A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
... If you have a link to a commercial V2H solution I’d love to see it.
The CT comes with a V2H solution: the 240V receptacle in the bed of the truck. This can be wired to a transfer switch connected to an appropriately loaded sub panel which feeds things like refrigerators and well pumps in your house.

I don't believe it has been stated how much power will be available from that receptacle but given that the same bridge that charges the car could be used to supply that receptacle and that the semiconductors in that bridge support 11.5 kWh we can say that that receptacle could supply that much. But Tesla might not choose to use that same circuitry and may install an entirely separate inverter of lesser (or equal) capacity. It is also worth noting
1)That if you discharge a 185 kWh battery at an 11.5 kW rate it will be depleted in 16 hrs
2)Energy taken from the battery to run your house's air conditioner in no longer available to motor you out of Dodge should that become necessary.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The CT comes with a V2H solution: the 240V receptacle in the bed of the truck. This can be wired to a transfer switch connected to an appropriately loaded sub panel which feeds things like refrigerators and well pumps in your house.

I don't believe it has been stated how much power will be available from that receptacle but given that the same bridge that charges the car could be used to supply that receptacle and that the semiconductors in that bridge support 11.5 kWh we can say that that receptacle could supply that much. But Tesla might not choose to use that same circuitry and may install an entirely separate inverter of lesser (or equal) capacity. It is also worth noting
1)That if you discharge a 185 kWh battery at an 11.5 kW rate it will be depleted in 16 hrs
2)Energy taken from the battery to run your house's air conditioner in no longer available to motor you out of Dodge should that become necessary.
I just hope it can provide decent power to my MIG welder.

Dixon1430

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SRNA
Country flag
I didn’t know about the stock split. You saved my ass. I had a limit order to buy with no termination if the price dropped to some value but many times what the new price will be. Canceled.

I work on smart grid smart building technology and V2V/V2G are still in the research stage as far as I can tell. The standards are there but not the policy or the broad-based implementation. It ‘will’ be awesome when it happens.

The Nissan leaf already does V2G.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Touche'. But it's a start. :)
Maybe it’s because I am in research that I miss some of these things but it is embarrassing nonetheless.

You still have to safely lock out the grid. Does Nissan do this at the charger, since the charger is hooked up to the main panel? Does the Nissan charger work with non Nissan vehicles?

Dixon1430

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SRNA
Country flag
Nissan's implementation requires a specialized site charger that does that.

-Crissa

Right, I guess it isn't the most straightforward thing to implement? I honestly don't know a ton about it but did know it exists already. I really, REALLY hope that the CT has the capability to do V2G, if not V2G, then hopefully as a backup for the house with some sort of disconnect to limit it's connection to the actual grid. I'd be fine with that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's straightforward, but requires permission and sensors so it doesn't energize a network it shouldn't. It's just traditionally bulky and without permission.

-Crissa

Deleted member 3316

Someone doing it doesn’t make it a consumer-ready or grid-ready solution. I am all for people designing and building whatever (iron man suits, jet packs, hover bikes, etc.) but the OP was thinking that a V2G-capable CT would solve his problem. I am just trying to hone in what the solution looks like. I see some research on BEV-based residential microgrids and a solution that was created for a DOE nREL program but these are research-level solutions. I suspect that a V2G solution that disconnects cleanly and automatically from the grid is still in the future but maybe by the time the CT is out it will be a reality?
I saw at least one thread (here or Teslarati or Electrek) that talked about Tesla inverters already capable of bi-directional charging. I don’t have the article link.
V2G cannibalises the powerwall business and the added complexity doesn’t provide compelling enough business case.

However... camper trailer/caravan or power boat to grid that would/could make sense.

A trailerable boat would probably be off the water more than on it, using that battery for backup power, arbitrage and grid services could allow that boat to actually pay for itself.

Deleted member 3316

Te
Yes, it is entirely possible to do this. The reason your solar panels die when the grid goes down is because the microinverters are set to shut down if it doesn't see the utility. This is to prevent your solar system from energizing the grid during an outage which represents a safety hazard to repair crews, If you isolate your home from the grid when the power goes down the microinverters are disabled unless they receive a clock from something emulating the grid and a Powerwall, or set thereof, can do this. A complete solar system contains PV arrays, a set of batteries to collect the energy from the PV arrays and to send it to the house when the sun is in and the utility is down and a backup generator to kick on when the utility is down and the Powerwalls discharged. And, of course, transfer switches to isolate the generator and solar array from the grid when it is down and the generator from the PV array.
Tesla call it a gateway, in Australia it’s an extra option that isolates your home generation from the grid, allowing for back up power when the grid is down. My understanding is the gateway also allows the home owner to participate in the wholesale energy market. Tesla, I think, is using proprietary software called Autobidder to enable this service.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The Tesla gateway has some of the same functionality. It senses the presence of the grid and isolates the premises wiring from it if it does not measure it within certain specs. I don't know much about Australian electrical codes but I doubt the Gateway is optional in a grid connected system but I can't really find out what the Gateway actually does as the installation manual is hardly revelatory. Is it even needed in a system that is not grid connected? Is it the master clock for a bank of PowerWalls? In any case it's major function is to isolate the premises from the grid if the Grid is down. Now if the grid goes down the Powerwalls will take up the premises load and put AC on its wiring. This AC is clocked at a frequency offset from 50 Hz (in Oz, 60 Hz here) by enough to be out of spec such that microinverters will shut down. But this obviously means that even full sun cannot take any of the load nor charge the PW if the utility goes down. But the PW system clock (sourced from the master PW or the Gateway?) can be adjusted to be within the microinverter's acceptance band. This is something that must be done by Tesla personnel. This is necessary for off grid operation of PowerWalls charged only by PV.

Tesla is now offering its own inverter which is a single unit. The advantages of microiverters are so manifest (ENPH has gone up by more than 400% within the last year) that I don't understand why Tesla is taking this approach but there is lots I don't understand about PowerWall systems.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Think of your Tesla as being a 75 KWH energy source on wheels. Once the Tesla V2G system becomes a reality the incentive to purchase a competitors BEV goes WAY down.

I truly believe this was part of Elon's master plan for Tesla. The automotive manufacturing business is tough, especially against 100 year old legacy auto companies. Being involved in the sustainable electric energy business is less labor intensive.
@Mini2nut’s right, Elon went so far as to namesake this vehicle’s “Cyber” cred. He continues to assert Cybertruck will be awesome. At its launch it proceeded to drag the best “utility” vehicle ever like it was a broken toy.

Cyber is its reason D’etre. Cyber supercedes utility. Tesla will further Cyber its truck to integrate value-add bonus atop bonus that a utility truck can never match.

V2G cannibalizing Powerwall be damned, Cyber is the what you are buying. What you get can do so much more than utility, more than a Utility company. The truck is just platform. Cyber is the key. It’s end to a means of delivering value over and over and over again.

From point of delivery your list of Cyber resources grow from Starlink, V2H, AutoBidder, AutoTaxi, FSD, etc... If you just want a truck, Buy a FORD. You’ll get what you paid for. If you want more than a truck, Cyber is the way to go.