Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Alright, I think it'safe to say Elon Musk hit it out of the ballpark with the Cybertruck design, especially seeing how it's loaded with amazing features. But as we all know, after a few years, every car/truck manufacturer has to change the design to update it and keep it from getting boring. So, after five or so years of production, it's only logical that Elon will think about changing things up. Only I have a hard time imagining what it would look like. How do you update something so perfect? Do you give it a sharper angle? A more obtuse angle? Make it bigger, or smaller? Wider? I dunno. It can't stay the same for 20-30 years, obviously. All I know is I look at Cybertruck, and it's a handsome truck, the angles are brutal, yet perfect. So, where would a guy Like Elon take it from here? Gimme some ideas, people.
Sponsored

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Good question. More than any other Tesla model currently existing, the Cybertruck's design is so futuristic and forward looking I think its design will have the longest shelf life without needing to change anything. So physical structure wise I think it's good for at least a decade. In the meantime they could offer up different colors - via wrap or heat treatment, new wheel designs, new interior colors, different accessories, etc.

And of the current models only the S has had any significant design update and that was just to the front fascia. The X still looks great and more modern than its SUV competitors 5 years after its first delivery.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I do not see Tesla adding bigger fins just to differentiate one model year from the next. He does not wait for model years to do updates. I think the come up with a vehicle design and do tweaks to it. When the model S lost its black nose, that was about the biggest design change I think a Tesla has gone through, exterior looks wise, once it was starting serial production.

They might do massive internal changes (as hinted at by Elon for the Model Y in Berlin and expect for the Model 3 at some point).

I think it more likely that a hot hatchback and/or a sprinter sized van are more likely than completely redesigning the exterior look of a current production model.

I could see some look 'refresh' for the Plaid Model S and X, but I do not expect them to change the look much, and only if the technology requires it.

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think one of the most brilliant concepts around the Cybertruck design is how well it will resist the need for updating cycles. The funny thing is that if you look at pickup trucks in general, they look basically the same over the last 50 years. That's because, more than any other kind of vehicle, their aesthetics are driven by it's utility demands. To that end, I think what you'll see with the Cybertruck is iterative updates relating to enhancing function, utility and comfort. I'm getting ready to come out with a power-ranking of the top 11-12 features/accessories that Tesla should consider offering. Some of these might be things they add down the road with new models, though I'm hoping they all make it into version 1.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I would like to see a much smaller version, 2 door, 2 seat sport truck. The existing CT is a jack of all trades (which I love). I'd like to see an additional Sport truck, like a baja off-road specialized vehicle. Much shorter wheelbase, lighter, sporty in every way, kick-ass truck. Fast, playful, high ground clearance off-road truck, capable of lowering the air suspension, change the tires and you have a sporty, track or canyon racer. FUN Truck!

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
No matter what happens to Cybertruck in the future, I just hope they don't make any changes to the appearance or size before I get mine. Unless they make it bigger, I am okay with bigger.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would like to see a much smaller version, 2 door, 2 seat sport truck.
And something missing from the EV vehicles out there.

Tho I would expect to see the narrow, shorter but full bed international version before a jeep-like thing just because of the potential market size.

I wonder what cost-saving idea they'll bring to the compact car that's on the horizon. Maybe it will share some design features with the Cybertruck.

-Crissa

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I would like to see a much smaller version, 2 door, 2 seat sport truck. The existing CT is a jack of all trades (which I love). I'd like to see an additional Sport truck, like a baja off-road specialized vehicle. Much shorter wheelbase, lighter, sporty in every way, kick-ass truck. Fast, playful, high ground clearance off-road truck, capable of lowering the air suspension, change the tires and you have a sporty, track or canyon racer. FUN Truck!

I will be trading in my Cybertruck for this version if they make it. In addition to the shorter wheelbase and 2 doors, it needs to be just as wide if not wider for for handling and thicc purposes.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I will be trading in my Cybertruck for this version if they make it. In addition to the shorter wheelbase and 2 doors, it needs to be just as wide if not wider for for handling and thicc purposes.
Right. The Cybertruck is the ultimate in utility. Next they need to make the ultimate in excitement! Well, maybe after they make the all world version of the Cybertruck.
How's this for a name? The Excite.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I've got to say that I just about laughed tea out'a my nose when I saw the newest RAM (i think?) commercial ' A new grill, sport hood....that cleans up real good' and some other ridiculous cosmetic enhancement that was supposed to justify buying the newest model.....really? That's all the commercial was about, some silly trims. I don't see Tesla really doing much of that. IMO, they're goal is to get an efficient shape (Shell) that'll hold their tech. Beyond that I don't think they'll really dwell on updating the exteriors, updates will be new infotainment, batteries, energy management, FSD, etc tech.
I bet they don't even bother and just come out with a completely different vehicle when a model gets stale.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Change just for the sake of change is not good. How many times have you seen manufacturers come out with a really good design, then like you are all saying, change the "STYLING" of the vehicle. And most of the time people actually like the Original vehicle better. Mustang comes to mind. Also my 2015 Toyota Avalon comes to my mind. The newer Avalons have a HUGE ugly grille, for style. For some reason it seams the ICE manufacturers keep make bigger grilles and they are fugly.
Sponsored