Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla's battery-manufacturing 'Megafactory' breaks ground in California factory

Tesla broke ground on its "Megafactory," a new production facility in California, so christened because it will produce the company’s large-scale battery system Megapack.
News of the previously unannounced factory was confirmed by the Lathrop Mayor Sonny Dhaliwal in a Facebook post that was deleted and re-posted. “We are proud to be the home of the Megafactory, Tesla’s most recent expansion here,” he said. “The future of green energy will be produced right here in our community.”
The factory, in the small northern California city of Lathrop, is near Tesla’s automotive plant in Fremont. Lathrop is also home to Tesla’s 870,000-square-foot distribution center.
Megapacks, as well as Tesla’s other energy storage products, were being manufactured at the electric automaker’s so-called "Gigafactory” in Sparks, Nevada. This is the first facility dedicated to the Megapack, though it’s unclear if production of Tesla's other storage products -- which include Powerwall and Powerpacks -- will shift to the new factory.

The new factory is a positive signal for the automaker’s growing Energy division. As opposed to the Powerwall, which is a home consumer battery product, the Megapack is meant for utility-scale energy storage. Utilities building solar and wind farms are increasingly pairing these with large batteries to store excess energy to discharge to the grid later. Just last week, the Arizona electric utility Salt River Project brought online a 100 megawatt-hour Megapack project.
In a second-quarter earnings call in June, CEO Elon Musk confirmed that there was “significant unmet demand” for these storage products, adding that the Megapack was “basically sold out through next year." He also estimated demand for Powerwall to be in excess of 1 million units per year.
Much of the bottleneck isn’t merely due to production capacity -- Musk also told investors that cell supply and the global semiconductor shortage were creating production ceilings.
“We use a lot of the same chips in the Powerwall as you do in a car, so it's like, which one do want to make?” he said. “Cars or Powerwalls? So we need to make cars, so that will -- Powerwall production has been reduced.”
The chip shortage, however, seems to show no signs of abating; in fact, the White House on Thursday will be hosting its second summit with semiconductor manufacturers and purchasers to address the ongoing effects on the technology and auto industries.

Source
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Used to live close to where this is being built and drive past there all the time. I wonder where it's being built. Lots of industrial area in there and lots of farms.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
how many guys to dig a hole? Appears only 2 or 3 guys did any work.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
how many guys to dig a hole? Appears only 2 or 3 guys did any work.
Seems to me there is good money in renting out golden shovels. $200 worth of shovels, a little Krylon, and the only maintenance is a little touch up with the rattle can every few trips.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Exciting battery manufacturing groundbreaking event and I can’t get past the shovels.

The shovels should be stainless steel. Missed opportunity

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How many cans of Krylon can you buy for the price of a brass shovel?
Well, my brass shovels would make it through more photoshoots, so I could charge a higher price ^-^

You'll be washing and using up a new $10 bottle while my $180 shovel keeps getting the clicks!

?

-Crissa
Sponsored