ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Soure: https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/te...illion-semi-manufacturing-facility-in-nevada/

Tesla to announce $3.5 billion Semi manufacturing facility in Nevada on Tuesday

January 23, 2023

Tesla is preparing to announce a new $3.5 billion advanced manufacturing facility in Nevada where the company will build its Semi truck. The new factory will be announced alongside state officials, including Governor Joe Lombardo during an event at Giga Nevada on Tuesday.

Tesla was originally planning to build the Semi truck at its newest factory in the US, Giga Texas. Those plans changed slightly and Tesla switched to building the Semi at a new manufacturing facility just a few minutes up the road from Giga Nevada. Although Tesla never confirmed it it was presumed that they were sticking with their original plan and would eventually move production over to Giga Texas.

Those plans have now again changed and Tesla appears as though it will be keeping Semi production in Nevada.

Per the Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo today:

“…I am looking forward to joining Elon Musk and the team at Tesla tomorrow when they unveil plans to build a brand new $3.5 billion advanced manufacturing facility in northern Nevada for the company’s all-electric semi-trucks,” Lombardo said. (via The Nevada Independant)​
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Soure: https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/te...illion-semi-manufacturing-facility-in-nevada/

January 23, 2023

Tesla is preparing to announce a new $3.5 billion advanced manufacturing facility in Nevada where the company will build its Semi truck. The new factory will be announced alongside state officials, including Governor Joe Lombardo during an event at Giga Nevada on Tuesday.

Tesla was originally planning to build the Semi truck at its newest factory in the US, Giga Texas. Those plans changed slightly and Tesla switched to building the Semi at a new manufacturing facility just a few minutes up the road from Giga Nevada. Although Tesla never confirmed it it was presumed that they were sticking with their original plan and would eventually move production over to Giga Texas.

Those plans have now again changed and Tesla appears as though it will be keeping Semi production in Nevada.

“…I am looking forward to joining Elon Musk and the team at Tesla tomorrow when they unveil plans to build a brand new $3.5 billion advanced manufacturing facility in northern Nevada for the company’s all-electric semi-trucks,” Lombardo said. (via The Nevada Independant)​

Maybe this means Tesla Semi will continue to use Giga Nevada Panasonic produced 2170 cells and also that Tesla needed all the unused space at Tesla Austin to ramp to huge volumes the 4680 based Cybertruck.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It makes sense when a vehicle requires that many HEAVY batteries, to build them near the battery plant. Way less shipping costs. Well done Tesla!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The extreme growth phase.

And So It Begins.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Does this mean that Austin will now have room to add the new paint line with the gorgeous red for US Model Ys?

Asking for a friend.....

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Does this mean that Austin will now have room to add the new paint line with the gorgeous red for US Model Ys?

Asking for a friend.....
They’ve been expanding paint for a few months :)

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

January 23, 2023

Interesting that the governor thought he could announce the company's news before them.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
The extreme growth phase.

And So It Begins.
I am expecting the RV manufacturers to start knocking on the door soon. Converting a 300 mile variant into a luxury motorhome just seems like a natural progression. Once the markets gets a taste of the cost per mile, Tesla will be inundated.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
It's like they really wanna deliver 50k semi's next year or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would be insane if this is semi operational by Christmas. Pun intended.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There aren't enough skilled workers in northern Nevada for an additional giga factory. I wonder if they feel very confident in their ability to get Optimus to scale by the time the factory is built. If you have robots that can do the job then you need very few people overseeing things in an area that no one wants to live. This is the only way I see this as happening.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Twitter said:
Today, we’re announcing $3.6B of new investment in Giga Nevada. - 4M sq ft of new manufacturing footprint - 3k additional team members - 2 new manufacturing facilities: a 100 GWh 4680 cell factory & our first high-volume Semi factory
Tesla Twitter said:
BREAKING: @Tesla has officially announced it will spend $3.6B to expand Gigafactory Nevada, adding 3,000 new team members & two new factories. Included in the plans is new 100 GWh 4680 cell factory with capacity to produce enough batteries for 2M light duty vehicles annually)

Another 100 GWh of 4680 production is huge, suggests they have the kinks ironed out of the process and are ready to charge forward.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Another 100 GWh of 4680 production is huge, suggests they have the kinks ironed out of the process and are ready to charge forward.

Some people ringing the alarm, but it seems the road ahead is clear enough.

And 100 GWh. So far...new Giga's outside of China come with their own battery production facility.

Are we are aiming for 3TW or 6 TW by 2030 ?

I was under the impression it was 3... but I think I was wrong... 3TW doesn't seem to fit into 20M vehicles per year, we have scaled Semi's and CT. Plus an Energy business equally as big.

Gosh.. I need to widen my spreadsheet columns.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Some people ringing the alarm, but it seems the road ahead is clear enough.

And 100 GWh. So far...new Giga's outside of China come with their own battery production facility.

Are we are aiming for 3TW or 6 TW by 2030 ?

I was under the impression it was 3... but I think I was wrong... 3TW doesn't seem to fit into 20M vehicles per year, we have scaled Semi's and CT. Plus an Energy business equally as big.

Gosh.. I need to widen my spreadsheet columns.
I think it was 3TW, 1.5 for auto and 1.5 for storage.

If you count Berlin’s sort-of started battery facility, they have 3 100 GW facilities in various phases of construction.
Sponsored