Why no HUD? (On any Tesla?)

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
And don’t forget the added expense of an HUD windshield replacement down the road. Also, many manufactures recommend a HUD calibration after a windshield replacement to the tune of around $300.
I think I remember Sandy Munro commenting in one of his videos about Cybertruck & HUD.
Sandy has specced HUDs for several of his designs. He said a flat glass windshield made it easy to do a HUD setup and Cybertruck has exactly that.
Sponsored

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The CT windshield glass is HUGE. I shudder to think what a replacement windshield will cost.

I‘m also convinced that the CT Armor Glass demonstration last November was staged and only privy to a handful of employees. Mr. Musk is a genius at marketing. He knew the amount of free Cybertruck publicity he would attract if the “unbreakable” AG actually cracked during the steel ball demonstration. Add to the fact that Tesla coincidentally had front AND rear drivers side replacement panels laying around the shop to replace on a prototype vehicle before the test drives started. Mmmmmm.
I am betting since its "armor glass" it will be 3-5x more expensive than a standard windshield

Deleted member 859

Does it use a bubble lens or a flat one?

I've gone hundreds of miles on dirt and mine works fine and it's under the hatch by the plate.

-Crissa
Mine is a bubble lens but is much lower than yours, its down under the bumper where the license plate is. It also becomes obscured by dirty water spray that accumulates when driving in the rain.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The back up camera on my SS becomes unusable after I drive down dirt roads.
I drive a lot on dirt roads (X) and have not found that to be a problem - until it rains. Also the dirt that gets mixed in with slush and what I presume must be salt residue from treating roadways for icy conditions. This is something Teslsa really needs to see to. Big PITA for them and really not that much of an inconvenience to splash some water on it if it needs it I suppose.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I drive a lot on dirt roads (X) and have not found that to be a problem - until it rains. Also the dirt that gets mixed in with slush and what I presume must be salt residue from treating roadways for icy conditions. This is something Teslsa really needs to see to. Big PITA for them and really not that much of an inconvenience to splash some water on it if it needs it I suppose.
Sounds like a regular item to check when you do a charge. Either at a charge station or when you are at home.

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I owned a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe up until I bought a Model Y. I had HUD, and thought I'd love it. Problem? I live in Texas, if you don't wear polarized sunglasses, the glare off of other windows, etc. will blind you. But, guess what else polarization filters? Your HUD view... invisible when I put my Oakley's on LOL

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Mine is a bubble lens but is much lower than yours, its down under the bumper where the license plate is. It also becomes obscured by dirty water spray that accumulates when driving in the rain.
Nope, that's the same as mine.

It does get obscured by mud, blurry in the rain, but not by dust.

That varies by lens, placement, etc. The bubbles are better against dust and self-clean a little but insetting cameras instead means they can be pinpoints and maybe not attract droplets. But then if they get stuff in them, they're a pain to clean.

The new model of the Mazda 3 (like the one after mine) they started putting the camera on the wing.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Sounds like a regular item to check when you do a charge. Either at a charge station or when you are at home.
It’s pretty much automatic as the majority of SC stalls are back-in.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I owned a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe up until I bought a Model Y. I had HUD, and thought I'd love it. Problem? I live in Texas, if you don't wear polarized sunglasses, the glare off of other windows, etc. will blind you. But, guess what else polarization filters? Your HUD view... invisible when I put my Oakley's on LOL
The problem with polarized glasses is NOT just HUD. Some device displays (radio/media center, climate control, etc) can have the same problem.

Problems with polarized glasses & HUD varies with which specific polarized glasses & which car model with HUD. Also tint of windshield can affect results you get.

To have a more universal usability, a good HUD system needs to have adjustable height & brightness to help improve readability in more situations.

Besides trying different brands/models of polarized glasses another option is to use a good non-polarized sunglasses when driving.

The HUD issue is brand & model-specific. Some people have polarized Ray-Bans or Oakleys that work but for others they did not work. Depends on model of glasses & car model with HUD.

It is maybe horizontal vs. vertical polarization specific.

-----

Toyota forum

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/2017-polarized-sunglasses-info-screen-blank.1485098/

-----

Here are links to BMW forum of some successful methods found

-----

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007300

-----

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370497

05-17-2019, 09:13 AM
BimmerTy
Tesla Cybertruck Why no HUD? (On any Tesla?) avatar398735_4
Guys I have a fix!

