Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
My second laptop was a 286 with 640K RAM and a monochrome screen ^-^ I don't remember if it had a hard drive.

-Crissa
The first PC I worked on (for a family owned medical supply company) while in college was the original IBM PC, 8086, with two 5 1/4 floppy drives. I convinced them to spend some bucks ($1000? I don't remember) for a 10 MB hard drive that I installed myself. How could I ever fill that up?

Back to the OT, I have always believed that when Elon promises these ranges (roadster, semi, CT) he is looking forward to what his research dept has promised him will be available when the finally get around to producing them.
Sponsored

rgroody

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
Ski Instructor
Country flag
My one bugaboo about EV vehicles is the time to recharge. It is one thing to do overnight charging at home. When I am on a long trip I don’t want to spend an hour or more charging. I was at a supercharger last night chatting up a model 3 driver who just returned from an extended drive. 90 minutes later he is done. And there are no bathrooms at the supercharger. With COVID places are restrictive or closed later in the evening. With ICE it maybe 10 minutes including potty and snack break.
One misconception about EV’s is that people feel they have to fill up. I have a long range M3 which I drove across country (Philly to CA-Total Supercharger cost $100) and I did not spend more than 35 minutes at a Supercharger....because all you need is enough charge to get you to the next Supercharger. This approach will also give you the fastest charging (80-100% is the slowest to protect the battery). Never going back to fossil fuel....benefits significantly outweigh the cons.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
One misconception about EV’s is that people feel they have to fill up. I have a long range M3 which I drove across country (Philly to CA-Total Supercharger cost $100) and I did not spend more than 35 minutes at a Supercharger....because all you need is enough charge to get you to the next Supercharger. This approach will also give you the fastest charging (80-100% is the slowest to protect the battery). Never going back to fossil fuel....benefits significantly outweigh the cons.

No argument there. 35 minutes though is over 3 times longer than my average stop if I have to use the bathroom. And as stated before, no potty at super chargers. That means one more stop and wasted time.

I want in and out. Each stop adds time to my journey. I want that 700 mile battery. As the old saying goes; I have people to see, places to go, things to do.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
No argument there. 35 minutes though is over 3 times longer than my average stop if I have to use the bathroom. And as stated before, no potty at super chargers. That means one more stop and wasted time.
There have been restrooms available at every supercharger I've been to. They are strategically located near food and bathroom services as a rule.
Sponsored