Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Bolt, 2007 Tundra, 2001 Durango
Occupation
Investor, teacher
Country flag
I wish that Tesla would make the vault door a double hinge setup like I had on my Ridgeline. I really liked that feature. Opening it like a door made the bed (or vault in the CT case) much more accessible at times.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am on the opposite side of opinion and find the tonneau cover will be used more often with the automatic open and close.

I know this since I will no longer buy a car with manual windows. ?

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Seems like it would be a convenient feature if no patent$, & add’l hinge system might reduce access (width) a bit.

OP
OP
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Bolt, 2007 Tundra, 2001 Durango
Occupation
Investor, teacher
Country flag
Seems like it would be a convenient feature if no patent$, & add’l hinge system might reduce access (width) a bit.
Actually, it does slightly when used in the "door" mode, but it also folds like a regular pickup, which the CT also does, and that leaves an unobstructed access.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
Seems like it would add a lot of complexity and cost with an increase chance of water leakage, and in the end You would probably find that having two hands free using the auto open function would be more convenient.

TECHNOMAGE

First Name
calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model y
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wish that Tesla would make the vault door a double hinge setup like I had on my Ridgeline. I really liked that feature. Opening it like a door made the bed (or vault in the CT case) much more accessible at times.
I dunno if its worth overdoing it with features. If Tesla honors the original reservation prices, I don't want to upset that "apple cart".
How much space does the "roll top" cover take in its roll? so far YTBD. Maybe they can come up with some magic for the cover and rear window "openability". More complex.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am more curious with Vault cover in rain or after the rain. How it handles water in the rails on left and right side. How it handles the water that goes in when the cover is rolled in. Is there a drain? Is there something that could rust in the black box that holds it and will we only know when things break after warranty? Something to look at when Sandy break things apart.

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I agree a multi-hinge double opening tailgate could be useful, but the extra complexity and cost does NOT seem worth it especially since the tailgate also houses a 2-section ramp. Personally I think the tailgate will be too heavy for a hinge that would allow "door" opening. I would rather have a tailgate that does not need frequent maintenance or part replacement to maintain its functionality.
Sponsored