Deleted member 3316

They have thousands around Fremont, too.

I wonder why.

-Crissa
Thousands? Maybe they’re not preproduction… I guess with the volumes they’re hoping to produce they might like a head start until the kinks are ironed out.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah.

Also at :50s, that fence area was filled all the way around with casts, but they've clearly caught up on them, only a little of this pile that was there this spring remains.

There's two casting machines at Fremont now, I think, from that video.

I assume either they're testing them or they just hadn't figured out how to store a few thousand of hem for when the casting machine is offline for a week while they're tuning it. It's a really large piece of metal!

-Crissa

TerryMack

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the problem here is that Rivian is almost ready and GM and Ford will be before Tesla. people in need of a truck and still puzzled about CT's appearance will go for another brand at this point. this is no good news for us Tesla shareholders. As a future CT owner, however, I am ok with any delay that makes CT better.
Me too!

Deleted member 3316

You also have to remember that GM beat Tesla to market with the Bolt…. I think the other manufacturers will form a similar challenge to Tesla. It will be inconsequential because Tesla will continue to be supply constrained for a decade.

People that buy the other brands were never going to buy a Tesla anyway. It’s not business lost, because this is not a zero sum game. Every fossil gobbler not sold is a win to Tesla and a win for us all.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You also have to remember that GM beat Tesla to market with the Bolt…
I know some people love the Bolt, but it was/ is not a super appealing car.

With the Bolt, you paid a big premium for a compact GM car that looks like a slightly bigger version of the $16k Spark. Which was also electric.

You paid a huge premium because it's electric.

The Rivian is a super nice truck. It looks nice, it's luxurious, it drives nice, and it apparently has some serious off road ability. It looks and drives like a $75k truck.

While it's too expensive for me, I could see people dropping $75k for that truck.

Fundamentally, the success or failure of the Bolt and the Rivian are more about how good the respective products are, not Tesla.

Deleted member 3316

I know some people love the Bolt, but it was/ is not a super appealing car.

With the Bolt, you paid a big premium for a compact GM car that looks like a slightly bigger version of the $16k Spark. Which was also electric.

You paid a huge premium because it's electric.

The Rivian is a super nice truck. It looks nice, it's luxurious, it drives nice, and it apparently has some serious off road ability. It looks and drives like a $75k truck.

While it's too expensive for me, I could see people dropping $75k for that truck.

Fundamentally, the success or failure of the Bolt and the Rivian are more about how good the respective products are, not Tesla.
Yep that was my point also.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Bolt did have the 'is 10-20k cheaper than the Tesla models' going for it, which for many who couldn't make the reach for Tesla's upfront cost, very important. The Kia offerings have the same benefits, although they don't have the appealing used pricing.

-Crissa

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Drives me crazy when people keep saying it's delayed "Again".

It was originally due out the end of this year. They quietly changed the production start date until "2022". It was never "Q1 2022" or "1st Half 2022", it was just 2022. The date hasn't been moved a dozen times or even twice, it's been changed once. They just left it up to speculation when it was going to hit.

If this is true, it's not exactly surprising. Since they changed the date they've dropped a few hints that it will be towards the end of the year. I'm definitely bummed but not surprised. When they changed the date to the very vague "2022" I'd already braced myself for this.

Maybe if they've finally settled on a date that means they know what they need to do to work around the issues around the 4680?
It drives me crazy to order a vehicle in November 2019 and hoping you would get that vehicle in say 2 years, and now realize the first FEW Cybertrucks will roll off the line at the end of 2022....we hope.

And realizing the waiting list, and production ramp, will mean I could very well get my name called at the end of 2023.

Order it Nov 2019. Get it Nov 2023? That is what drives me crazy. 'cause I want it now.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I, for my part, am driving a tired f150 with deep rust issues and over 250,00 miles. I don't know what to do now. I'm bummed. Not slit-your-wrists bummed, just bummed. Elooon!
This is where a lot of owners are at who are potential EV Truck buyers (My F150 is not that tired at 75,000 miles, so I can wait a little longer but not 2 more years....)

How long will people wait before just going back and buying another ICE pickup?
Or maybe buying a Ford Lightning or Rivian?

There is a lot at stake with the truck market. It represents a huge slice of vehicle sales. The Rivian is projected to only make a modest # of R1Ts and R1Ss over the next 24 months. Ditto Ford with the Lightning. The demand in 2023 for EV trucks is bound to be huge. But who will have any to sell?

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla produces more electric pickups by the end of 2023 than Ford or Rivian.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Order it Nov 2019. Get it Nov 2023? That is what drives me crazy. 'cause I want it now.
We all get that.

But that's what buying a product before it is in production is like.

The uncertainly is part of the whole pre-order process. Rivian was supposed to start deliveries in June, then September... how many Rivian's have been actually delivered to customers? One as far as I can tell. One customer who took symbolic delivery, but in spite of all the dogs and ponies... just that one.

We're all a bit crazy right now. Hopefully we'll get some more specifics here soon. The news/ rumors on the 4680 sounds good.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some Rivian reservers have been waiting since 2018. (Of course, those are the guys most likely to have pre-production models in their hands today). Most reserved theirs in the month before the Cybertruck launch and still do not have a truck or ship date.

-Crissa

HumperJohn#149000

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford F350
Occupation
Photographer, Publisher, Retired.
Country flag
I'm just going to buy a used model 3. I will get back nearly all of it when I sell and enjoy my fuel savings while I wait. I think it will be a bit quicker than some seem to think. My ICE is old and has nearly 400000 miles.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I'm just going to buy a used model 3. I will get back nearly all of it when I sell and enjoy my fuel savings while I wait. I think it will be a bit quicker than some seem to think. My ICE is old and has nearly 400000 miles.
Noice.
Sponsored