Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Randy, If you get some time was just wondering if you could fly your drone over the Apple campus site to compare the progress between Tesla's factory and Apple's campus.(Not every day at the Apple site, just every so often maybe)

Tesla and Apple are spending $1B on their projects and both are supposed to hire 5,000 employees(Apple already has 7,000 employees in Austin).
The new campus will also have a 75,500-square-foot 6-story hotel with 192 rooms . APPLE AUSTIN

Here's a map, it's located at 6900 W. Parmer Lane
Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 5.19.19 PM

It's not expected to be finished until 2022.

The site in on 133 acres

Last edited:

RoadbossTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, Aventon Aventure
Country flag
I was able to get some decent drone footage of the site this evening of the site excavation. It looks as if they are already moving extremely fast for just 1 week of work (Elon mentioned on Wednesday during the earnings call that they actually began construction over the weekend). A few things of note:
  • This turned into a totally unplanned thing and I literally spent all night actually putting together footage into a somewhat presentable video, created a logo, and a youtube site quickly (mainly so it would be faster for future videos). I worked on it until I fell asleep in my chair a little after 5am and after getting 5hrs or so of sleep, I finished it up and it's now up at the link at the bottom of this post.
  • I can now see why Elon called this an 'ecological paradise' as you can see extreme care is being taken even during excavation to leave a lot of the existing trees and foliage and these for sure will be implemented into the design of the entire facility.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if there were several main buildings given the unique layout of the land and as you can see, many different trails that the equipment has already created, obviously for specific reasons.
  • Lastly, this is actually a pretty difficult area to get drone footage due to the major power transmission lines running directly through the middle of the site on one side, and Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA), just a few minutes down the highway on the opposite side of the factory. These 2 issues cause intermittent interference, tons of air restriction warnings, and geofencing where DJI software used to control the drone won't allow it to proceed and automatically reroutes the drone whenever it gets about halfway to the southernmost end of the site (the end where the near highway traffic is approaching from/towards the airport).
  • Lastly, I just want to get this first set out quickly and I'll be working on a side project for a more professional presentation for future pictures and videos. Hope everyone enjoys as this place is going to be amazing!

Time to give an update video. It's been over 4 weeks since the first one, it may be completed by now!!!

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Nice update video.

I will be interesting to see if the white area is where factory floor will be or office space. The angular section would lead more toward office space than what would be practical for the factory floor.

I am guessing the farther away areas will be parking lots for employees (be interesting what kind of shuttles they use for those, elevated trains? Tesla Semi's outfitted to be busses?)

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Time to give an update video. It's been over 4 weeks since the first one, it may be completed by now!!!
I've been posting videos all throughout this thread on the progress. 14 so far. We had some storms this weekend so I didn't film, but headed out later today!

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Randy, If you get some time was just wondering if you could fly your drone over the Apple campus site to compare the progress between Tesla's factory and Apple's campus.(Not every day at the Apple site, just every so often maybe)

Tesla and Apple are spending $1B on their projects and both are supposed to hire 5,000 employees(Apple already has 7,000 employees in Austin).
The new campus will also have a 75,500-square-foot 6-story hotel with 192 rooms . APPLE AUSTIN

Here's a map, it's located at 6900 W. Parmer Lane
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 5.19.19 PM.png

It's not expected to be finished until 2022.

The site in on 133 acres

I don't know if I'll be able to make that trip. I have extremely limited time and between starting a new job that kind of requires constant learning and building things, any available time outside of family and work has me headed to the Tesla Factory site and back, followed by a late night of editing the footage for release.

I am familiar with the area though but it's just too far out of the way. Apple has their huge Austin campus 3 miles south of the highlighted area and you can actually see it on the map. It's that cluster of white buildings on the west side of Parmer when you go south on and cross McNeil.

Interestingly enough, Amazon is building a huge new distribution center in my area and I actually drive past it each time I go to the Tesla site as it's visible from the highway and is being built close to for easy access. It's a lot taller than I would have imagined and is in the 5-6 story range as best I can tell while driving by. They are currently installing the prefab walls like what is taking place at Giga Berlin. I may be able to easily stop there and get some comparison footage. I'll let you know!

Reactions: Jow

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Thanks Ty! Support has been great and I is definitely growing as I'm learning more each week. I will admit it's been crazy since I was actually interviewing and started a new job and pretty demanding job this week. I'm figuring out the balance between the two so hopefully I have an efficient process in place within a month. It's crazy no doubt!
Glad to help. It's helpful to see a still picture of your videos... Most videos are blocked at work here and I don't always think to watch them at home. It gives me a chance to kind of see what's new before getting around to watching the videos. Thanks again.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know if I'll be able to make that trip. I have extremely limited time and between starting a new job that kind of requires constant learning and building things, any available time outside of family and work has me headed to the Tesla Factory site and back, followed by a late night of editing the footage for release.
Ok, it was just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!

I am familiar with the area though but it's just too far out of the way. Apple has their huge Austin campus 3 miles south of the highlighted area and you can actually see it on the map. It's that cluster of white buildings on the west side of Parmer when you go south on and cross McNeil.
After zooming in on the map I saw that. It does look pretty big. I wonder if Apple plans to keep that campus when they complete the new one?

The news article did say that the new site will be able to house up to 15,000 employees. 2.3 million square feet of office space.

Austin is growing like crazy!

I have family in Round Rock and near Cedar Park so I plan to go visit sometime this year.

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ok, it was just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!

After zooming in on the map I saw that. It does look pretty big. I wonder if Apple plans to keep that campus when they complete the new one?

The news article did say that the new site will be able to house up to 15,000 employees. 2.3 million square feet of office space.

Austin is growing like crazy!

I have family in Round Rock and near Cedar Park so I plan to go visit sometime this year.
Oh yeah, they are keeping the current campus! It's huge and they just built it maybe 4 years ago. They are making a push to move a lot of their operations to Austin as a #2 spot outside of Palo Alto and as large as the current place is, they were still busting at the seams and still had a need to additional new things they wanted to do in the area, so they bought the other property a few miles up the road and got started almost immediately after announcing it.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Last 30 days -- construction permits issued. hmmm

Tesla Cybertruck VIDEO - Tesla Cybertruck TeraFactory Site Construction Is Well Underway Construction Permits Issue last 30 days
Sponsored