First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla quietly disabled the autopilot feature on a Model S

Anyone see this article? While I'm...%80 sure Tesla will make it right. This is the type of scenario that would totally piss me off and may change my mind about getting FSD for the CT. My wife drives a Model 3 standard range plus (no FSD) and I've ordered a FSD dual-motor Cybertruck. I would expect that having paid the cost for the AI board that allows for FSD I would be able to sell my CT if I chose in future with that option included. I may use the FSD once and while but for me it is the resale I'm thinking about.
Alternately if Tesla wants to make it subscription based the cost to turn the switch back on should be peanuts, similar to premium package and one time cost, non of this monthly indentured servitude nonsense.
Sponsored

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I saw the article. I hope they make it right as well.

Incidentally, I didn't opt for FSD. I LIKE to drive, and I couldn't see $7K of future benefits in just software. I probably don't know enough about it though.

OP
OP
VI Tesla

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I saw the article. I hope they make it right as well.

Incidentally, I didn't opt for FSD. I LIKE to drive, and I couldn't see $7K of future benefits in just software. I probably don't know enough about it though.
I din't to start with either. But the more I hear about the future use of these vehicles. i.e. someone wants to buy your CT as an investment...I'm honestly still debating, I'll make the final decision at purchase.

AussieCyber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan
Country flag
Tesla quietly disabled the autopilot feature on a Model S

Anyone see this article? While I'm...%80 sure Tesla will make it right. This is the type of scenario that would totally piss me off and may change my mind about getting FSD for the CT. My wife drives a Model 3 standard range plus (no FSD) and I've ordered a FSD dual-motor Cybertruck. I would expect that having paid the cost for the AI board that allows for FSD I would be able to sell my CT if I chose in future with that option included. I may use the FSD once and while but for me it is the resale I'm thinking about.
Alternately if Tesla wants to make it subscription based the cost to turn the switch back on should be peanuts, similar to premium package and one time cost, non of this monthly indentured servitude nonsense.

It would certainly make sense to allow the feature to be "on sold" as it has already been paid for. Wouldn't be good it you paid extra for a feature and were not able to partly get that back on resale, UNLESS of course Tesla were to repay that cost back to you when you decide to sell it and they then went ahead and deactivated it, otherwise they are shortchanging both you AND the new owner.

OP
OP
VI Tesla

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
It would certainly make sense to allow the feature to be "on sold" as it has already been paid for. Wouldn't be good it you paid extra for a feature and were not able to partly get that back on resale, UNLESS of course Tesla were to repay that cost back to you when you decide to sell it and they then went ahead and deactivated it, otherwise they are shortchanging both you AND the new owner.
So the way i understand it now is that POST April 2019 all Model 3's came with the FSD AI computer, Whether you ordered FSD or not. You could then pay $s to activate it if you wanted at a higher rate.
So I asume the CT will also come equipped likewise. This scenario only makes sense to me if you plan to make your car work for you i.e. let it taxi itself out when you're not using it. Not what I'm interested in, so i will probably decline FSD when comes time to order. Not worth the dollars for the few times I may use the feature.

Anyone understand this differently please let me know.

Nanodot

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forster
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
YIKES - i never even considered that i would have to subscribe to a service in addition to buying this addon feature. Not sure I like the idea of my truck "held hostage" by a software developer If i decide not to renew my update service or resell the CT. Definitely need to re-think this novelty feature (for my needs)... Then there are those mandatory hardware upgrade purchases that will likely be required to keep the vehicle "current."

OP
OP
VI Tesla

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
YIKES - i never even considered that i would have to subscribe to a service in addition to buying this addon feature. Not sure I like the idea of my truck "held hostage" by a software developer If i decide not to renew my update service or resell the CT. Definitely need to re-think this novelty feature (for my needs)... Then there are those mandatory hardware upgrade purchases that will likely be required to keep the vehicle "current."
No update purchases required. You can subscribe to some premium service if you choose, ie spotify, netflix. But the over the air updates do not cost you.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Not a good look for the company and judging by what I'm reading online there's lots of blowback for this move. With FSD getting more expensive as it's becoming more full fledged there's gonna be some real upset owners. But I think they'll reverse course and won't be disabling FSD in the future. If they don't, they're for sure going to see take rate for FSD drop.
Sponsored