Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now, I want to be clear ; I am a Tesla fan, stockholder, and waiting for my CT. While browsing Tesla on Y.Tube, I came across some videos posted by a gentleman who owns two model S’s. He posts under “ Internet dude “. Please check them out if you can spare the time. The man has had a horrendous experience with his cars and the service he has been getting. Located in a somewhat less populated part of the country which is fairly cold in the winters can be a disadvantage but what he has gone through is most unpalatable. He has eventually gone and bought a Toyota.
Sponsored

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Internet dude just like other will continue to have issues if they keep driving they way they do. If you are punching it at every red light then yes, you will have issues. This is with every car, unless you get good quality aftermarket parts. There are many video on the InnerWebs with people that drive there cars like toys and not like cars. Depending on your reservation number you may see many videos of others and there CT experiences, time will tell. Tesla, Toyota, GM, etc.. none are perfect. Hopefully with the Exo and rear casting, and one day Front casting, and structural battery pack all make a stiffer CT with less chances for something to rattle and cause issues. Other issues like MCU screen or memory are null as those are replaced on newest version and CT doesn't have them either.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Ahh…the caveat. BEV cost comparisons to ICE notwithstanding, here stands the corner case. Buyer Beware. Any EV is not for the light of wallet. There be monsters!

Cold climate is problematic sub-freezing for ICE and BEV. ICE just have more history-proven solutions. BEV are early days without as much experience as Texans learned about grid-tied electric supply demand rate pricing. Maybe there’s software OTA in Tesla’s pipeline?

Desert climate‘s problematic death-defying temperatures and notoriously abrasive gypsum found there pose another corner case. Heat robs efficiency, deteriorates longevity and tortures materials scientists calculated lifecycle expectations. While abrasives attack HVAC and ventilation system fouling intakes, contaminating and promoting unknown alien inhabitation. Tesla’s bio-warfare filter is a must! 12v solar trickle charger a no-brainer. But there will be new experiences to overcome.

Goodnews. BEV superiority and probability of meeting TCO projections are best below 41st Parallel. Marine environs, high altitude and CA Goldilocks BEVzones notwithstanding the rest of the world will probably enjoy all cost benefits of BEV over ICE. ~2030 looks tippy. 2040‘s defines ICE age end times.

Now that extraordinary claims have been made, let the corner, edge and exceptions roll-in. I can’t identify them all. But they need be aired. There be known unknowns to stop my CT purchase - I can’t think of any beyond 2030.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Other then age of one self after 2030... I am no longer a spring chicken ???

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
A lot of people suffer from self-inflicted wounds.

I used to collect military vehicles and like EV's the type of people that owned them was diverse.

The most annoying people in the MV hobby were those who bought them knowing what they were and then tried to change them to something they were never intended to be.

Then when said vehicle broke or became a money pit they started with the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth. My usual response to those tools was "you can't gold plate a turd".

Yes it is your vehicle to do with as you please but please don't do something stupid that brings negative attention to the folks that act responsibly.

OP
OP

Meshi

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A lot of people suffer from self-inflicted wounds.

I used to collect military vehicles and like EV's the type of people that owned them was diverse.

The most annoying people in the MV hobby were those who bought them knowing what they were and then tried to change them to something they were never intended to be.

Then when said vehicle broke or became a money pit they started with the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth. My usual response to those tools was "you can't gold plate a turd".

Yes it is your vehicle to do with as you please but please don't do something stupid that brings negative attention to the folks that act responsibly.
All that as it may, Is the message here that buy a CT at your own peril ? Surely it is not going to be a turd that needs gold plating.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All that as it may, Is the message here that buy a CT at your own peril ? Surely it is not going to be a turd that needs gold plating.
I’m guessing SOMEONE will gold plated one though.

OP
OP

Meshi

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ahh…the caveat. BEV cost comparisons to ICE notwithstanding, here stands the corner case. Buyer Beware. Any EV is not for the light of wallet. There be monsters!

Cold climate is problematic sub-freezing for ICE and BEV. ICE just have more history-proven solutions. BEV are early days without as much experience as Texans learned about grid-tied electric supply demand rate pricing. Maybe there’s software OTA in Tesla’s pipeline?

Desert climate‘s problematic death-defying temperatures and notoriously abrasive gypsum found there pose another corner case. Heat robs efficiency, deteriorates longevity and tortures materials scientists calculated lifecycle expectations. While abrasives attack HVAC and ventilation system fouling intakes, contaminating and promoting unknown alien inhabitation. Tesla’s bio-warfare filter is a must! 12v solar trickle charger a no-brainer. But there will be new experiences to overcome.

Goodnews. BEV superiority and probability of meeting TCO projections are best below 41st Parallel. Marine environs, high altitude and CA Goldilocks BEVzones notwithstanding the rest of the world will probably enjoy all cost benefits of BEV over ICE. ~2030 looks tippy. 2040‘s defines ICE age end times.

Now that extraordinary claims have been made, let the corner, edge and exceptions roll-in. I can’t identify them all. But they need be aired. There be known unknowns to stop my CT purchase - I can’t think of any beyond 2030.
Very well encapsulated. Succinctly.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I’ve had a good experience so far. Service has been good although much better in the beginning when they used to fix rattles and any little thing. The biggest problem has been charging speeds. I only hit 30 kw charge speed the last time I supercharged (v3 supercharger). Less desirable to take on trips. I’m hoping the new battery tech that will be in the CT3 will have less battery degradation.

OP
OP

Meshi

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve had a good experience so far. Service has been good although much better in the beginning when they used to fix rattles and any little thing. The biggest problem has been charging speeds. I only hit 30 kw charge speed the last time I supercharged (v3 supercharger). Less desirable to take on trips. I’m hoping the new battery tech that will be in the CT3 will have less battery degradation.
Gruber motors in Phoenix will recondition Tesla batteries for about $5k. Given some time , more outfits will start to do this. Presently it costs about $20k if you have Tesla do a replacement. They do not recondition.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
Internet dude just like other will continue to have issues if they keep driving they way they do. If you are punching it at every red light then yes, you will have issues. This is with every car, unless you get good quality aftermarket parts. There are many video on the InnerWebs with people that drive there cars like toys and not like cars. Depending on your reservation number you may see many videos of others and there CT experiences, time will tell. Tesla, Toyota, GM, etc.. none are perfect. Hopefully with the Exo and rear casting, and one day Front casting, and structural battery pack all make a stiffer CT with less chances for something to rattle and cause issues. Other issues like MCU screen or memory are null as those are replaced on newest version and CT doesn't have them either.
only time will tell in regards to the MCU issues. Trust me on that one.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
only time will tell in regards to the MCU issues. Trust me on that one.
Which MCU issue are you referring to? As neither are in the S3YC nor on the new SX. The older screens versus the new are two completely different constructions. And the memory is light years different in the older emmc versus the newer one. Plus the internal cooling for the chippers are also more modernized. Coming with my chipset experience from Intel here... Not just guessing from what people say. I don't give a rip what people say as most are uneducated in what they say.

Yes time will tell with any new inivation, but at least they are bringing new innovation to the table instead of usless "features" that people don't use like past Big Auto.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
My top of the line Model S is only 3 years old and yet works Like a 80 year old car. MCU issues are real and destroyed my car. It’s sad to me that a Model 3 has better better electronics.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Correct, only the newer ones that are being sent out now with the new center screen and chipset has the "fixes". The previous like yours has the older tech of touchscreen (really old). Unfortunately this sit he life we live in today of many changes, some slower then others.

I'm sorry for your issues, I don't have a solution. But thank you for being a supporter which helps to move Tesla forward and make better innovations.