Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
I don’t have a Tesla yet but I see Tesla’s only limitation is range. Well it’s my major concern, Why would anyone be upset about a 700 Mile range the more the merrier, with factors like cold temperatures drain the battery, hot temperatures drain the battery a/c drains the battery, heater drains the battery terrain, Hills, towing, drain the battery And all electronics drain the battery. Granted ice vehicles do drain more fuel when operating a/c and terrain or towing but 15 minutes the tank is full
Sponsored

isync

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ct
Country flag
as far as range goes, the more the merrier.
more range gives me a peace of mind ..
choices of not HAVE to pee at particular charging station
choices of hood up trailer for a good long run in a short notice
choices of forgo one day or a few days of hookup charger at home because I am lazy or simply just forgotten
choices of drive an EV truck more like a ICE truck with many benefits that ICE trucks can't provide
and many, many other choices that make me happier when driving an EV truck

besides, when competition starting to toss 500+ mile EV, I'd hate CT is behind the curve.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
My current Tesla (X) has range about the same or a bit more than my Lexus. I never even thought about range with the Lexus. Why do we obsess so much over it with these BEV? Two reasons, I suppose, the first being that fueling stations are not as numerous. This problem is going away. The second is probably because the days of 200 mi or less range are only a year or so in the past. That problem has gone away.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My current Tesla (X) has range about the same or a bit more than my Lexus. I never even thought about range with the Lexus. Why do we obsess so much over it with these BEV? Two reasons, I suppose, the first being that fueling stations are not as numerous. This problem is going away. The second is probably because the days of 200 mi or less range are only a year or so in the past. That problem has gone away.
There's more reasons actually.

What if the charging station you have scheduled for your next charge is down? It could happen, not often but it could happen, and the next available charging station is out of your current range or you have to go to a subpar one with slow charging rates.

It will take a few years for the charging network to get the "level of comfort" for the possible new EV'ers. So range will be important until then in those situations.

For the truck buyer things change somewhat. You are taking on more than just passengers and some cargo for range. You need more range depending how much weight you will be taking on.

And for some they will be taking their trucks in off-road, unimproved roads or dirt roads where regular range calculations differ.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There's more reasons actually.

What if the charging station you have scheduled for your next charge is down? It could happen, not often but it could happen, and the next available charging station is out of your current range or you have to go to a subpar one with slow charging rates.
I've been in worse situations in the Lexus. But I don't worry about it in the Lexus and I don't worry about it in the Tesla.

It will take a few years for the charging network to get the "level of comfort" for the possible new EV'ers. So range will be important until then in those situations.
I bolded where I did because I think, as I implied in #65 that the reason we worry about these things is more because of the way they were in the past rather than because of the way they actually are today. Before I went BEV I worried a lot about this. Once I started driving the car I realized that "range anxiety" was largely FUD.

For the truck buyer things..
..are entirely different. The 500 mile range of the CT isn't for driving around town or to your cabin at the lake. It is there so you can pull a load that weighs more than twice what the vehicle does more than 100 mi without having to stop for fuel. Only a tiny proportion of potential buyers are thinking of taking their 14,000 pound 5th wheelers from Miami to Seattle with a CT. I expect that the majority of them will, as real world towing experiece reports roll in, cancel their orders.

But don't get me wrong. I ordered the TriMotor and not for the torque.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As has been mentioned it is always a 3-pronged issue: range, charging availability, and charging time. We want the range until such a time as the time it takes to charge approaches that of an ICE car/truck, or there are enough chargers available that we don't have to sit in line like when there were gas shortages (and I do remember them). You are certainly right that more EVs have range in excess of 300 miles and that is good, but I think the threshold for many is 400 real miles. We are only just entering that era now.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I had researched last fall several trucks and was planning to buy a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon this summer... Then the CyberTruck was announced.

Now I am considering buying a Zero Motorcycle and waiting to get my CyberTruck...
I would pick the Cybertruck over the Gladiator everyday. I think the Cybertruck will work with my family the best (wife and 4 kids), but it is a massive vehicle.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would pick the Cybertruck over the Gladiator everyday. I think the Cybertruck will work with my family the best (wife and 4 kids), but it is a massive vehicle.
Re the @idjessee comment, the Zeros are nice, especially now that they have a faired version of the SR, but gee they are expensive, about half the price of an M3 LR.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The EsseEsse9 is street/upright ergonomics. Energica are larger than Zeros, with a range of postures. But no off-road capability. The bigger guys seem to prefer them to the Zeros,
The nearest Energica dealer is over 500 miles away... Zero dealership is less than 100 miles away (like 60ish). Sure, I could go there, test ride it, buy it, bring it back, but then if I needed any issues looked at, another 543 miles or more one way to get it looked at by an authorized dealer...

Pictures are not the best for determining fit...

$22,823.00 for what I want... Not going to happen. The family accountant says cannot exceed $20k.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Re the @idjessee comment, the Zeros are nice, especially now that they have a faired version of the SR, but gee they are expensive, about half the price of an M3 LR.
Yeah, but at $17k (Zero DSR Black Forest), it is actually only a $2k above a comparable gas bike (BMW F850GS Adventure).

I had my last motorcycle longer than I have owned any car (just realized that) at 10 years.

A HarleyDavidson Livewire is $30k and not a big bike.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have also picked the Cybertruck over the Gladiator. It is just a matter of money... I get only one vehicle loan at a time (as determined by the family accountant), so if I get a more expensive bike, that means a longer wait for the CyberTruck...

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yeah, but at $17k (Zero DSR Black Forest), it is actually only a $2k above a comparable gas bike (BMW F850GS Adventure).

I had my last motorcycle longer than I have owned any car (just realized that) at 10 years.

A HarleyDavidson Livewire is $30k and not a big bike.
Yeah, the Harley Livewire is ridiculous.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
We obsess because ICE vehicles have places to charge (refuel) on every freaking block. This gas station maybe busy, but that one across the street is open. Truck stops all over the highways. etc. When EV recharging is as fast and convenient as fossil fuel stations (and with the amenities they have) then range is not going to be the concern it is now.

NOTE: Germany is mandating more EV charging at petrol stations to be implemented over the next decade. In my mind this would be a wise move for the oil companies to transition to.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What if the charging gas station you have scheduled for your next charge is down?
And for some they will be taking their trucks in off-road, unimproved roads or dirt roads where regular range calculations differ.
Yes, usually off road is more range, since the speed is slower.

Yeah, the Harley Livewire is ridiculous.
It's the Porche of electric bikes, though. It's supposed to be.

The nearest Energica dealer is over 500 miles away...
Yeah, they need more dealers. Their service response is really good, tho, they're willing to ship bikes at times.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: