Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Our outback seem to be the perfect balance of on and off road for 90+% on road use. Granted we don't try any rock crawling but we have not met an off road that it could not handle with it's standard ground clearance. have you had any close calls?
This is my 3rd Subaru, 2nd Outback. I have not high centered any of them, but came close in some snow. (piling up underneath)

With no winch, I do not try anything dramatic.. but never had issues with gravel, dirt roads, grass... but again, with no winch, I avoid mud at all costs.

I have pulled people out of ditches and snow...

I look forward to more covered cargo/storage, as if the Subaru Otback had 12" more length of internal space, I could have avoided using a trailer for a recent Ikea trip...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Longtime Outback owner and I have to say it's one of the best compromises between day-to-day utility, fuel economy, and capable off-roader. Probably the best vehicle we've owned prior to the Model Y. The Outback is an absolutely amazing car.

Trying to recapture that in an EV is why I'm seriously considering a lift kit for the Model Y. The Y has the AWD it needs to be a bad-ass off-roader, but with ~4" of clearance and street tires, it's pretty much useless on anything but fairly smooth gravel roads.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Longtime Outback owner and I have to say it's one of the best compromises between day-to-day utility, fuel economy, and capable off-roader. Probably the best vehicle we've owned prior to the Model Y. The Outback is an absolutely amazing car.

Trying to recapture that in an EV is why I'm seriously considering a lift kit for the Model Y. The Y has the AWD it needs to be a bad-ass off-roader, but with ~4" of clearance and street tires, it's pretty much useless on anything but fairly smooth gravel roads.
A lift would help get over obstacles, but the suspension components (arms, etc) would also need to be beefed up as well.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A lift would help get over obstacles, but the suspension components (arms, etc) would also need to be beefed up as well.
Unplugged performance upgrades makes a suspension upgrade not just a spacer kit. It's about $2500 though. Then I'd need to buy a new set of tires to match. Or at least I think it would need a new set to balance things out. I don't need a ton of extra travel, just maybe an inch and a half. That plus another inch from the tires would be a substantial increase from the current state.

One of my big concerns is I'm not sure how the Tesla would deal with bigger tires.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

3X Subaru owner here. If MY has a great quickstep, handling dances on its feet and AWD mimics a honeybadger confidence – Subaru wants its MOJO back!

Your rural, adverse weather bound or just an adventuresome-at-heart outdoors enthusiast; 2” lift will feel like 4 degrees of freedom. It won’t cost an arm & a leg nor will it change Tesla stock suspension geometry.

Its the kind of experiment that could prove MY a keeper but foster CYBERTRUCK appetite for more of that freedom

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A little off-theme from the top photos, but on track for the topic. I have so much love for the air suspension. Just can't wait to see and feel this in action.

Tesla Cybertruck Why I want Cybertruck in 50000 pictures or less Air Suspensio

Tesla Cybertruck Why I want Cybertruck in 50000 pictures or less Air Suspension U

Tesla Cybertruck Why I want Cybertruck in 50000 pictures or less Air Suspension dow

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Campfires aren't allowed in my mountains right now. Nor charcoal in the parks. Needed a permit even for a portable gas burner.

-Crissa
Sponsored