Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
Elon uses his words well. The selection of 'mindblowing' tells me one thing for sure, this will be a qualitative achievement. There are no set of numbers that would 'blow' Elon Musk's mind, so quantitative benchmarks are out.

I think something that would be truly mindblowing would be to achieve equality with ICE engines for fueling time vs. range. Maybe someone could do the math...

A worthy quantitative achievement would be an EV with Megameter range.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

We all remember Elon Musk saying, way back at the end of January, regarding Battery Day: ā€œIt's gonna blow your mind. It blows my mind, and I know it!". Since then there has been endless hypothesizing about what he meant and what he means to tell us. I am done with that for now because it makes my head hurt.

So I am interested in what would blow ā€˜yourā€™ mind to hear on Battery Day. Here is my list:

1. 5,000+ charging cycles (At 500 miles perBut like I said, what would blow your minds?
Tesla is now offering its own inverter which is a single unit. The advantages of microiverters are so manifest (ENPH has gone up by more than 400% within the last year) that I don't understand why Tesla is taking this approach but there is lots I don't understand about PowerWall systems.
In Australia if you donā€™t have a gateway the inverter will disconnect the solar system from the grid.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In Australia if you donā€™t have a gateway the inverter will disconnect the solar system from the grid.
Either way, it has to be disconnected from the grid. Either to not reverse-energize a failed grid segment or to apply power to only the home.

You just want it to self-balance when it does this, so you still have power in the house instead of everything turned off.

-Crissa

Deleted member 3316

Either way, it has to be disconnected from the grid. Either to not reverse-energize a failed grid segment or to apply power to only the home.

You just want it to self-balance when it does this, so you still have power in the house instead of everything turned off.

-Crissa
Yeah thatā€™s what meant but poorly articulated.

The gateway allows the homeowner to power the house without energising the local grid.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I say again that I don't know really anything about the Australian code but as there seems to be an attempt to merge the various codes from around the world I expect the requirement for a "disconnecting means" is in it.

I have concluded, perhaps incorrectly, that what is of interest here is the distinction between how microinverters, inverters and PoweWalls insure that a solar system does not energize the grid if the grid is down. A micro inverter is the same as an inverter. It's just a bitty one. If a micro inverter or inverter doesn't sense the grid, it stops gating its transistors and no current is delivered. You don't want that to happen with a PowerWall. You want the inverter to start up when the grid goes but you want to isolate from the grid. That's what the Gateway does (and lots of other stuff too) by means of a contactor. Now if you have a solar system with microinverters and Powerwalls you want the microinverters to keep chugging while the grid is disconnected and that's done by shifting the PowerWall clock to close enough to the grid frequency that they will run. For safety this must be interlocked with the grid disconnect and I believe the Gatgeway is involved but I don't have any more detailed knowledge than that.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Microinverters are more efficient...

...unless you're using that power to charge a battery.

-Crissa
Down in Central America power goes down weekly. Usually daily. Sometimes for hours. Rarely does power stay down for days. Enphase brand shuts its microinverters down when grid tied power fails. So Iā€™m still looking toward a cyber Pā€™nā€™P solution.

Thanks for the headsup. Micro has been my envisioned application on light loads .vs. grid.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think it's going to be 30A (@240) but that's rumor level info for sure. Is that enough?
I think that will work for what I typically weld, maximum Input AMP spec for my welder is 40 amps.
But I usually have the welder running lower than 50% of its maximum output.

Im not an expert on electrical, Im more likely to plug it in and see what happens.

This is the welder I own for reference:

https://usaweld.com/collections/htp-america-mig-welders/products/mig-2400

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Im not an expert on electrical, Im more likely to plug it in and see what happens.
I'm sure the inverter in the truck will have adequate protection. To reassure yourself a little you might want to consider having someone put a clamp-on ammeter on the welder while you do a couple of typical welds on scrap.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I'm sure the inverter in the truck will have adequate protection. To reassure yourself a little you might want to consider having someone put a clamp-on ammeter on the welder while you do a couple of typical welds on scrap.
That's a great idea! I have a smaller, less powerful, Hobart as well.. its just not as good so it mostly sits on a shelf collecting dust... it might find itself a permanent home in the bed of the CT.
Sponsored