Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well, that would be bad. Though... The entire drivetrain is computer controlled. Which you might as well ask, what if it doesn't decide to go in the direction I wanted? Well, that can happen now.

-Crissa
The smart money in that situation is probably to step on the brake pedal.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The smart money in that situation is probably to step on the brake pedal.
This. The brakes are required, by regulation, to be able to overwhelm the motors. Tesla goes the additional step of using the brake as a separate kill-switch for the motor.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
There are physical buttons for changing gears on the new S. They are located just below the wireless charge pad. You just press the button for the gear you want, no one needs to panic.

I'd say 95% of the time it's pretty obvious which way I want to go. Parked in my parking spot at work, home or the shopping mall? Yup, you guessed it Tesla, I want to go out of the parking spot. Shifting is a waste of time, most of the time. I can see luxury companies scrambling to copy this right now, but lacking the self-driving AI to do it.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Finally.. a way to prevent Humans from going into the wrong gear and driving into store fronts and restaurants.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Finally.. a way to prevent Humans from going into the wrong gear and driving into store fronts and restaurants.
How are young kids supposed to do a smash and grab if the car won’t smash through the front of the store?

cary1219

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSD Tri-Motor CyberTruck Pre-Order RN114148589, 2016 FSD Tesla Model S 75, 1982 C10 Stepside, 1974 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Occupation
Industrial Training Coordinator
Country flag
... you might as well ask, what if it doesn't decide to go in the direction I wanted? ....

-Crissa
I learned the hard way in my S that it puts itself in park if your butt comes off the seat. I back up old school, with my arm over the passenger seat and my butt lifted up to see out the back. When I lift too far, the car puts itself in park. So another option, if the breaks didn't work, is to lift your weight off the seat and the car will stop.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
The horizontally adjustable screen sounds nice for when you’re alone. But I can see that more with an instrument cluster as well so you get all signals and necessary information even though the copilot is hugging the screen. Especially if you need the screen for emergency gear shifts etc and what have you.
Sponsored