Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Hopefully Tesla figures out the towing range issue. and maximizes output to the CT. I plan to be one of those "fools" and use it to tow my fifth wheel and go camping around the country taking full advantage of the ever expanding tesla EV charging network.
I'm one of those waiting for the numbers as my CT will be mainly towing an RV trailer.

But if the range in cut in more than half by the tow, I'm willing to shift to camper trailer.
Sponsored

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
When I pulled my ultralight trailer trailer (2600 lbs loaded), up I-5 from CA to WA, I know I got about half my rated highway mpg (11-12 mpg) but I also learned how to drop down a gear or two as well as go slower (max 3000 rpm, 3rd gear) and not blow up my engine like I see too many doing when they pull boats.
Been doing this kind of management on my 4runner pulling a nearly 5,000 RV trailer.

I might have to do the same on Cybertruck to extend range or be more efficient.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Comparing that to driving down Parleys Canyon (Park City to SLC) which is a 6% Grade that regeneration was horrible. You would expect a marked increase in battery capacity. While Rivian apparently sucks at regeneration, only fools will be using EV trucks to tow 5th wheels/other heavy loads in the next decade
"The man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client. I sir, am that fool"- Gomez Adams. Apparently, so am I. At 14,000 tow rating, I will be testing it to the edge. Understandably I don't expect the range or even one third but that is all I will need. I don't travel more than eighty miles round trip. Most operators that know I have ordered a CT are eager to see how well it performs in a work environment. Mini Excavators 10k, concrete pumps 9K, loaded dump trailers 12K, skid steer 11K, equipment trailer 3K. If the CT is to compete with ICE trucks it must be better, not just as good. The Bossk stated something to that effect.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A couple things (forgive if it’s duplicate)

It shows 271 miles range at 99% charge. Towing mode instantly cuts that in half.

It’s cold when they are doing this. Snow on the ground, puffy jackets likely hurts the range. 39 degrees outside… ouch.

They are climbing the mountain at 60+ MPH. If they want to maximize range, they should climb slower to save a lot of range.

The orange truck looks better than the Rivian. If you are big on looks!

Charging at non Tesla chargers always cracks me up.

Charge rate kind of sucks. He says it was better at another charger.

No-ICE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Tundra
Country flag
The RT1 video showing a very challenging stretch of road to tow a heavy trailer (Step, Long & at high altitude) is an excellent demonstration of the strengths and current weakness of towing with an EV truck.

I believe the CT will do a much better job, due to the fact the CT will have a larger battery, Faster DC charging network, Faster charging 4680 batteries, and better software for improved regen charging with a trailer.

I can’t wait to see the same test with a CT.

N.ICE

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The RT1 video showing a very challenging stretch of road to tow a heavy trailer (Step, Long & at high altitude) is an excellent demonstration of the strengths and current weakness of towing with an EV truck.
Kind of funny, but unlike combustion engines, electric motors run just fine at any elevation (or even in a vacuum). In fact, elevation will benefit the truck since the air is thinner. This is why aircraft fly at higher altitudes.

Of course, the cold air almost certainly negatively impact EV range. I assume the effect of the cold is worse than the effect of the thinner air.

Worst possible conditions for EVs is arguably very cold at at sea level.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
For the next decade your brother would be wise to consider a Diesel engine truck not a Tacoma or EV truck if he is driving any distance.
You aren't towing heavy loads like in the video or I what described as foolish. The trailer and truck in the video was a bit over 8000lb. Most 5th wheels are over 7000 lbs. An EV truck with those moderate weights you described should be fine for your short distance drives. That's why I did generalize to every scenario. I probable should have include towing heavy loads at a significant distance where charging is going to become extremely burdensome.
I understood your point initially. My opinion is tangential to yours, not opposite. Rivian is a poor example of a truck. It was designed as a toy with a bed. The real world examples of EV trucks are still only speculative. Until we see Tesla's Cybertruck and Semi tractor in real world situations we can only rely on math. However, Telsa's math has been true so far. So, when I get my CT, I will have no compunction regarding towing, though I do hate towing, or loading my CT to capacity and allowing the truck to tell me where to recharge.
As for my brother, he upgraded to a Class A pusher. He and I were in agreement regarding the diesel though, it's dirtier, more expensive despite being a low grade fuel, and highly overrated for power in all but the most extreme (read this as never) situations. Diesel has higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs, and has a minor advantage in torque and fuel economy (if you don't chip it) compared to gasoline. The real difference is the gearing of the transmission, the differential, and the transfer case. Despite the opinion my brother and I share, he had no option except diesel when he was looking for a Class A. He bought the great deal and it came with a high compression oil burner.

Oh, and one more example of why I think diesel is overrated. When I needed my 66 Galaxie moved from Biggs Junction to La Grande on a dual axle flatbed trailer over Cabbage hill grade (7 miles at 6% and many switch backs) we used a Dodge Dakota with a V6 and a manual transmission. Then when I bought a 65 Galaxie donor car in Pendleton, that same Dakota and trailer brought it back across that same mountain grade. To be clear, the 6% grade is just the gate keeper to over 40 miles of mountain grades. That same Dakota is still driving around 10 years later with the same engine and only one new clutch (not from the towing). Diesel is overrated. Gearing, weight distribution, and experience are underrated. An electric power train will prove to be superior in more than just whip neck acceleration. Which leads me to conclude referring back to my comment on the railroad. ICE has absolutely no authority over electric regarding torque or the application thereof.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
, electric motors run just fine at any elevation (or even in a vacuum)
Not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that air cooled motors and inverters do have issues at high altitudes and in vacuums because of less cooling medium. Tesla's are liquid cooled but that liquid needs to also be cooled via liquid to air heat exchanger. I feel confident Tesla has sized the cooling system for any altitude the vehicle will see. (Not counting the space Roadster).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that air cooled motors and inverters do have issues at high altitudes and in vacuums because of less cooling medium. Tesla's are liquid cooled but that liquid needs to also be cooled via liquid to air heat exchanger. I feel confident Tesla has sized the cooling system for any altitude the vehicle will see. (Not counting the space Roadster).
There is a weird thing with altitude and human physiology.

Speed skating and cycling world records are best achieved at around 5,000-7,000 feet. It’s where the athletes can still get enough oxygen to metabolize properly, but the air is thin enough where there is a noticeable reduction in wind resistance.

Just a weird bit of trivia.

The reduction in cooling likely won’t be enough to bother the Tesla at 11k feet… but my previous comment the Tesla being able to operate in a vacuum is definitely going to require some rethink.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The altitude effect on reduced cooling does affect Teslas in the Pike's Peak rally. But the effect is much, much less than the effect upon ICE or the drivers.

So little, in fact, you're highly unlikely to encounter it as a regular user. Because the cars have to be designed to cool themselves on a freeway at 120F at sea level where there's no place to send the heat.

-Crissa

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I really hope Cybertruck will be a lot better. As I said I'll be pulling an RV trailer, though not that heavy, but I don't want to be faced with that kind of nail biters and range anxiety as we go round the whole continental United States. Campgrounds and campsites are usually in high elevation national parks and forests.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It'll be fine, when the Cybertruck starts coming out, that's when Tesla will get serious with pull-throughs and CCS compatibility in North America. The trucks will know the slopes, the weather, and how heavy the trailer is and how much drag it's causing.

And Tesla will have proper range calculations and you'll get where you're going. Because that's what Tesla does.

-Crissa
Sponsored