What would blow your mind?

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag
I work on smart grid smart building technology and V2V/V2G are still in the research stage as far as I can tell. The standards are there but not the policy or the broad-based implementation. It ‘will’ be awesome when it happens.
So if V2G is a far ways off, is it plausible that a single power wall could act as a conduit of sorts to keep the full capacity of a solar system charging a plugged in Cybertruck (or other Tesla), or does the tech not work that way? I hate the thought of my solar system being neutered when the grid is down during a brown or black out.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
is it plausible that a single power wall could act as a conduit of sorts to keep the full capacity of a solar system charging a plugged in Cybertruck (or other Tesla), or does the tech not work that way? I hate the thought of my solar system being neutered when the grid is down during a brown or black out.
A single Powerwall does do that. But grid-tied solar usually uses the grid as its balance load, and without the grid, has to shut down. It's technically plausible for the Powerwall to act as the load, But that's a more expensive solution.

... realizing the grid could go down for a protracted period of time rendering my solar panels useless, I really wish I had a V2G capable Cybertruck parked in my driveway :)
You don't need V2G for that, just V2H.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFeqrQKPD4i06XNuYslVWlA

-Crissa

Does anyone else have the cursor jump around randomly in these edit boxes?

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This times 1000. As I’m laying here reading about earthquake swarms and (very) near-term highly elevated risk for the Big One hitting us, and realizing the grid could go down for a protracted period of time rendering my solar panels useless, I really wish I had a V2G capable Cybertruck parked in my driveway :)
Don’t you really want to use the CT battery to run your home, rather than putting it into the grid, if the power goes out? Tesla vehicles are probably already capable of inverting DC to AC for the grid, but the V2G protocols are really intended to put power into the smart grid and not to the home. You would have to disconnect your home from the grid and a quick look on the web suggests to me that this isn’ possible yet.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
What would blow my mind is:
1) Actually being available with solar power.
2) The range during the reveal is actually while towing a full load. :cool:

1 seems likely.. 2 not so much.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don’t you really want to use the CT battery to run your home, rather than putting it into the grid, if the power goes out?
If the power is out, then you don't care if you flip the switch and disconnect from the grid.

The system just has to be smart enough to do that.

Tesla vehicles are probably already capable of inverting DC to AC for the grid
They are not. They have diodes and no control circuits too do so.

and a quick look on the web suggests to me that this isn’ possible yet.
I just linked to a guy who did it. Like, it's just a type of switch.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If the power is out, then you don't care if you flip the switch and disconnect from the grid.

The system just has to be smart enough to do that.

They are not. They have diodes and no control circuits too do so.

I just linked to a guy who did it. Like, it's just a type of switch.

-Crissa
Someone doing it doesn’t make it a consumer-ready or grid-ready solution. I am all for people designing and building whatever (iron man suits, jet packs, hover bikes, etc.) but the OP was thinking that a V2G-capable CT would solve his problem. I am just trying to hone in what the solution looks like. I see some research on BEV-based residential microgrids and a solution that was created for a DOE nREL program but these are research-level solutions. I suspect that a V2G solution that disconnects cleanly and automatically from the grid is still in the future but maybe by the time the CT is out it will be a reality?

I saw at least one thread (here or Teslarati or Electrek) that talked about Tesla inverters already capable of bi-directional charging. I don’t have the article link.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Someone doing it doesn’t make it a consumer-ready or grid-ready solution. I am all for people designing and building whatever (iron man suits, jet packs, hover bikes, etc.) but the OP was thinking that a V2G-capable CT would solve his problem. I am just trying to hone in what the solution looks like. I see some research on BEV-based residential microgrids and a solution that was created for a DOE nREL program but these are research-level solutions. I suspect that a V2G solution that disconnects cleanly and automatically from the grid is still in the future but maybe by the time the CT is out it will be a reality?

I saw at least one thread (here or Teslarati or Electrek) that talked about Tesla inverters already capable of bi-directional charging. I don’t have the article link.
Almost every US installation of solar, battery, and/or generator to act as a backup for lost grid power has this kind of switch.

Not sure what you mean by consumer-ready or grid-ready solution. Most people do not have this setup, which I understand, but it is something someone could decide to have done to their electrical setup.

And the articles about the inverters being bi-directional have been proven to be incorrect.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Someone doing it doesn’t make it a consumer-ready or grid-ready solution. I am all for people designing and building whatever...
It's called a 'transfer switch' and it's a common part for generator installs. Some grid-tied systems skip it because it adds expense to have isolated transfer relays. It's not something new or fancy, it's super-old.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Think of your Tesla as being a 75 KWH energy source on wheels. Once the Tesla V2G system becomes a reality the incentive to purchase a competitors BEV goes WAY down.

I truly believe this was part of Elon's master plan for Tesla. The automotive manufacturing business is tough, especially against 100 year old legacy auto companies. Being involved in the sustainable electric energy business is less labor intensive.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's called a 'transfer switch' and it's a common part for generator installs. Some grid-tied systems skip it because it adds expense to have isolated transfer relays. It's not something new or fancy, it's super-old.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

-Crissa
I have one on my backup generator. If you have a link to a commercial V2H solution I’d love to see it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
is it plausible that a single power wall could act as a conduit of sorts to keep the full capacity of a solar system charging a plugged in Cybertruck (or other Tesla), or does the tech not work that way?
Yes, it is entirely possible to do this. The reason your solar panels die when the grid goes down is because the microinverters are set to shut down if it doesn't see the utility. This is to prevent your solar system from energizing the grid during an outage which represents a safety hazard to repair crews, If you isolate your home from the grid when the power goes down the microinverters are disabled unless they receive a clock from something emulating the grid and a Powerwall, or set thereof, can do this. A complete solar system contains PV arrays, a set of batteries to collect the energy from the PV arrays and to send it to the house when the sun is in and the utility is down and a backup generator to kick on when the utility is down and the Powerwalls discharged. And, of course, transfer switches to isolate the generator and solar array from the grid when it is down and the generator from the PV array.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And the articles about the inverters being bi-directional have been proven to be incorrect.
The architecture of an inverter and a rectifier is the same: 4 switches. Whether the actual device is bidirectional or not depends on whether the switches can be controlled, i.e. whether they are diodes or transistors. The inverters which power the motors are bidirectional as during regen they rectify the motor output and use it to charge the batteries. Whether the bridge in the charger is bidirectional or not depends on the switches. There was lots of heated argument over this when photographs of the charger board were published showing devices with more than two leads. But diodes and transistors are often packaged in the same packages so one can't tell from just this.

Certainly the rectifiers in the current cars are not being used as inverters.
Sponsored