I just had both windshields in my X5 and Yukon tinted yesterday. X5 is 50% and Yukon is 80%. Both Ceramic FormulaOne Llumar. Both have HUD and I could barely see it while wearing polarized sunglasses before the tint. Now on both vehicles I can see the HUD while wearing polarized shades! Same brightness as wearing non-polarized. Now I just have to figure out how to pass inspection.. My local indy shop should do the trick.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Glasses that have polarization that works are always horizontal. But you can have vectored or semi-transparent polarization which is weird but less useful for driving,

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Glasses that have polarization that works are always horizontal. But you can have vectored or semi-transparent polarization which is weird but less useful for driving,
If you read the posts on the Toyota & BMW forums A lot of the drivers found a model of polarized glasses that worked for them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you read the posts on the Toyota & BMW forums A lot of the drivers found a model of polarized glasses that worked for them.
Well, I'm not going to seek out forums to find an argument, but polarization to reduce road-glare is a specific orientation. However, lots of sunglasses advertise polarization which aren't, or have really crappy polarization.

-Crissa

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I had a HUD device I purchased on Kickstarter (the company charged way too much after launch and it went under). The device was AWESOME. I could have turn by turn navigation easily displayed, my current speed (it changed colors if I was over the speed limit and again if I was more than ten over the speed limit). When a call or text came in it would display the name of the person the text/call was being received from. It had a rotary dial that mounted on the steering wheel that one could use to make selections. I could use that dial to skip tracks and such for my music. The HUD would show when a track changed. It had a map mode that kept the map of the roadway projected in front of the driver so you always knew when a side street was approaching, an off ramp was next to you or was coming up, etc. The dial would allow one to zoom the map in/out temporarily. It was awesome. I felt totally aware of my surroundings when using that device.

It projected onto a small piece of plastic that suction mounted to the dash and plugged into the vehicle's computer port.

It was the best thing I ever had in my truck. I never took my eyes off of the roadway. The colors/brightness were perfect and automatically adjusted along with ambient exterior light. I was a better driver when using it as I was always aware if I was speeding and never moved my eyes from "outside" to "inside the cabin" of the truck.

Sure, some people here say we won't need it with FSD - but, many won't be able to afford FSD. Many who do afford it still won't use it all of the time. I like to drive - not, be driven. Driving is an experience I enjoy.

As regards to comparing HUD usage and effectiveness and trying to relate aircraft, combat ops, and driving a civilian vehicle.... The usage cases are much different. I went to school for aviation, was a combat engineer in the Army, and a LEO for 26 years. This device would not have been something I wanted to use in the first two cases. But, something I used for quite awhile in the third.

Just my two cents. I wish there was a well designed HUD option. And, it wouldn't need to be super expensive or attached to the windshield.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I had a HUD device I purchased on Kickstarter (the company charged way too much after launch and it went under). The device was AWESOME. I could have turn by turn navigation easily displayed, my current speed (it changed colors if I was over the speed limit and again if I was more than ten over the speed limit). When a call or text came in it would display the name of the person the text/call was being received from. It had a rotary dial that mounted on the steering wheel that one could use to make selections. I could use that dial to skip tracks and such for my music. The HUD would show when a track changed. It had a map mode that kept the map of the roadway projected in front of the driver so you always knew when a side street was approaching, an off ramp was next to you or was coming up, etc. The dial would allow one to zoom the map in/out temporarily. It was awesome. I felt totally aware of my surroundings when using that device.

It projected onto a small piece of plastic that suction mounted to the dash and plugged into the vehicle's computer port.

It was the best thing I ever had in my truck. I never took my eyes off of the roadway. The colors/brightness were perfect and automatically adjusted along with ambient exterior light. I was a better driver when using it as I was always aware if I was speeding and never moved my eyes from "outside" to "inside the cabin" of the truck.

Sure, some people here say we won't need it with FSD - but, many won't be able to afford FSD. Many who do afford it still won't use it all of the time. I like to drive - not, be driven. Driving is an experience I enjoy.

As regards to comparing HUD usage and effectiveness and trying to relate aircraft, combat ops, and driving a civilian vehicle.... The usage cases are much different. I went to school for aviation, This device would not have been something I wanted to use in the first two cases. But, something I used for quite awhile in the third.

Just my two cents. I wish there was a well designed HUD option. And, it wouldn't need to be super expensive or attached to the windshield.
"... was a combat engineer in the Army, and a LEO for 26 years."

That's useful input. I'm not up on US military acronyms. Is that Logistics Engineering Operations, Law Enforcement Officer, Local Exchange Officer, ...? And you're right about there being differences between military and civilian cockpits (requirements, operator fitness, training regimens, and consequences of errors).
Sponsored