First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Go too 3.36

Once the driver of the Ford figured out that the Tesla has "instant pep" and the diesel has a "slight lag time" he needed to compensate. Because of that slight lag time he went backwards and the game was lost.

To eliminate the lag time he wisely pushed lightly on the gas while holding the brake pedal, hence giving himself an equal "instant pep" footing.

Smart!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Did it get any attention? If so it wasn't pointless.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
This video is another demonstration of using math to explain assumptions that then produces error.
Error 1. Assuming that CT weighs more. Elon specifically said that the weight is the same or less than the F150.
Error 2. Assuming that is a dual/tri motor CT.
Error 3. Treating low rpm ICE torque like higher rpm torque values. Indeed torque is so low even in 1st gear that it is possible to kill the engine if care is not taken. The higher torque only becomes available at higher rpm. This means that the tires must either spin to allow the engine to reach the torque regime or it must begin to move the load while at low force. Once the tires are spinning its over. F150 could weigh twice as much and if its tire break loose first it will lose.
@chphilo is 100% right.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
People on different forums repost this video. I think he's just wrong. I think he misunderstood kinetic friction with static friction. Kinetic friction (which is proportional to the weight of the vehicle) is not what pulls the vehicle. It's static friction. Static friction is not proportional to the weight of the vehicle (even though the maximum value is). Here, the torque of the vehicle, among other factors, and especially how quickly that torque is applied to the ground will play an important factor. I think people at Ford understand that which led them to back away from the rematch.

I do agree that they should've used 4x4. But then again, 4x4 is not exactly apple to apple with AWD either.
On the 2nd and 3rd tries he handily beat the car. He figured out how to match the "instant pep" of the car by removing the "gas lag" ICE vehicles have.

Smart!