JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3, X
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
While I'm not new to Teslas and Sentry Mode, I was a bit surprised at how much power it uses. Took the Cybertruck to the airport for a quick 3 day trip. Left it on Friday night with 174 miles. By Sunday night, it was down to 117 miles. Monday morning it was down to 104 miles and by Monday evening when we got back, it was at 91 miles. Almost exactly 3 full days and 83 miles of range just sitting there with sentry mode on. No temp controls (dog or camp mode) on and checked the app once or twice a day to check in on the battery.

Tesla Cybertruck Sentry Mode Battery Usage Over 3 Days Parked IMG_3678
Tesla Cybertruck Sentry Mode Battery Usage Over 3 Days Parked IMG_3830
Tesla Cybertruck Sentry Mode Battery Usage Over 3 Days Parked IMG_3835
Tesla Cybertruck Sentry Mode Battery Usage Over 3 Days Parked IMG_3856
Sponsored

jookyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24CTAWD 17MXP100D 23MX
Country flag
Did you get a lot of folks coming up to check out the truck, triggering sentry mode? That might explain the extra battery loss.
This would have been my guess. Lots of browsers causing it to be "on" a lot.

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
Anecdotally, when the Model S was brand new and the Tesla OS was less polished, the vampire drain on the car as it sat doing nothing was pretty high. I don’t remember how high, but concerningly so to me as a new EV owner st the time. OTA software updates cut way back on the vampire losses so it may be the case with CT as well since it is so new.

FWIW

Cheers

OP
OP
Beer_and_salami

Beer_and_salami

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3, X
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Did you get a lot of folks coming up to check out the truck, triggering sentry mode? That might explain the extra battery loss.
That's what I would've assumed but this was in a covered lot at a small airport so while I'm sure it got some attn, nobody actually touched it hard enough to trigger a sentry event.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beer_and_salami

Beer_and_salami

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3, X
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Anecdotally, when the Model S was brand new and the Tesla OS was less polished, the vampire drain on the car as it sat doing nothing was pretty high. I don’t remember how high, but concerningly so to me as a new EV owner st the time. OTA software updates cut way back on the vampire losses so it may be the case with CT as well since it is so new.

FWIW

Cheers
Hope so but then again, I had a pal park his Model 3 with Sentry turned on at the airport with 230 miles. Came back 10 days later and it was down to 64 miles. Going to turn sentry off tonight and see how much drain I have.

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’24 CT AWD FS; ’18 Model 3 AWD
Country flag
When parked in a garage with traffic, my M3 seems to lose 5-7% per day. When I went on a backpacking trip for 12 days over the summer, I disabled it (and cabin overheat protection) and came back with my car having lost only 1% after 12 days.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
While I'm not new to Teslas and Sentry Mode, I was a bit surprised at how much power it uses. Took the Cybertruck to the airport for a quick 3 day trip. Left it on Friday night with 174 miles. By Sunday night, it was down to 117 miles. Monday morning it was down to 104 miles and by Monday evening when we got back, it was at 91 miles. Almost exactly 3 full days and 83 miles of range just sitting there with sentry mode on. No temp controls (dog or camp mode) on and checked the app once or twice a day to check in on the battery.

IMG_3678.png
IMG_3830.png
IMG_3835.png
IMG_3856.png
This is a well known fact and matches my experience with our Model Y. We now turn off sentry mode and HVAC when we leave our car at the airport and then selectively turn it on to use the cameras to check things out. Usage drops to 1 mile per day or less.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Sentry mode doesn’t require any sentry events to use up power. It is that bit is constantly paying attention that uses the energy.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Everyone saying "well duh it's sentry mode", the point isn't that there should be zero draw. The point is that the draw is way higher than any reasonable person should expect.

When parked in a garage with traffic, my M3 seems to lose 5-7% per day. When I went on a backpacking trip for 12 days over the summer, I disabled it (and cabin overheat protection) and came back with my car having lost only 1% after 12 days.
If a model 3 loses 5-7% per day with sentry mode on, a cybertruck should lose no more than 2.5-3.5% per day, because the battery is much bigger, but the power draw for sentry mode would be the same.

Instead, the cybertruck lost 8.14% per day. To equate that to the model 3 example here, that's equivalent to the model 3 losing 13.33% battery per day to sentry mode.

Put another way, this cybertruck example burned 10kWh in a day, where a model 3 would only burn 4.5kWh in a day (taking the average of 6% loss per day and 75kWh usable capacity in the battery pack)

So, "turn off sentry mode if you don't want drain" isn't relevant to this conversation. Something is definitely out of whack.
Sponsored