Tesla Will be advertising! (to some extent)

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I don't understand why so many people are hung up on Tesla needing to advertise.

The purpose of adds is to increase sales.. .currently demand exceeds supply sales can NOT increase from adds till supply exceeds demand. Admittedly we ARE getting close to that point, current model y inventory IS increasing.. however that is mainly due to the price drop.. current inventory is more expensive than just ordering one off the line due to the price decrease but that will even out eventually.

bottom line.. till you have 10-15 weeks of inventory there is no need to advertise; certainly research it.. but don't invest till you need to actually increase sales!
So model S and X dont exist in your scenario?

Cause they made almost double what they sold last quarter and im thinking they're likely not at max output.

Also, production is still ramping, for the other cars too.

I don't understand why so many people start their posts with "I dont understand why people ..."

We are all tracking that even if a company is killing it, they cant just rest on their laurels right?

Tesla has great demand, but it can always be better.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
So model S and X dont exist in your scenario? Or you think they maxed out too?
Elon already stated they are only building S and X for emotional reasons...
do you really think they will invest in advertising on either model?

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Elon already stated they are only building S and X for emotional reasons...
do you really think they will invest in advertising on either model?
I think they will invest in getting the FUD and the EV myths about teslas debunked. With that comes advertising for all their cars.

Also, no one thinks that Tesla needs to drop 10s of millions or anything.

But if they popped up in an add on twitter or youtube to say literally the points that elon made about the cars at the meeting (safety, efficiency, long term ownership cost ... etc) many people would learn a thing or two

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
I think they will invest in getting the FUD and the EV myths about teslas debunked. With that comes advertising for all their cars.

Also, no one thinks that Tesla needs to drop 10s of millions or anything.

But if they popped up in an add on twitter or youtube to say literally the points that elon made about the cars at the meeting (safety, efficiency, long term ownership cost ... etc) many people would learn a thing or two
I get what you are saying.. and educating the masses is good.. but in order to educate someone a couple of things have to be present... 1> they have to WANT to learn.. 2> you have to WANT to teach... 3> you have to have information they CAN learn.....

right now most of our society is so oppositional i am not sure the people with negative thoughts of electric cars, tesla, and Elon Musk.. are willing to learn.. and if not you can not teach them.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
current model y inventory IS increasing.. however that is mainly due to the price drop..
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Will be advertising! (to some extent) 1684457767509

Elon: “we drop prices because of demand, but maybe we should consider some advertising”

don't invest till you need to actually increase sales!
Elon: *stares*

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
im not convinced Teslas will keep up its sells much longer.
-Far more competitors that are good
-they all look the same (Elon doesnt think it matters, but it does)
-Elon is pushing some buyers away... political stuff

i think the price drop plus bringing back the referral program is proof that sales r dropping.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
im not convinced Teslas will keep up its sells much longer.
-Far more competitors that are good
-they all look the same (Elon doesnt think it matters, but it does)
-Elon is pushing some buyers away... political stuff

i think the price drop plus bringing back the referral program is proof that sales r dropping.

i think the fact that sales are 40 percent higher in 2022 compared to 2021 is proof sales are NOT dropping

the algorithmic INCREASE in sales has dropped, however we all knew it had to.. the drop in prices and referral program is proof that tesla has FINALLY increased price close to a point where they can meet demand in their delivery areas.. opening up new markets is now their best option to increase sales.. thus giga Mexico etc..

In ten years tesla has gone from selling 3100 cars <2012> to selling 1313815 <in 2022>

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Here's an interesting thought. Tesla sales go up from all the Superbowl ads for EVs. So what if Tesla took the high road with their advertising, and instead of focusing on Tesla, the ads focus on selling the public of the benefits of EV's, and explained why they are better than ICE. And somehow at the end, sliding in the little secret, "when you do buy an EV, why not buy the best". :p

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i think the fact that sales are 40 percent higher in 2022 compared to 2021 is proof sales are NOT dropping

the algorithmic INCREASE in sales has dropped, however we all knew it had to.. the drop in prices and referral program is proof that tesla has FINALLY increased price close to a point where they can meet demand in their delivery areas.. opening up new markets is now their best option to increase sales.. thus giga Mexico etc..

In ten years tesla has gone from selling 3100 cars <2012> to selling 1313815 <in 2022>
oh yea... I hadnt thought about the fact that they are making vastly more cars. good point (y)

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla has great demand, but it can always be better.
Tesla offers great value for your money. But it could always be worse.

I just hope any advertising spends are so minimal as to be insignificant to the price it will add to the car. Legacy auto spends billions on advertising and make their customers pay for it. It's one reason the average sale price for a new vehicle in America is pushing $50K. The money to pay for those advertising campaigns doesn't grow on trees, it comes from the hard-earned money of their customers.

By the time I'm ready to buy a car, I already know what I'll be buying because I've researched the available options. And none of my research involves watching expensive advertising campaigns. In fact, I discount information received from advertising as biased.

Keep in mind that significant advertising spends will make EV's significantly more expensive relative to gas cars, especially so if the advertising is effective enough to significantly increase demand because Tesla prices the cars to balance supply and demand.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Tesla offers great value for your money. But it could always be worse.

I just hope any advertising spends are so minimal as to be insignificant to the price it will add to the car. Legacy auto spends billions on advertising and make their customers pay for it. It's one reason the average sale price for a new vehicle in America is pushing $50K. The money to pay for those advertising campaigns doesn't grow on trees, it comes from the hard-earned money of their customers.

By the time I'm ready to buy a car, I already know what I'll be buying because I've researched the available options. And none of my research involves watching expensive advertising campaigns. In fact, I discount information received from advertising as biased.

Keep in mind that significant advertising spends will make EV's significantly more expensive relative to gas cars, especially so if the advertising is effective enough to significantly increase demand because Tesla prices the cars to balance supply and demand.
I think they'll go from none to very little.

Like this Vid

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think they'll go from none to very little.

Like this Vid

I agree, like anything there's a wide spectrum, and I can't imagine going ALL IN and spending massive amounts of money to try and create more demand for vehicles only to expand the waiting list's. They want to use their money on ads to give the public a better understanding of who they are as a company. Actually, I bet the goal will be to educate, and getting investment in Tesla, with a side of creating demand. Think about all the money legacy spends advertising on EVs that are being produced at a minimum scale. A lot of that advertising is going after investors.
Sponsored