Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Apples and oranges argument really.

When talking about range it's different with ICE. It doesn't take long to fill up an ICE and fuel stations are rarely a problem. So range is never the problem.

With an EV available charging stations are the problem mostly since the charging time is becoming less of an issue.

It's mostly about travel with EV's and not daily commutes back and forth to work. For some people range is not an issue but it seems those same people want to fit their situation for all or most people. Since they don't need it then it should not ever be considered as a problem.

Not if you think of it from from a different point of view.
How about of those millions of apartment and condo dwellers who can't have a charger where they live! So many are simply able to charge up at home. Not us!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How about of those millions of apartment and condo dwellers who can't have a charger where they live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We should make landlords required to install chargers, just like we require them to have refrigerators and toilets.

Also, if you can afford an 80k car, why can't you afford a charging parking spot? Just sayin'.

you don’t really get 60% of that to maximize lifetime of the engine. 60% of 700 is 420 miles. That is a good number for a road trip,
You go 400 miles between going pee?

And the vast majority of driving is not road trips. As long as you're not over-heating or stressing the battery frequently, there isn't a problem.

It's the frequency you do this and how long it spends outside that band that matters. Not that you never do it. Dose makes the poison. Frequency is part of the dose.

You can have a few beers a week, that's fine, indistinguishable from no beers. A few beers a day, tho...

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We should make landlords required to install chargers, just like we require them to have refrigerators and toilets.

Also, if you can afford an 80k car, why can't you afford a charging parking spot? Just sayin'.

You go 400 miles between going pee?

And the vast majority of driving is not road trips. As long as you're not over-heating or stressing the battery frequently, there isn't a problem.

It's the frequency you do this and how long it spends outside that band that matters. Not that you never do it. Dose makes the poison. Frequency is part of the dose.

You can have a few beers a week, that's fine, indistinguishable from no beers. A few beers a day, tho...

-Crissa
I am a normal peeing person. About 200 miles, but I drive 400 in a day when I go on a road trip (and that is maximum twice a year). I buy a car based on the worst-case scenario, not the normal, which is more like 400 miles per week.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am a normal peeing person. About 200 miles, but I drive 400 in a day when I go on a road trip (and that is maximum twice a year). I buy a car based on the worst-case scenario, not the normal, which is more like 400 miles per week.
Then pee when you charge. Done.

-Crissa

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
How many ICE sold vehicles have a range of 700 miles?
The larger diesel trucks with extra gas tanks... but how many other vehicles?

I think this kind of thinking is what is keeping many people from switching to EVs.
A Ford F-150 has about 650-700 miles.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Then pee when you charge. Done.

-Crissa
What if all the chargers are being used? What if all I want is the bio break and to continue on? What if I don’t like the area? I can think of more good reasons to bio break but not charge but I like the idea of having the option of where to stop for a longer break. I also have no idea what the charging situation will be like for a CT. The batteries, the charging rate, and the charging capacity would all need to improve significantly to charge a 200 KWH battery pack in a reasonable amount of time. And you know this as well as I do; no need for glib and obvious jabs.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
I am looking a this as more towing that actual miles. 700 milers of range i don't really need but 300 miles towing a boat or other trailer i do need. It is capacity not range we need in n reality. A 700 mile range means more tow capasitiy.
I completely agree!

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't want to belabor the issue of EV range but the more I think about it the more scenarios I can see that refutes the "most people just commute to work and back anyways" argument.

In Texas there are quite a few skiers who travel by vehicle to the slopes in New Mexico and Colorado.

Depending on where you are going and where you start from can mean a big difference in miles travelled. From Amarillo to New Mexico you can make the trip to Angel Fire, Red River or Taos 5 to 6 hrs. and to Colorado slopes it's 8hrs or so to Durango. From DFW area its 6 or more hrs. The route used from DFW is usually US 287 to Amarillo then different routes from there can be taken. I-40 west to Clines Corner, NM or North on 2 different routes.

And this is in winter when range is not at maximum. Skiers will be loaded down with gear and extra clothing. That's not pulling a trailer, just the vehicle. So range will drop quite a bit from maximum.

No not everybody skies. But you can see where even some daily commuters who ski need more than 100 miles of range.

And there are lots of people who have relatives they visit and drive by car. Lots of transplants in Texas from all over the U.S. that may go visit family and/or friends from time to time. And even just traveling within the state can be a few hour trip.

Plenty more examples of long travels for sure.

Last edited:

Tonyk2034

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
When you reside in Canada range is always going to matter. We are a large country with a small population base. It’s a 800 kilometer drive to get across the island where I live. There isn’t any Tesla infrastructure. So I would appreciate 700 miles. Especially since the real world mileages are always lower then the EPA. Never mind trying to tow something also, it doesn’t have anything to with range anxiety. It’s just trying to meet a travel schedule.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
OK,OK, enough with the pissing contest. I'm sure there would be lots of people that would want 700 miles range. I also can see lots of reasons why people would buy a vehicle with significantly less range. Crissa has some valid points. Why pay for all those expensive batteries if you don't need them. Also one thing I'm not seeing in this discussion is WEIGHT. If your BEV has a ton more batteries to achieve the possibility of that kind of range, you are carrying all that weight 100% of the time. With a lot of these ICE vehicles you are talking an extra tank which weighs a little more but it doesn't have to be filled. And as the fuel goes down so does the weight. Less weight is a good thing. Driving off-road in sand with weight is NOT a good thing. I wish for 300 miles range and the ability to recharge in less than 30 minutes. Optimum is relative.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A Ford F-150 has about 650-700 miles.
No. 22*26 is 572. You're above by about a hundred miles and without a load. Yeah, you can put bigger tanks on it, but that costa money.

What if all the chargers are being used?
What if there's a line at the gas station?
What if all I want is the bio break and to continue on?
What? Because you're lazy, all cars and trucks should never need to recharge when driving end to end the longest states?

This is a dumb, lazy argument filled with what ifs. I'm a skinny white girl who liked to fill her car in LA's south 'cause it was cheap. If I can do it, big truck guy can plug in, buy some twinkies, and use the toilet while they take on some juice.

And not whine when cars and trucks fit uses rather than just dreams. Let others have them. Few need to have that range. It should be available, but the opposite should, too.
-Crissa

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
700 isn't excessive. Throw on a heavy trailer, and it won't get you nearly that far. Anyway, without a trailer complicating my life, I've done over 1,200 in a (very long) day; probably be easier with enough automation to reduce the workload. Toss in 5-10 minutes for ICE refill vs 1/2 hour to 50% on an electric (and that only at a supercharger), and 700 isn't extreme at all. It's generous for strictly city driving (although even then less so if carrying a really heavy load), but for anything cross-country or out in the boonies, not so much.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Few need to have that range.
That was/is the argument about SUV's. "You don't need that big SUV to go to the grocery store". SUV's were the scourge of the planet for the longest time(still are to some I guess).

It's really a control thing. There are some people that just have to tell other people what they need and don't need. "You don't need that big of a house" "You don't need that many cars/trucks/vehicles" so on and so forth.
Sponsored