Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla may be one of the first automakers to use Ultra-Wideband (UWB) technology in their vehicles. According to documents filed with the Federal Communications Commission, the manufacturer has submitted new products that support UWB.

Ultra-Wideband is a radio technology that can use a very low energy level for short-range, high-bandwidth communications over a large portion of the radio spectrum. UWB has traditional applications in non-cooperative radar imaging. Most recent applications target sensor data collection, precision locating, and tracking applications. UWB support has started to appear in high-end smartphones.

In September, Tesla submitted six new “products” for the FCC’s consideration, including two key fobs, a security controller, and a number of “endpoints” that would be installed inside the frame and cabin of a vehicle, according to The Verge. According to FCC filings, at least three of these products clearly support UWB communications.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Could Be One of First Automakers to Use UWB Technology in Its Vehicles 4_d11c02cb-023d-4760-b4c3-2b8d5a162c6c_600x600

Source: Tesla

Tesla's filing with the FCC includes a full description of how the technology works, according to which the latest smartphones could theoretically be compatible. According to the description, a key fob can allow owners to unlock their vehicle without taking it out of their pockets.

As of now, there is no evidence that Tesla will necessarily add UWB to its cars, but filings with the FCC are usually a sign that the company intends to implement the technology. Filing with the FCC is usually one of the last steps before a product goes to market. This is only required if the manufacturer intends to import, sell, or conduct extensive testing of radio products in the United States.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Could Be One of First Automakers to Use UWB Technology in Its Vehicles 4_b71504f8-4e48-403b-be63-9c1595af2e7e_600x600

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Could Be One of First Automakers to Use UWB Technology in Its Vehicles 7da52bffe06e1f645c08299841a4a343?s=160&r=G

EVA FOX
I'm a big fan of Tesla, as I worry about the future for my child and for future generations. Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy and I'm passionately striving for this goal. I’m tired of the daily deception from Tesla’s haters against the company, so I strive to spread true information and the latest news about Tesla.

SOURCE: TESMANIAN
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If it does what is promised to do (lower power, higher bandwidth, more secure Bluetooth/NFC replacement), then makes sense to start testing and implementing now.

And if it costs more, then being in a more expensive vehicle (Roadster, Semi, Model S Plaid Plus) might make more sense (for testing expensive new technology).

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Now CT looks stealthy like the B2 bomber. Maybe its shape will elude cop radar too hmmmmm
Sponsored