Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I have a feeling that TSLA knows they can't convert your typical Ford pickup buyer. If you look at the difference visually between the F150 and CT, it's pretty clear they're not going for that market. I have a lot of friends who have pickups and they hate the way the CT looks. I on the other hand have never been interested in a pickup truck in my life. But here I am. :)
Don’t tell anyone but I secretly want it to remain that way.
Sponsored

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Firefighter & Owner of NW Brush Clearing LLC
Country flag
I have a feeling that TSLA knows they can't convert your typical Ford pickup buyer. If you look at the difference visually between the F150 and CT, it's pretty clear they're not going for that market.
As an owner of a Model Y and an F450 work truck, I can’t wait until my next work truck parallels the benefits of the Model Y. I’m sick of dealing with and paying for a Powerstroke diesel motor. The ramping up of the emissions requirements alone is strangling the technology to death.

I also drive a Fire Truck with a Detroit Diesel motor, same issue. The troubleshooting and maintenance costs are mind blowing, and mostly due to emissions control systems.

Sure the CT looks different, and a lot of people probably don’t like it right now. But... it makes my truck look super old all of the sudden.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
GM at least has the technology, they can make a solid competitor. The Bolt has been out four years.

They should look into why it doesn't sell, and why it's so much cheaper on the used market. As EVs go, Bolts are underpriced on the used market. Very good values. And yes, they do roadtrips well, too, if the network is out there.

But they sold a tenth of what Tesla did.

-Crissa

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sportage, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Freelance video
Country flag
GM at least has the technology, they can make a solid competitor. The Bolt has been out four years.

They should look into why it doesn't sell, and why it's so much cheaper on the used market. As EVs go, Bolts are underpriced on the used market. Very good values. And yes, they do roadtrips well, too, if the network is out there.

-Crissa
That might be the nicest thing anyones ever said about a Chevy Bolt. lol

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Freelance video
Country flag
As an owner of a Model Y and an F450 work truck, I can’t wait until my next work truck parallels the benefits of the Model Y. I’m sick of dealing with and paying for a Powerstroke diesel motor. The ramping up of the emissions requirements alone is strangling the technology to death.

I also drive a Fire Truck with a Detroit Diesel motor, same issue. The troubleshooting and maintenance costs are mind blowing, and mostly due to emissions control systems.

Sure the CT looks different, and a lot of people probably don’t like it right now. But... it makes my truck look super old all of the sudden.
Those are good points. Aside from the visual looks, the CT utility is unlike any other. I assume most people with work trucks care about most that over looks. Definitely seems to look like its from the future though. So who knows, maybe all transportation will look like this one day!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That might be the nicest thing anyones ever said about a Chevy Bolt. lol
Well, if you want to go EV and only have a third of what a Tesla costs, well, the Bolt is the only one that's going to get you that performance for the price.

Bolts charge decently fast, they have alright range, they're as nice as anything in the 20-30k price group. They're basically a hot hatch. Why doesn't GM sell more of them?

They have a recall over them right now, but there really were only four fires out of nearly a hundred thousand cars. That's like, nothing compared to an ICE. And they over-the-air fixed it, too, at least, removed the danger.

But that's not why they don't sell.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

-Crissa
Your grandma is making a damn good coffee and it is free. The supermodel that has not gotten her break in Hollywood yet is selling an overpriced coffee in Starbucks around the corner. Which one are you going to go for?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For a short time, I worked at a GM dealership. Not successfully which is why it was for a short time.

One of the things we were told during training was that women came in to buy a car based on looks (especially color) and the men would come in looking for functionality above all else. Supposedly the men wanted to know the specs and didn't care how it looked.

So I find it really revealing that all these macho men who are life long fans of the major auto pickups are complaining about how the CT looks. Seems like looks are taking front and center on the decision of what next vehicle to buy. Why not compare on functionality? Because then you would be buying a CT and you don't want to be seen driving one of those.....

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your grandma is making a damn good coffee and it is free. The supermodel that has not gotten her break in Hollywood yet is selling an overpriced coffee in Starbucks around the corner. Which one are you going to go for?
So everyone goes to grandma Tesla?

Personally, my decision process has always been:
  1. Could I make the payments?
  2. Can I fit my stuff in it?
  3. Is is fuel efficient?
  4. Does it kill me to drive it?
  5. Will they let me buy it?
Literally only one of those is a rating, and I always go for the most efficient in a performance class. Always. Maybe I'd think about looks if at some point I found two cars that had the same TCO.

-Crissa

Last edited:

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Yeah, is the Hummer competitively priced?

-Crissa

No... Not even close. I don't think it will sell well. Maybe GM doesn't think it needs to sell a ton at the current price above $100k to make money.
Wow, that is a bit of an understatement.
Shall we look at prior years sales of Hummers from the first 3 generations?

Hummer H1 Yearly production[source: Wikipedia]
Model yearTotal production
Total11,818

Hummer H2 Yearly American sales[source: Wikipedia]

Calendar YearTotal American sales
2002[17]18,861
2004[18]29,898
2006[19]17,472
2008[20]6,095
2009[21]1,513
Total153,026

Hummer H3 Yearly U.S. sales[source: Wikipedia]
Calendar yearH3H3TTotal
200533,140N/A33,140
2006[9]54,052N/A54,052
200743,431N/A43,431
2008[10]20,68169221,373
2009[11]5,4872,0467,533
Total156,7912,738159,529

Cybertruck already has enough reservations to out compete ALL versions of Hummer, for every year since it was released. GM doesn't give a shit about competing, they only want to flex. That is why they are doing a Hummer and not a Silverado.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So everyone goes to grandma Tesla?

-Crissa
Grandma is Bolt. My point is Tesla went for Sexy. GM went with affordable and definitely could do a bit better with the design. Folks care about the cool factor more than you think.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Grandma is Bolt. My point is Tesla went for Sexy.
Tesla didn't pay for ads and GM did.

Certainly borrowing a body from an ICE car didn't help the Bolt any. But they also never made more than ~20k a year, so clearly they didn't want to sell more, either. Where's the ramp up?

-Crissa

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Freelance video
Country flag
Well, if you want to go EV and only have a third of what a Tesla costs, well, the Bolt is the only one that's going to get you that performance for the price.

Bolts charge decently fast, they have alright range, they're as nice as anything in the 20-30k price group. They're basically a hot hatch. Why doesn't GM sell more of them?

They have a recall over them right now, but there really were only four fires out of nearly a hundred thousand cars. That's like, nothing compared to an ICE. And they over-the-air fixed it, too, at least, removed the danger.

But that's not why they don't sell.

-Crissa
Thats true. So in your opinion, why don't they sell?

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Cybertruck already has enough reservations to out compete ALL versions of Hummer, for every year since it was released. GM doesn't give a shit about competing, they only want to flex. That is why they are doing a Hummer and not a Silverado.
If Wikipedia's numbers are right, GM only has to sell 55,000 Hummer EVs next year to be able to brag that the 2022 Hummer EV is the best selling Hummer ever, and I'm sure that is their whole strategy.

Do a stunt, showing you can make a manly, mean looking truck with decent specs as an EV then sit back and sell mostly the same old stuff you always have.
Sponsored