Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Tesla eyeing Russian production, Musk says

CEO says automaker could be 'close to establishing' a presence in the country

Bloomberg

May 21, 2021

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said the electric-car maker is close to establishing a presence in Russia and is looking at whether it could open factories there.

Addressing an event in Russia via video link, Musk said the company already had production sites in China and the U.S. but was looking at opening production facilities in other parts of the world. The company also plans to open a plant in Germany later this year to build cars and batteries.

"I think we are close to establishing a Tesla presence in Russia, and I think that would be great," Musk said. "Over time, we will look to have factories in other parts of the world, potentially Russia at some point."

Musk, who is also the CEO of U.S. government contractor Space Exploration Technologies, called for more dialogue between Washington and Moscow, where the event took place Friday. The conference was part of the Kremlin's efforts to revive the Knowledge Society, a Soviet-era educational organization.

"There's a lot of talent and energy in Russia," Musk said. "Hopefully that energy continues into the future, and I would just like to strongly encourage people to strive to make the future better than the past and to be optimistic about the future."

Musk, 49, joined the conference three months after inviting Russian President Vladimir Putin to join him on the chat-room app Clubhouse. Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin's spokesman, told reporters he still hopes Putin and Musk will talk, but no preparations for that are underway currently, the news agency Tass said.

Reuters contributed to this report
Sponsored

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Why?

-Crissa
First, don't forget that Musk left in the dust Russian space industry cutting off some serious money supply. Russian KGB mafia in power will not forgive it.
Second, once Russians get the codes for the Tesla car software, expect unexplained crashes of Tesla vehicles. One of them with Musk probably. Or you do not believe that Putin kills people around the world?
Third, giving technological advantage to bad people is not a good idea, and everything in Russia is controlled by KGB/FSB.
And also now is much easier to find some talented and smart Russians outside Russia rather than inside.
And how about self driving Russian tanks? It is firs that they will do.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
First, don't forget that Musk left in the dust Russian space industry cutting off some serious money supply. Russian KGB mafia in power will not forgive it.
Second, once Russians get the codes for the Tesla car software, expect unexplained crashes of Tesla vehicles. One of them with Musk probably. Or you do not believe that Putin kills people around the world?
Third, giving technological advantage to bad people is not a good idea, and everything in Russia is controlled by KGB/FSB.
And also now is much easier to find some talented and smart Russians outside Russia rather than inside.
1) KGB or mafia? These are different things with different ends. Also, neither are involved in the space commercialization or militarization.

2) Code? Why wouldn't they have the code now? Tesla sells it online.

3) Technological advantage? What advantage? To have one of the many gigafactories around the world?

4) You can buy self-driving software off the shelf now. Open Source, too. The details of self-driving that Tesla deals with are irrelevant to a tank. Besides, they've had autonomous navigation for decades in their military applications.

-Crissa

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
1) KGB or mafia? These are different things with different ends. Also, neither are involved in the space commercialization or militarization.

2) Code? Why wouldn't they have the code now? Tesla sells it online.

3) Technological advantage? What advantage? To have one of the many gigafactories around the world?

4) You can buy self-driving software off the shelf now. Open Source, too. The details of self-driving that Tesla deals with are irrelevant to a tank. Besides, they've had autonomous navigation for decades in their military applications.

-Crissa
Looks like you are not familiar with Russian realities. FSB now in power and is a real mafia that controls EVERYTHING in Russia, including the space commercialization or militarization.
For the country that can not manufacture cars better than Lada, the gigafactory would be a huge jump up.
Regarding codes - if my car is driven by software that is controlled by good guys, I am OK. But if my car is controlled by Mr. Putin and his hackers, I would rather cancel my purchase of FSD package. And many people may do the same. So financial advantage of having a plant in Russia may be not so great.
The science in Russia is in a poor shape and Putin wanted to steal the western technologies. He mentioned that in his speech. By helping him you empower one of the most aggressive states that caused at least 4 wars in last decade and supports many terrorist movements.
I could say more about it, but it will be a political topic. Dealing with todays Russia will be a political topic anyway. And it will be a poor business. You will understand it later.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Dealing with Putin's Russia is like swimming in sewage. Questionable pleasure and guarantied dirt.

Iamcomcy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Jazz
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
I am an American who has been living in Russia for the past 20 years. I have a Russian wife and a son here.

Are things controlled by the state? Many, yes. EVERYTHING? Of course NOT. Only those things (businesses) that are interesting (making serious money).

Will you pretend, for even a moment, that things are WORSE in Russia, than they are in China, so far as control and corruption? That's laughable. Things are hardly better in the US, be serious.

China has a goal and is executing it. Observe their GDP growth. Russia, I will agree, is stagnant and even a bit of a cesspool. I have had many of my Russian friends, who work in high stations in several sectors of the Russian economy lament a complete lack of ambition on the part of the federal government - NO plan. NO execution. Yes, it's all government 'mafia', and very little else.

If Tesla can work a deal that works for both Tesla and the corrupt, power-hungry, technologically ambitious Communist government in China, then coming to a deal with 'has-been' Russia would be a piece of cake.

The real question is, what would Russia get out of it? Well, what did Chian get out of their deal with Tesla? They didn't get ownership, at all. In fact, they gave up that normal prerequisite. Prestige? Yes, I think no doubt of that. Will China steal everything they can from Tesla ... ah, all their patents are open ... what's to steal? "Codes" I suppose you mean to take control of Tesla vehicles - Tesla has the best programmers on the planet. Hackers may hack, and yes, but we live with that everywhere in the world, Power systems, banking, water supply, EVERYTHING. All cars that have lane correction and emergency braking are hackable in the manner you are talking about and we don't hear about crashes caused by state actors executing state 'enemies'.

If the government of Russia were in fact so offended at Elon's success with the Falcon 9 that they wanted him dead, he would have been killed a long time ago. If any emotion exists in the halls of the Kremlin it's shame that they didn't beat Elon to rocket reusability in the 70's, 80's, 90's!

My hope is that Tesla is allowed in Russia with the same free hand they have been allowed in China and Tesla builds out a super Charging network quickly and in 2023 they start building a ... small ... giga factory here. I think it would inspire Russians to build a dream for Russians, in Russia ... and that would serve Putin's interests well.

Sc0rPs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
You've been watching too much mainstream media BS. Amazing how people are so shocked by the fake BS when their own government is doing far worse.

Now the BS aside, Russia has some seriously talented engineers and vast resources which can boost Tesla edge & production. With trade routes being developed distribution to both Asia & Europe will be easy. Not a bad idea.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
You've been watching too much mainstream media BS. Amazing how people are so shocked by the fake BS when their own government is doing far worse.

Now the BS aside, Russia has some seriously talented engineers and vast resources which can boost Tesla edge & production. With trade routes being developed distribution to both Asia & Europe will be easy. Not a bad idea.
Unfortunately for Russia most of its talented engineers are gone west. Russian products quality are subpar. Russia can't sell many things to Europe due to sanctions and it simply can't compete in terms of cost with Asia.
99% of the cars made in Russia are sold in ex-USSR. If Tesla were to manufacture cars there, not much would change in that regard.
As for resources, yes they have probably the best natural resources of any country in the world.
Sponsored

Last edited: