Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If ppl could now just buy the cheapest EV and use the superchargers they will get clogged up really quickly.
The cheapest EVs can't take advantage of the version 2 and 3 Superchargers, so it's not worth it for them to pay the price to use them.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
i dunno the best thing about buying a tesla right now is the charging infrastructure. That is why its ok to pay the premium for a tesla, its one of the main reason i got my MYP. If ppl could now just buy the cheapest EV and use the superchargers they will get clogged up really quickly. In SF where we have thousands of teslas, we only have 1 decent supercharger. Tesla should look into leasing or buying out some warehouses in the dogpatch area and build out a multiple level charging hub open 24/7, like 100 chargers. Would be a huge investment, but last i checked they have tons of cash.
The “best” thing?

I enjoy the Supercharger network, but I only use it about once a month.

Honestly so many other things I love about my car and use on a daily basis I wouldn’t put the Supercharger up on top.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But which ones are unique to Tesla?

-Crissa
It’s hard for me to say since I haven’t shopped other comparable priced cars.

Autopilot is amazing for us (I know others have issues with it).

The whole console/ infotainment system/ car computer is miles better than anything else I’ve seen in the industry.

Of course I haven’t checked out a new BMW or Audi so hard for me to know.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I am a bit concerned about the no indicators in front of the wheel. I will probably add a heads-up or some additional dedicated speedometer. Having to glance to the right for info seems to me a distraction and something I want to not have to deal with.

Kinevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,Model 3, IONIC 5, Model Y
Occupation
USN
Country flag
It’s hard for me to say since I haven’t shopped other comparable priced cars.

Autopilot is amazing for us (I know others have issues with it).

The whole console/ infotainment system/ car computer is miles better than anything else I’ve seen in the industry.

Of course I haven’t checked out a new BMW or Audi so hard for me to know.
Originally I agreed with you in not having the supercharger network as a high priority. I've met some Telsa owners who live in apartments and townhomes where they can't charge at home so their only viable charging solutions are superchargers and public charging. Also, lifestyle plays a significant role and hoping to show you what a good deal we have with this supercharger network, even if you're lucky enough not have to use it. I have M3 and wife recently upgraded her ICE to Ionic 5 when our lease was over in April. Couldn't wait for MY because we're both active duty military. Two cars are vital and the MY availability was September. Since she’s gotten it, we’ve charged in five different EA locations within 30 miles from home and work, and there has not been a time when there was not something wrong with one or two of their stalls. The whole concept is idiotic and ridiculous when you’ve been using the Tesla network for so long. and she loves her car but even she can see some significant advantaged with Tesla. I mainly charge at home over night, but utilize the supercharger network heavily, having to travel around, sometimes very unexpectedly, at various distances and times. My interaction with EA since getting the Ionic has ranged from mildly frustrating to infuriating.
Getting to the charging station there are generally only two to three stalls. If there are three stalls there six cable connections and because there are two connections to each stall, one would think “you can use one stall/station to charge two cars”..but that’s not the case at all, one stall charges one car. Upon arriving, stations one can visually tell one is clearly not working, so I pull into the stall that “obviously” works. 7 out of 10 times the “working” stall that I've pulled into, shows up as "ready for use" via EA phone app and/or native car app. I get out, plug in, think everything’s fine then get back into the car and sit down for a moment getting comfortable for my 20-25min wait.....and then realize that there is something wrong because the car isn’t charging(rookie mistake getting into the car without ensuring charging is initialized especially since ionic literally tells you when "charging started" but old habits since I've never had to second guess plugging the M3) I get out disconnect then reconnect, because that EA’s main trouble shooting method, and stand out there waiting for it to initialize,.. only to find out there is something wrong with with that stall also. If you’re lucky there is a third stall (most of the locations we use have that third stall, but there are some with only two) someone’s in it charging and looking at you, shaking their head because they've just went through the whole “process” and feel your pain, and expedite to allow you to charge asap. If you’re not lucky, there's an EV at the working stall spot, that’s been finished charging 15min ago, however the owner is in Walmart on a shopping spree. That’s something I’ve never had to worry about with Tesla surcharging. We know ahead of time if it works or available, plug in charge, and leave. Simple. I know It’s a first world problem, but it's very frustrating when you have a finite amount of time to problem solve an issue. It certainly lowers my confidence of taking long trips, nor would I be able to effectively do my job if we were to rely on none supercharging. Either through incompetence or neglect, it’s the same locations that are repeatedly having the same issues. Tesla supercharging network is now one of my favorite parts of having a Tesla. With the amount of none Tesla EV's I've seen charging at none Tesla super chargers, I think Tesla super charger can absorb those customers without having too significant of a disruption in the supercharging network and make a premium off charging an up fee to other brands.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Originally I agreed with you in not having the supercharger network as a high priority. I've met some Telsa owners who live in apartments and townhomes where they can't charge at home so their only viable charging solutions are superchargers and public charging. Also, lifestyle plays a significant role and hoping to show you what a good deal we have with this supercharger network, even if you're lucky enough not have to use it. I have M3 and wife recently upgraded her ICE to Ionic 5 when our lease was over in April. Couldn't wait for MY because we're both active duty military. Two cars are vital and the MY availability was September. Since she’s gotten it, we’ve charged in five different EA locations within 30 miles from home and work, and there has not been a time when there was not something wrong with one or two of their stalls. The whole concept is idiotic and ridiculous when you’ve been using the Tesla network for so long. and she loves her car but even she can see some significant advantaged with Tesla. I mainly charge at home over night, but utilize the supercharger network heavily, having to travel around, sometimes very unexpectedly, at various distances and times. My interaction with EA since getting the Ionic has ranged from mildly frustrating to infuriating.
Getting to the charging station there are generally only two to three stalls. If there are three stalls there six cable connections and because there are two connections to each stall, one would think “you can use one stall/station to charge two cars”..but that’s not the case at all, one stall charges one car. Upon arriving, stations one can visually tell one is clearly not working, so I pull into the stall that “obviously” works. 7 out of 10 times the “working” stall that I've pulled into, shows up as "ready for use" via EA phone app and/or native car app. I get out, plug in, think everything’s fine then get back into the car and sit down for a moment getting comfortable for my 20-25min wait.....and then realize that there is something wrong because the car isn’t charging(rookie mistake getting into the car without ensuring charging is initialized especially since ionic literally tells you when "charging started" but old habits since I've never had to second guess plugging the M3) I get out disconnect then reconnect, because that EA’s main trouble shooting method, and stand out there waiting for it to initialize,.. only to find out there is something wrong with with that stall also. If you’re lucky there is a third stall (most of the locations we use have that third stall, but there are some with only two) someone’s in it charging and looking at you, shaking their head because they've just went through the whole “process” and feel your pain, and expedite to allow you to charge asap. If you’re not lucky, there's an EV at the working stall spot, that’s been finished charging 15min ago, however the owner is in Walmart on a shopping spree. That’s something I’ve never had to worry about with Tesla surcharging. We know ahead of time if it works or available, plug in charge, and leave. Simple. I know It’s a first world problem, but it's very frustrating when you have a finite amount of time to problem solve an issue. It certainly lowers my confidence of taking long trips, nor would I be able to effectively do my job if we were to rely on none supercharging. Either through incompetence or neglect, it’s the same locations that are repeatedly having the same issues. Tesla supercharging network is now one of my favorite parts of having a Tesla. With the amount of none Tesla EV's I've seen charging at none Tesla super chargers, I think Tesla super charger can absorb those customers without having too significant of a disruption in the supercharging network and make a premium off charging an up fee to other brands.
I've never had those problems with EA. Except for my very first charge with EA, I've been charging in less than 1-2 minutes on the first try. My have never had a problem with EA either. Following the Rivian Forums, most people are finding EA to be reliable and workable. I have found though that the payment readers don't work well and always initiate the charge through the app, not the charger. Agree, though the non-Tesla charging network is not as easy as it should be, requiring different apps and payment methods. Tesla's advantage is Superchargers are optimized for Teslas, both in plug and charge and current delivery (volts/amps).

Kinevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,Model 3, IONIC 5, Model Y
Occupation
USN
Country flag
I've never had those problems with EA. Except for my very first charge with EA, I've been charging in less than 1-2 minutes on the first try. My have never had a problem with EA either. Following the Rivian Forums, most people are finding EA to be reliable and workable. I have found though that the payment readers don't work well and always initiate the charge through the app, not the charger. Agree, though the non-Tesla charging network is not as easy as it should be, requiring different apps and payment methods. Tesla's advantage is Superchargers are optimized for Teslas, both in plug and charge and current delivery (volts/amps).
I am very glad you’ve never had those issues. It shows that other viable charging companies are coming up and reliability if not all together main stream, will be here sometime in the very near future. Let me be clear, it is a first world problem, and we’ve been spoiled with the supercharger network. I’m wondering in those forums (to include other EV brands) how many have utilized supercharger network in order to build a proper comparison? Even the statement of “charging in 1-2 minutes on the first try” is usually none existent with TS. I’ve had a year of free supercharging (which I’ve taken advantage of….a lot), plus free supercharging from referrals, and throughout two years, there were three times when something was wrong with where I plugged in….and there were over five to eight more stalls to choose from. I’ve used the EA network three months and there has been something wrong with at least one stall out of three, the majority of times we have visited EA. Zack and Jesse from “now you know”, just did an “Indept” review on their Rivian camping trip. Although the main problem seems to be a software update, their other issue IRT EA is relatable to my wife and I, at least with the relatively small sample of EA chargers we have visited. We have taken trips, out of state with relatively little planning, confident in the Tesla supercharger network. That confidence has lessened slightly with the experience we’ve had with charging outside of the supercharger network. I can’t wait for the day that other networks have matured as much as Tesla has, and hopefully it would be soon.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Following the Rivian Forums, most people are finding EA to be reliable and workable.
I guess you haven't been following Rivian Forum recently. Posts are pouring in reporting problems of various degree with the CCS network in general - not just EA though they get their share of black eyes too.

I have found though that the payment readers don't work well and always initiate the charge through the app, not the charger.
In many of the gripes the user eventually got a charge but after extensive interaction with the help line and sometimes giving up on the card reader in favor of the app was the cure.

"Workable" after fiddling around for half an hour is not acceptable - especially to those of us used to Tesla.

Tesla's advantage is Superchargers are optimized for Teslas, both in plug and charge and current delivery (volts/amps).
True for the software/communications/billing part. Not true for the volts/amps part. Their chargers are current limited voltage regulated power supplies - just like everyone else's.
Sponsored

Last edited: