Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I disagree with the statement "most of us don't need 700 mile range".

There are just too many scenarios to list to justify the need for a 700 mile range.

About Elon's statement about battery-powered aircraft........headline: "Elon to take on Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Airbus". ?

Elon could also take on battery-powered locomotives and win! Tesla Locomotives......yep!?

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag

There are just too many scenarios to list to justify the need for a 700 mile range.
I can drop that 700 miles to 125 on a regular day. It's not just a EV issue but specific work(physics definition of work) still requires a set amount of energy. It will truly be the start of the New World when battery energy density is that of petroleum. Won't happen for years though.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can drop that 700 miles to 125 on a regular day
That takes a lot of work, brother! Kudos to the working man!

It will truly be the start of the New World when battery energy density is that of petroleum. Won't happen for years though

Battery energy density won't ever have to be equal to petroleum because the laws of thermodynamics work against the ICE.

So to use a portion of the title of this thread...."is coming sooner than you think";)

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

Toss a trailer on the CT and see who needs a 700 mile battery.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
How many ICE sold vehicles have a range of 700 miles?
The larger diesel trucks with extra gas tanks... but how many other vehicles?

I think this kind of thinking is what is keeping many people from switching to EVs.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Apples and oranges argument really.

When talking about range it's different with ICE. It doesn't take long to fill up an ICE and fuel stations are rarely a problem. So range is never the problem.

With an EV available charging stations are the problem mostly since the charging time is becoming less of an issue.

It's mostly about travel with EV's and not daily commutes back and forth to work. For some people range is not an issue but it seems those same people want to fit their situation for all or most people. Since they don't need it then it should not ever be considered as a problem.

I think this kind of thinking is what is keeping many people from switching to EVs.

Not if you think of it from from a different point of view.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
It's mostly about travel with EV's and not daily commutes back and forth to work. For some people range is not an issue but it seems those same people want to fit their situation for all or most people. Since they don't need it then it should not ever be considered as a problem.
Most people never use their car for anything other than commuting. I was shocked that having driven to 3 of the 4 corners of the contiguous 48 states how many of my coworkers had not driven out of the state or beyond the surrounding states.

I also consider the environmental impact of ICE vehicles. Getting rid of ICE vehicles is not a thing to do because it is the latest tech, it is because the ICE vehicles pollute more than EVs.

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
I am looking a this as more towing that actual miles. 700 milers of range i don't really need but 300 miles towing a boat or other trailer i do need. It is capacity not range we need in n reality. A 700 mile range means more tow capasitiy.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most people never use their car for anything other than commuting.

It should be noted in this discussion about the car vs truck thing. Since I live in Texas that is my reference. If you have a car for commuting and then whatever else(general errands) then the issue of range is not an issue because you will not use a car(generally) for much else. Most people here in Texas that own homes(Apt. dwellers probably mostly own 1 car)have at least 2 vehicles and one is a truck. So the car gets used for commutes and the truck for both(2 drivers) commutes and general usage of trucks(hauling things).

So it gets complicated going over what gets used for commuting(car, truck or both) depending on how many is in the household. You get the idea.

To sum it up it's not a one-size-fits-all issue.

I also consider the environmental impact of ICE vehicles. Getting rid of ICE vehicles is not a thing to do because it is the latest tech, it is because the ICE vehicles pollute more than EVs.

There is no disagreement on the pollution part, it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Toss a trailer on the CT and see who needs a 700 mile battery.
Most aren't towing trailers.

So, point supported. Most don't need a 700 mile battery.

Many have more than one vehicle. So many could have one long and one short range. So most still don't need a 700mile battery.

(in our area we have 'mountain trucks' these barely if at all road-legal things just enough to carry stuff up the hill, not reliable enough to go far)

Not that we shouldn't have the option, but we also need cheap 100-mile vehicles out there. Most can't afford 40k vehicles.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Fewer cycle times means longer lasting. right?
With the Million Mile Battery cycle times will not be an issue(you will never drive a million miles, most likely). But when you are hauling something(or not) while traveling it could mean less time at charging stations since you probably won't be needing as much of a charge between charging stations.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The larger diesel trucks with extra gas tanks... but how many other vehicles?

The thing is, when an ICE car advertises a range you don’t really get 60% of that to maximize lifetime of the engine. 60% of 700 is 420 miles. That is a good number for a road trip, depending on how quickly you and recharge it. SF to Denver in 2 charges or start with a full charge and take it down to 20% at 560 miles and 1 more charge to 80% takes you in. So I’d be super happy if they had a 700-mile battery (no load) because then with a real load maybe you could get 200+ miles.
Sponsored