Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Doesn't aviation reserve depend upon how long of a landing area the aircraft requires? So a vtol has a smaller reserve than a jumbo airliner? And something that glides has nearly no required reserve?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can see battery powered AC for under 100 miles but it will take a huge step up to get beyond that. The weight vs range/ power is the problem. Aviation relies on a reserve of about 1/2 of the useful range. This makes the range/ power so difficult. Rerouting and alternate field is necessary due to a variety of reasons.
I can’t see Tesla pursuing aircraft unless it will transform the industry.

Short hop aircraft would not be transformative. Thus not interesting to Tesla.

This was just blind speculation on my part. You are very likely correct.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Doesn't aviation reserve depend upon how long of a landing area the aircraft requires? So a vtol has a smaller reserve than a jumbo airliner? And something that glides has nearly no required reserve?

-Crissa
Large aircraft glide quite well and a significant reserve is still required. There is a famous flight where a commercial jet glided more than 100 miles to land.

They are required to have a reserve, but I’m pretty sure you only need huge (50%) reserves if you are crossing large bodies of water.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There's something about it increasing the reflectivity of the atmosphere as a whole. Sodium is also a plasma layer around the Earth, which is how it degrades...

But that's all I really know. Different chemicals reflect and scatter at different wavelengths, this is why atmospheres are different colors.

-Crissa

PS: I love that we all bring different experiences in and challenge each other! My spouse was laid off the week later as the second tech crash was triggered starting with the airline and communications industry having a huge contraction. She was a cellular testing equipment engineer - they made the stuff to test cellular sites and the telecoms had overinvested in land links and as digital compression came into the market it actually shrank the amount of bandwidth being consumed and left huge amounts of bandwidth unused.

She got better, tho, she caught a job at Stanford working for a NASA contractor and her code got to fly in space... and then she got to update that spacecraft while in flight. ^-^
I agree, I learn a lot from many points of view. That is why I am here.

Change is often good for the economy in the long run. Often scary for individuals in the short run.

I will take a high school physics stab in the dark. While the sun light that hits the contrails is reflected back to space, much of it does hit the ground and gets reflected back at the contrail where it bounces back and forth between to earth and whatever in the atmosphere reflects that energy back. (Clouds, contrails or NaCl) as you said along with more light energy and heat in the infrared spectrum

The aerosols in geoengineering will form a more more continuous layer preventing more energy from ever hitting the surface. While the bounce back is still happening, less radiation is hitting the earth surface to start with.?????

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, a more contiguous layer would straight up reduce the light coming to the surface. It also might be more refractive than reflective, unlike clouds.

-Crissa
Sponsored