push people's creativity, or not. There was that magnetic 5th wheel hitch I saw here - it looked interesting. We will see. peace

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They are overextended! But as their factories get built, they should get a handle on it.

Tesla seems not wanting for capital. It's just a matter of turning it into productive endeavors now.

-Crissa
Sponsored