Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Per Teslarati: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-cheapest-price/

The Cybertruck is now the cheapest Tesla that customers could order today

Tesla tends to roll out price increases and decreases to its vehicle lineup on a rather frequent basis. Just recently, Tesla rolled out new price adjustments to the Model 3 and Model Y, which resulted in the Model 3 Standard Range Plus — the most affordable vehicle in the company’s currently available lineup — now starting at about $42,000 before incentives. This recent round of price increases also had another effect: it made the base Cybertruck the cheapest Tesla that could be ordered today.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk incited some strong reactions during the Cybertruck’s unveiling when he revealed that the massive all-electric pickup truck’s base variant, which uses one electric motor and an RWD configuration, would start at $39,990 before incentives. This was quite shocking considering the Cybertruck’s size, as well as Musk’s previous statement during an appearance at the Ride the Lightning podcast which pointed to the all-electric truck starting “well under $50,000.”

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Cybertruck is Now Cheapest Tesla You Can Order cybertruck-price-1024x513

Needless to say, very few could have predicted then that Elon Musk’s “well below $50,000” teaser meant that the Cybertruck would start at $39,990. At that price, the hulking steel pickup truck found itself at the same range as the base Model Y, which was announced with a starting price of $39,000. The Model Y Standard Range was briefly made available in the United States for $41,990 before it was discontinued, but it has since been released in China at a price of about $42,800.

Interestingly enough, Tesla’s price adjustments have now reached a point where even the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which has long been the company’s most affordable vehicle, is now more expensive than the Single-Motor Cybertruck. This meant that those who wish to make a reservation for Tesla’s current vehicle offerings would find the base Cybertruck as their most affordable option, for now at least.

And considering that Tesla has not updated the Cybertruck’s order page, it appears that the company does not see a need to adjust its all-electric pickup truck’s starting price just yet. That being said, Tesla’s terms and conditions in the Cybertruck’s Motor Vehicle Pre-Agreement do state that the final cost of the all-electric pickup truck may be subject to changes when the vehicle enters production. Placing orders for the Cybertruck would then lock in the cost of FSD, but not necessarily the $39,990 price for the pickup’s base variant.

Tesla would likely start the Cybertruck’s production with the vehicle’s more expensive trims, such as the Tri-Motor AWD and Dual-Motor AWD variants, which are priced at $69,990 and $49,990, respectively. The company is also evidently counting on some of its innovations to keep the Cybertruck’s cost as low as possible, such as the upcoming 4680 cells and structural battery packs. If Tesla’s 4680 cells remain delayed, however, or if the company is unable to master the Cybertruck’s megacasted parts, then it would not be a surprise if the pickup truck’s most affordable variants end up starting substantially above $39,990.
Sponsored

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
Guess I didn't read the fine print that well. I figured both FSD and what ever the listed price was for the variant selected would be locked in at time of reservation. Didn't think they could change the price from what it was when you reserved. Hope they don't change it, or at least just honor the price you reserved it at.

edit: just saw Don_Juan's post, hope you are correct.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
If you already ordered one then you're locked in on old price. Any price increase will affect new orders and that likely won't happen until production starts.
"If you already ordered one then you're locked in on old price. Any price increase will affect new orders ...."

That's not how I read this: "Cybertruck’s Motor Vehicle Pre-Agreement ... the final cost ... subject to changes when the vehicle enters production."

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
"If you already ordered one then you're locked in on old price. Any price increase will affect new orders ...."

That's not how I read this: "Cybertruck’s Motor Vehicle Pre-Agreement ... the final cost ... subject to changes when the vehicle enters production."
The clause is to protect the company if something unforeseen occurs in their COGS model. Nobody expects a company to sell at a loss. Too early to stress over price now, save energy for July next year.

Last edited:

Wilfredo

First Name
Wilfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla 1996
Occupation
law
Country flag
I am waiting for the confirmation of the prices. If they stay the same, I wait my turn. If it goes up substantially, I'm going.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The clause is to protect the company if something unforeseen occurs in their COGS model. Nobody expects a company to sell at a loss. Too early to stress over price now, save energy for July next year.
"The clause is to protect the company if something unforeseen occurs in their COGS model. Nobody expects a company to sell at a loss. "

You know the real purpose of that clause because ...?
What is "COGS"?
What does "sell at a loss" (or profit) mean? The operational cost to make that unit? That unit's proportion of the fixed costs of the entire complex -- based on how many units with what specs?

If you were running Tesla, and you had deposits on about a million CTs, and the first ones were rolling off the line after years of inflation and anticipation, and you had announced at the outset that the projected prices were subject to change, and nothing unforeseen occurred, how would you handle it?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you were running Tesla, and you had deposits on about a million CTs, and the first ones were rolling off the line after years of inflation and anticipation, and you had announced at the outset that the projected prices were subject to change, and nothing unforeseen occurred, how would you handle it?
In the projected sales price, actuary hats would compute potential cost increases so I would be able to make an informed decision on the sales price.

Pandemic is an edge case that may lead to a price adjustment.

If I were proactive, and I am, I would be working furiously to maintain or improve my costs model to maintain my original promoted price.

If the limits of the cost model is exceeded, an analysis is done at what is the greatest impact of keeping original prices or how much the public would accept an increase while minimizing cancelled orders.

I would not raise prices just because I can for the existing reservation holders, IMO, doing so would be a poor business decision.

Neither would I sell at a loss jeopardizing the company’s health.

What would I do? I would make every rational effort to maintain the originally stated sales price to reservation owners while generating profit. I believe Tesla can achieve with the current state the world is in. Caveat, I am not in the know so predictions may be off.

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
Guaranteed the price on this will unfortunately go up.