Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have heard the same thing said about sport bikes, that they should have special training, their power to weight ration, power available, and the easy to which it gets to that power...
But, I am not aware of any state or even country that requires a special license just for sport (high performance) motorcycles.
The EU, UK, all require advanced training to be licensed for more powerful bikes.

That said, an electric only does what you tell it to. You press the accelerator, and it goes. You stop, and it stops. You press the brake and it really stops. EVs are super-well behaved.

If they aren't safe on an EV, they weren't safe in the first place.

-Crissa
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The EU, UK, all require advanced training to be licensed for more powerful bikes.

That said, an electric only does what you tell it to. You press the accelerator, and it goes. You stop, and it stops. You press the brake and it really stops. EVs are super-well behaved.

If they aren't safe on an EV, they weren't safe in the first place.

-Crissa
Thanks, I was not aware of that. Is it engine displacement or shaft horsepower based?

Yes, accidental acceleration is an issue with an aging population, as was seen in ICE cars...

That is why I will almost always drive my CyberTruck in 'Chill Mode' on the road. Safer and probably save me from speeding tickets.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I was not aware of that. Is it engine displacement or shaft horsepower based?
It used to be displacement but is now actually computed kW output. (So electrics and computer limited motors are covered)

The UK has I think three classes and the EU is talking about adding more? All I know is that my bike qualifies for a learner bike in the UK.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I've seen the expressions on the faces of too many friends and neigbors experiencing thid for the first time to be able to agree to that.

That does take a little longer. Maybe 2 -3 miles on the road,.

At the moment the design still belongs to the engineers. Eventually the will have to "dumb it down" if they want it to sell. I remember the lamentations when they did that with ICE cars. It's going to be even sadder when they do it to these.
By the first comment, if you mean the reaction to the acceleration, I agree, but it is double edged. Though the acceleration is amazing, it is also scary, and you need to get used to it. I think you are underplaying the deceleration acclimatization time. If I go back and forth between my hybrid and the M3 I have to reacquaint to the regenerative braking every time. And the same for my hybrid. Some day our household will be all Tesla and that concern will go away.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess some are more easily frightened than others. You can turn on "wimp" mode (it's not really called that - I don't remember what it is called) until you are comfortable.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I guess some are more easily frightened than others. You can turn on "wimp" mode (it's not really called that - I don't remember what it is called) until you are comfortable.
It's called Chill Mode, you weren't far off ?

I am happy there's no HUD. I'm not sure why people want this so bad in a car that has a beautiful large easy-to-read display that's very near to your field of view, and was built with the next generation of driving in mind. Once true FSD becomes a thing, a steering wheel and pedals aren't even needed at some point, thus no HUD needed either.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
It's called Chill Mode, you weren't far off ?

I am happy there's no HUD. I'm not sure why people want this so bad in a car that has a beautiful large easy-to-read display that's very near to your field of view, and was built with the next generation of driving in mind. Once true FSD becomes a thing, a steering wheel and pedals aren't even needed at some point, thus no HUD needed either.
Tried to provide this clip: MyFirstDayDriving1.mp4
but it doesn't seem to work -- and I don't know how to cancel this entry. Sorry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 859

As someone who actually has a car with HUD and LOVES to drive his cars, I would definitely want it in the Cybertruck. Come on Elon, GM has been putting Heads Up Dysplays in cars since the 1980s. I have a 2017 Chevy SS sedan with a HUD that is awesome! I use it all the time. I never look down at the dash gauges for speed, RPM (its a 6 speed manual) or turn signal indicators. It even projects navigation turns and street names. I wish my Model S had a HUD. At least my Model S puts navigation turns in the dash behind the steering wheel. Most current truck owners switching to Cybertruck are going to want to drive their own vehicle. Did I opt for Full Autonomy? Yes, because I'm 57 and I plan to keep the Cybertruck forever and drive it myself until I can't. Until then, make it easier for people to drive their trucks well. Large mirrors are a must for towing trailers, blind spot monitoring isn't enough. I hope they come up with a way to clean that rear view camera on the move because one quick trip down a dirt road in Texas is going to kick up enough dust to cover that camera lens for the rear view mirror display.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cameras rarely get mussed by dust, mud or rain, yes, but they're so small that they tend not to see dust.

Cameras can be better than mirrors, easily.

-Crissa

Deleted member 859

The back up camera on my SS becomes unusable after I drive down dirt roads.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I drove a Model S for a long weekend, a Model 3 and a Model Y. At no time did I ever wish they had a HUD. It simply adds complexity and another electrical part to suffer from electrical gremlins after the factory warranty expires.

And don’t forget the added expense of an HUD windshield replacement down the road. Also, many manufactures recommend a HUD calibration after a windshield replacement to the tune of around $300.

What is ADAS Calibration?
“When a windshield is replaced, all the ADAS equipment such as cameras and sensors are removed and re-attached. A change in camera angle of just one degree can have a huge impact on the camera's viewing area, which can affect how the vehicle's ADAS features will work. The calibration process adjusts and tests all the cameras and sensors on the windshield to ensure they are still working properly after it is replaced. Without calibration, the vehicle's ADAS features may not function properly, which can lead to an accident.”

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The CT windshield glass is HUGE. I shudder to think what a replacement windshield will cost.

I‘m also convinced that the CT Armor Glass demonstration last November was staged and only privy to a handful of employees. Mr. Musk is a genius at marketing. He knew the amount of free Cybertruck publicity he would attract if the “unbreakable” AG actually cracked during the steel ball demonstration. Add to the fact that Tesla coincidentally had front AND rear drivers side replacement panels laying around the shop to replace on a prototype vehicle before the test drives started. Mmmmmm.

Last edited: