Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
The rear view camera migt be mounted in front of the bed closure unter the glass roof. than there is no issue with snow and dirt.
Won’t snow/dirt accumulate on any surface? It would be an issue in any situation from what I can tell, unless you have a way of remotely cleaning the surface in question.

My Range Rover has a nozzle that washes the rear camera - works pretty decent. If all the CT
cameras have accompanying washers or some other way to self clean, shouldn’t be a problem. But it will be challenging to have that feature yet keep everything streamlined. Good thing Tesla likes challenges...and are pretty good at finding solutions.
Sponsored

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Won’t snow/dirt accumulate on any surface? It would be an issue in any situation from what I can tell, unless you have a way of remotely cleaning the surface in question.

My Range Rover has a nozzle that washes the rear camera - works pretty decent. If all the CT
cameras have accompanying washers or some other way to self clean, shouldn’t be a problem. But it will be challenging to have that feature yet keep everything streamlined. Good thing Tesla likes challenges...and are pretty good at finding solutions.
Isn’t that where the lasers come into play? :)

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
But actually, given Elon’s sense of humor, if there was a way to do it effectively with a laser, mounting one that deploys on top the CT would allow the claim that he builds trucks “with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads”.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have two vehicles that have rear view cameras neither of which has a cleaning system. Occasionally you have to go back there and squirt the lens with water. Sigh. The tribulations of the upper middle class!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3, LR AWD Cybertruck on order, 2020 Suburu Outback XT Limited
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah but can it do a tank turn?
No, but who really needs another gimmick or parlor trick? I'm sure there will be plenty provided anyways. ;-)

CyberDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
In the real world there is some speculation that an ultra rigid exoskeleton unibody doesn't permit required safety crumple zones? Remember those pesky summer beetles, crushed by (some) children? I would really like to read informed engineering comment on this post?
i really hope they don’t compromise the truck to meet worrywart demands. There are other solutions... External airbags, etc.

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag

Dirt on top of the car? When your roof is covered with mud you have different Problems.

I have two vehicles that have rear view cameras neither of which has a cleaning system. Occasionally you have to go back there and squirt the lens with water. Sigh. The tribulations of the upper middle class!
Right. Rear view cameras work quite well. But as a replacement for a rear view Mirror the requirements are vastly larger. The schmutz Problem can be solved by mounting the camera further Forward.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
i really hope they don’t compromise the truck to meet worrywart demands. There are other solutions... External airbags, etc.
Well, we know Elon's sister company is best in class for... parachutes! But seriously, Bumpers of some sort independent of the exoskeleton will be needed... Those big blah front and rear panels could disguise them...

CyberDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yes, a rapidly forward-deploying bumper might also help, like, airbag shocks... that’s a lot more mass to move in milliseconds than an airbag, but #engineering can solve practically any challenge...

Duramax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CTS-V, 850hp Diesel
Country flag
Dirt on top of the car? When your roof is covered with mud you have different Problems.

Right. Rear view cameras work quite well. But as a replacement for a rear view Mirror the requirements are vastly larger. The schmutz Problem can be solved by mounting the camera further Forward.
When my roof is covered with mud, it has been a good day lol.
Sponsored