Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
So when I see videos like this, I get a little worried about not only the speed at which they are building the factory, but also the machines they have to build the vehicles....hopefully no robots were harmed with the recent flooding.

NSFW language in this most recent video pulled from Snapchat

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So when I see videos like this, I get a little worried about not only the speed at which they are building the factory, but also the machines they have to build the vehicles....hopefully no robots were harmed with the recent flooding.

I've been concerned since the first rain storm last year that flooded the whole area. Not because of the rain but because Tesla and the prime contractor did nothing about it. Here is what I (as a naive person and in hind sight) would do. I would dig culverts to drain to the ponds and I would get the largest pumps available and I would station them all over the grounds and feed the output directly into the culverts (and, later, the storm drains). Just like my sump pump at home. Then they could still have their 'roving' pump trucks to get at spot areas. In parallel I'd be completing the real water management system, which appears to be going very slowly. Since this should have been handled by the prime contractor I'd have had it written into their contract that they assume all liability for any loss of construction time due to water mismanagement beyond some time into the contract. That way they would be super motivated to fix the problem. Of course, that certain time would have passed by now. I suspect that all of the planning assumed that there would be no major rains, despite the fact that they are sitting on a flood plain, and that no such contract language was written. At any time they (Tesla and prime contractor) could sit down and devise a plan to deal with this clear problem, but the very fact that it goes on and on and on is my major concern. I also would have reinforced the pond walls as they do here when they build retaining walls in mud-slide area, with pseudo-concrete and anchors. Why they never did, and still haven't done that, despite the huge mud slides they have had, is beyond me. Maybe because it isn't rocket science is the reason it isn't obvious to Mr. Musk.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

Meh, it happens. I have similar pictures/video from when I was building my house. I simply didn't plan it to go into the winter (it took me 2 years from the time I started framing). Final grading is what moves water away from the building, and that's not done until after you finish building.

Yeah, maybe different for a large project like that, but I doubt he hired a general that doesn't know what they're doing. What seems like extreme conditions to those of us in software is just normal for construction workers. I walked away having a better appreciation for my nice air conditioned boring office job. :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Fremont factory leaked like a sieve when they bought it, too.

They are using the ponds and just built a stormwater moat to collect the water - but they can't flush it into the river because of all the erosion. It needs to settle out first. That's what the vaults in the middle of the site will do, too.

Personally, I'd have built the stormwater systems first, but I grew up in the rainforests of Oregon and Washington, so I know you gotta do something about the water.

Their plan currently seems to be 'don't leave anything on the ground'. If you notice, all the wiring is in the rafters, and all their gear is atop pallets and bolsters.

Just leaving the workers to slosh around.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

Any questions about what “ dry-in” benchmarks signify?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Meh, it happens. I have similar pictures/video from when I was building my house. I simply didn't plan it to go into the winter (it took me 2 years from the time I started framing). Final grading is what moves water away from the building, and that's not done until after you finish building.

Yeah, maybe different for a large project like that, but I doubt he hired a general that doesn't know what they're doing. What seems like extreme conditions to those of us in software is just normal for construction workers. I walked away having a better appreciation for my nice air conditioned boring office job. :)
Did you see Randy's video this morning? The new road is under water :-(

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
The Fremont factory leaked like a sieve when they bought it, too.

They are using the ponds and just built a stormwater moat to collect the water - but they can't flush it into the river because of all the erosion. It needs to settle out first. That's what the vaults in the middle of the site will do, too.

Personally, I'd have built the stormwater systems first, but I grew up in the rainforests of Oregon and Washington, so I know you gotta do something about the water.

Their plan currently seems to be 'don't leave anything on the ground'. If you notice, all the wiring is in the rafters, and all their gear is atop pallets and bolsters.

Just leaving the workers to slosh around.

-Crissa
undoubtedly slowing down electrical work!

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Looks like more overhead cranes getting installed. This appears to be in the battery area based on the unfinished floor .

Tesla Cybertruck Video from inside Gigafactory Texas / Cybertruck Factory! Screenshot_20210610-093326

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I grabbed a public video shared on Snapchat that was taken inside GigaTexas. I'll try to post any others that are interesting or I think are worth dissecting with the community here.

I think this may be near or in the paint shop area based on other videos I have watched throughout the process. Interested to hear everyone else's opinions or see if they pick up anything interesting from the videos.

Zapruder took better video. Sheez.
Sponsored