Tesla Engineer Saying No to Europe

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
In the Top Gear article, Lars Moravy, VP of Engineering, seems to strongly hint that it will not come to Europe. The reason being that apparently European regulations require corner radius for edges to be such that is not possible with thick stainless steel.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/tesla/cybertruck/buying
Sponsored

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
I think there's hope, but not near term hope. The EU has a bunch of regs that speak to pedestrian safety and a big part of that involves designing the front end of the car to help people survive an impact with a moving vehicle.

The shape of the front end and what it is made of both factor in. These regs want the front end to crumple, and for the pedestrian be sort of rolled up onto the hood. A low hood and rounded nose profile help a bunch with that. It is hard to see how Tesla could homologate CT in the EU with the current design.

Not many pickups of CT's size are offered in the EU anyway. There are just too many places where they don't fit very well. When Tesla has the manufacturing capacity it'd be fun to see how they'd map CT thinking to something like the VW Amarok. Surely what we yanks would call a mid-sized pickup could have a worldwide audience, but it'd have to play nice with EU pedestrian safety regs.

I once argued the reverse -that the regs could change because vehicles will get better at protecting pedestrians through electronic safety measures. Yet here we are, with a CT design sporting exterior rear view mirrors four years after one showed up on stage without 'em. I must eat an appropriate amount of crow. Regs don't change that easily.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I think there's hope, but not near term hope. The EU has a bunch of regs that speak to pedestrian safety and a big part of that involves designing the front end of the car to help people survive an impact with a moving vehicle.

The shape of the front end and what it is made of both factor in. These regs want the front end to crumple, and for the pedestrian be sort of rolled up onto the hood. A low hood and rounded nose profile help a bunch with that. It is hard to see how Tesla could homologate CT in the EU with the current design.

Not many pickups of CT's size are offered in the EU anyway. There are just too many places where they don't fit very well. When Tesla has the manufacturing capacity it'd be fun to see how they'd map CT thinking to something like the VW Amarok. Surely what we yanks would call a mid-sized pickup could have a worldwide audience, but it'd have to play nice with EU pedestrian safety regs.

I once argued the reverse -that the regs could change because vehicles will get better at protecting pedestrians through electronic safety measures. Yet here we are, with a CT design sporting exterior rear view mirrors four years after one showed up on stage without 'em. I must eat an appropriate amount of crow. Regs don't change that easily.
Australia might be a different story.... we're all about giving stuff a FAIR GO!

dorylee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck FS AWD, LR Defender 90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
One thing I can say from my experience working there as an engineer is, things can change very fast within the company. I can't even count how many times we were told the program scope has major change because of xyz lol

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
I love when tesla says things are impossible from one side and then say they make the impossible possible from the other side of their mouth.
Sponsored