When parked: Is "Heeling Over" strictly software, or is hardware needed? Also: Compare vrs. Lowered?

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
Those of us who have ever paid any attention to the "Sailing Ships" genre of books (or have actually sailed) should be aware of the term: 'Heeled'. It's when a sailing ship leans over all the way to port (left) or starboard (right).

Q1:
I'd like to hear people's opinions as to if "Heeling Over" (when parked) should be strictly a software issue, or if the factory will have to add in some hardware ahead of time?

Our family needs this (or something like it) to get our shortest family member into the vehicle without a boost from a human/adult.

The alternative is to lower the vehicle to an extreme point much farther down than normal, like a "lowered" vehicle that some people are fascinated by building.

What I do not know is:
Q2:
Will a lowered vehicle or a heeled over vehicle be easier for a short person/pet to climb into?

Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Those of us who have ever paid any attention to the "Sailing Ships" genre of books (or have actually sailed) should be aware of the term: 'Heeled'. It's when a sailing ship leans over all the way to port (left) or starboard (right).

Q1:
I'd like to hear people's opinions as to if "Heeling Over" (when parked) should be strictly a software issue, or if the factory will have to add in some hardware ahead of time?

Our family needs this (or something like it) to get our shortest family member into the vehicle without a boost from a human/adult.

The alternative is to lower the vehicle to an extreme point much farther down than normal, like a "lowered" vehicle that some people are fascinated by building.

What I do not know is:
Q2:
Will a lowered vehicle or a heeled over vehicle be easier for a short person/pet to climb into?

The lowest clearance of the CT is 8”, so whatever the height above that that the door opening is would be the minimum. The 8” is lower than my Lexus RX which is fairly straightforward to get into.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The lowest clearance of the CT is 8”, so whatever the height above that that the door opening is would be the minimum. The 8” is lower than my Lexus RX which is fairly straightforward to get into.
If the tires come with auto inflate/deflate, you could lower even more depending on the rim and tire sizes. Would look a little funny though parked on the side of the road with 4 flats.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Probably better to heel than to lower completely. For raised trucks, I believe there is a powered step that can be installed to flip up or down. Not sure who makes them, maybe a few types? Should be easy enough to install on the CT.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
If you could actually heel it enough to matter, wouldn't you be worried about stuff falling out on you when you open the door? Wouldn't the little one have to fight their way uphill to get in?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
If you could actually heel it enough to matter, wouldn't you be worried about stuff falling out on you when you open the door? Wouldn't the little one have to fight their way uphill to get in?
I think kneeling is the proper term for a vehicle lowering at 1 corner. At least that's what they call busses that do it.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Probably better to heel than to lower completely. For raised trucks, I believe there is a powered step that can be installed to flip up or down. Not sure who makes them, maybe a few types? Should be easy enough to install on the CT.
Amp Research makes the powered running boards, I have them on. my lifted 2500 - work great

OP
OP

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
Just this week, our 6 month old finally jumped up and inside the footwell of our RAV4 on his own. From there, he was able to climb up onto the seat. So, for the moment, things can be "O.K.", he just WANTS to be lifted or nudged up from one of us.

Does anyone know if the lower portion of the doorframe is (or can be made to be) as low as 16.75" or 17" ???

Tesla Cybertruck When parked:  Is "Heeling Over" strictly software, or is hardware needed?  Also: Compare vrs. Lowered? 20210122_135026

And, in case any of you have not yet figured out who/what our 6 month old is...

Here's Mr. Short-legs:
Tesla Cybertruck When parked:  Is "Heeling Over" strictly software, or is hardware needed?  Also: Compare vrs. Lowered? 20210122_134845

Tesla Cybertruck When parked:  Is "Heeling Over" strictly software, or is hardware needed?  Also: Compare vrs. Lowered? 20210122_134744

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
When I first saw the variable suspension (during the intro event) and noticed the CT changing elevation during the show, I immediately thought of a camel cushing. Lowering itself for the driver to board and then raising up for the journey. I loved it from Day 1.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Teslas already go to lowest ride height when parked.

-Crissa
Without an override to keep it at normal ride height when parked, better be careful when parking in the boonies.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I dig it. So now, if when the kids spill a Super Big Gulp in Cybertruck, I just kneel it to one side, open the doors and out she goes! Add self-flushing to the prowess of Cybertruck.

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Just this week, our 6 month old finally jumped up and inside the footwell of our RAV4 on his own. From there, he was able to climb up onto the seat. So, for the moment, things can be "O.K.", he just WANTS to be lifted or nudged up from one of us.

Does anyone know if the lower portion of the doorframe is (or can be made to be) as low as 16.75" or 17" ???

20210122_135026.jpg

And, in case any of you have not yet figured out who/what our 6 month old is...

Here's Mr. Short-legs:
20210122_134845.jpg

20210122_134744.jpg

I'm sure there is any number of pet ladders available on the market. As an example, this ones seems to match the theme of the Cybertruck:

Tesla Cybertruck When parked:  Is "Heeling Over" strictly software, or is hardware needed?  Also: Compare vrs. Lowered? 20210516_045505

By the way, cute dog! We have a smallish Shiba Inu (yes the dog on dogecoin), so I imagine we'll get one of these for her.
Sponsored