Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Virtual fire is legal everywhere. We have propane fire pits which are legal here. I think the days of wood campfires are going to be pretty slim from here out.
All those guys selling firewood on the way to the forest wonā€™t know what to do.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The guy who used to sell firewood and camping gear across from our neighborhood got booted for a flipper and now the store is residential.

He's fine, tho, got an industrial plot and sells burls and artwork now.

Yeah, no open flame here at all, limited to small portable burners. With so much on fire, you can't really blame them. We have solar panels and a cooker and lotsa lights to make up for it.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It took me 10 minutes to get over 15 feet of rocky track up to the camp site. Had to keep getting out to check tires were on top of the right rocks. The front camera the CT is supposed to have would have been handy. Of course in the Cybertruck it would be a non issue regardless

In my Subaru with 8ā€ of clearance it would have been a no brainer.
The first thing I noticed and highly impressed by when I saw the photos was were you parked. The reason CT is the first Tesla I took seriously was that I just needed the meaty tires and ground clearance. Seeing that you didnā€™t was a bit of eye opener. And how and where you fit the bike was mighty cool too.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The first thing I noticed and highly impressed by when I saw the photos was were you parked.
That wasnā€™t where I parked. That was me struggling to get a car with low clearance over rocks which requires middling to high clearance!

Where I parked was beyond that and fairly level. Though it would be super super cool if the Cybertruck could just roll into a place like that and self level for the night.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That wasnā€™t where I parked. That was me struggling to get a car with low clearance over rocks which requires middling to high clearance!

Where I parked was beyond that and fairly level.
ā€˜Even more impressive and gutsy with the battery pack being so close to the rocks. I think 3,Y and S need Camera to show ground clearance even more than CT.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not too worried about rupturing the battery pack going 0.5 MPH. A bit of scraping, sure. More worried about scratches or dents on body panels or getting highs centered. There are definitely a few scratches on that underside from this expedition.

The packs are designed to take impacts at highway speeds

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The camp mode image reminds me of another big reason for Cybertruck.

Losing 5-10% range as night using camp mode makes week long trips like this tough. With much bigger battery in the trio motor and potential solar I can overland longer and in more remote places.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Oh dear, they have it in stock. Is it worth spending the money to enjoy it while Iā€™m waiting for the truckā€¦. Decreases down payment or potential of cash purchase but increases fun in the meantime.

Tesla Cybertruck Why I want Cybertruck in 50000 pictures or less 1629645114309

Adds ~2 inches of lift and travel. Decreases range and potentially ride quality. Requires additional expense for off road rims and tiresā€¦

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Tesla camping tip. Bring your key card backup and hide it OUTSIDE your car. Cell phone as key is great but car cell phones die fast in the wild places.

Had a freak out moment after phone died. Card was in my pocket itā€™s now hidden under a rock in camp.
1629610500574.jpeg
I don't own a Tesla, but I thought keeping a keycard in your wallet was a thing.

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
One more before my phone dies.

D1ED4079-EB48-42D7-AC1B-01C6D06E968D.jpeg

Forgot to buy a campsite book, waiting for buddies to show up.
Iā€™m not much of a camper, but Iā€™m curious. Is camping in the Y enjoyable? It sure looks more comfy than a tent. Do you have shades for the windows?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I keep getting tempted with a 2" kit for my Subaru... but since I also use it for long distance highway driving more than off-road, it keeps coming up a no in the decision tree.

How about a trailer and an electric ATV? I saw this trailer that holds the ATV and the ATV can pull... but since you are camping in the Model Y, probably not a solution for you.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I keep getting tempted with a 2" kit for my Subaru... but since I also use it for long distance highway driving more than off-road, it keeps coming up a no in the decision tree.

How about a trailer and an electric ATV? I saw this trailer that holds the ATV and the ATV can pull... but since you are camping in the Model Y, probably not a solution for you.
Our outback seem to be the perfect balance of on and off road for 90+% on road use. Granted we don't try any rock crawling but we have not met an off road that it could not handle with it's standard ground clearance. have you had any close calls?