Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Love the images. Looking at the size difference between two Teslas, this image made me think even with a the cover rolled up, an actual rear view mirror would be useless for short distances without the tailgate down.

1628424801024.png
That's so true! You'd really only be able to see cars above your tailgate, so like.... Semis? Haha
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Love the images. Looking at the size difference between two Teslas, this image made me think even with a the cover rolled up, an actual rear view mirror would be useless for short distances without the tailgate down.

1628424801024.png
No, a "proper" rear view mirror would be of limited value. The one in my Model Y isn't very good either. Because the window in the back is so small.

Of course in my truck with a cap on, the mirror was worthless.

The rear view mirror is really the most worthless in terms of driving. What is directly behind you is rarely interesting unless you are backing up and we have cameras which are way better for that.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I hadn't really thought about this until now, but the Cybertruck's cab sits lower relative to the bed than it does on most trucks. A short driver won't even be able to look out the back window and see the car behind them. The drivers seat is almost level with the bed. In a more traditional truck, the drivers seat is about 8-12" higher.

I'm not sure why I've never thought about this before.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I hadn't really thought about this until now, but the Cybertruck's cab sits lower relative to the bed than it does on most trucks. A short driver won't even be able to look out the back window and see the car behind them. The drivers seat is almost level with the bed. In a more traditional truck, the drivers seat is about 8-12" higher.

I'm not sure why I've never thought about this before.
Well the cabin as a whole sits much lower as there is only the battery pack between you and the lowest part of the under carriage. Those seats can be placed a good 10cm lower than the body on frame designs we're all used to.

Speculation: I also think the bed is intentionally higher than most trucks. From what I've seen, there's some kind of casting between the bed and motors (internally) and a small amount of negative space inside for the cover.

Tesla Cybertruck Tell us in 50,000 words or less why you're so excited about the Cybertruck 03_Deskto

Tesla Cybertruck Tell us in 50,000 words or less why you're so excited about the Cybertruck Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Pretty soon, we will not need a windshield, forward facing video monitor with augmented display from the camera Video feeds.

if you think the no side mirror debate is heated, wait for the no windshield debate.
If FSD is driving the car, there is no reason you could not choose your scenic drive. Pick a road in Hawaii, South America or Amalia Coast to look at while you go to pick up your groceries.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
You are really going to walk away because of some unsubstantiated post without waiting for official information from Tesla on price and spec?
I would wait to get more clarity before you make that big a decision.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Dude gets mad.
Then declares his intention to buy an inferior vehicle.

Good luck with that. The reservation slot behind you will be thankful.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
That was my theme song for 8 years in the Army. Not phased.

Let us know how your Ford is when you get it. Should be one on the lot waiting for you right now.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
That was my theme song for 8 years in the Army. Not phased.

Let us know how your Ford is when you get it. Should be one on the lot waiting for you right now.
I'll sell him mine. 2023 Lightning in Avalanche. Its pirdy
Sponsored