Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
The manufacturing time for a CT should be faster than aM3/MY based on not needing to stamp as much and not painting the CT. The skateboard should be similar to the rest of the Tesla products and Elon is (pre battery day) a fan of Jelly Roll batteries over pouch cells. Dry cell production is faster that wet cell production. If the CT gets dry cell batteries than the production of CTs should be the fastest Tesla to produce once production starts. Having said all this the technology is still not ready and could be a cause for delay in delivery. Either way I should see a CT by 2023 being reservation 300,000+ and in Canada.
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
The skateboard should be similar to the rest of the Tesla products...
I thought the CT was full unibody. I don't know if that'll be faster or slower to manufacture.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
the other "SS" to be considered is Solid-state.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The picture that appears to be emerging is that the choke point is going to be batteries. Ever wonder what happened to the Semi? Elon has made recent remarks that hint that Semi production has been quietly pushed back because it will be a huge consumer of batteries (a substantial chunk of a MWh for each truck). In that sense acceleration of Y production will retard CT production as it means fewer batteries available for the CT and each trimotor CT is going to require about twice as many kWh as a Y. This, in turn, suggests that the lower range CT variants may be produced first. Clearly the battery situation is currently in ferment as no clarification is promised until Battery Day which won't be until April.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I thought the CT was full unibody. I don't know if that'll be faster or slower to manufacture.
The CT is not a unibody construction. It has and exoskeleton however the exoskeleton needs to wrap around the internals. This does not eliminate a skateboard platform, it means the skateboard will sit inside of the exoskeleton. The exoskeleton may even be supported by the underside of the skateboard platform. We still have to wait and see how it all works.

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
I'm assuming in November (CT unveil) Elon knew full well where the Model Y Production was, I'm sure he took that into account when setting the timeline for the CT.

Gvogt88

First Name
Greg Vogt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK (hopefully soon)
Occupation
Union electrician
Country flag
I'm assuming in November (CT unveil) Elon knew full well where the Model Y Production was, I'm sure he took that into account when setting the timeline for the CT.
That makes sense. I was hoping that model Y acceleration would mean the CT would start production a little sooner as well. GigaShangai should relieve Fremont of the Model 3 production mostly, so that should help with the CT... just my thoughts

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I'm wondering if the CT could use that new Model Y system of casting the body panels (in SS rather than Aluminum) and then just welding a few of them together?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I think potential competition stemming from other E-truck makers; Hummer by GMC, Chevy, Ford, Rivian, etc will likely accelerate CT's development. Plus the huge, unexpected market interest in CT, and this is being the hottest vehicle market next to SUV/Crossovers, will lend tremendous arguments for an earlier release than later.
In addition, CT has one very important selling point over all other up coming E-trucks; its radical styling will make it a standout in a sea of look a likes.

darrenphughes

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Medevac Helicopter Pilot
Country flag
No doubt about that. Mercedes is saying they can't deliver their BEV because Tesla has gobbled up all the batteries. They have not only gobbled up the batteries, they have gobbled up the companies that make them and the companies that make the machines that are used to make them and the professors that advance the state of the art. They have demonstrated awareness of the importance of battery supply and taken steps, to the apparent detriment of other manufacturers, to insure adequate supply for themselves.
We may look back at this scenario as the reason overall adoption of EVs was so slow. Other car manufacturers resisting the change to EVs due to global supply of batteries, causing consumers loyal to those companies to hold off on buying their first EVs, thus delaying the mindset toward that change. Not that Tesla has any kind of responsibility to help other companies. Just a thought.

Fenestrator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
Remember it about batteries, batteries & batteries. So assuming CT will be built sooner is not a given. Elon also said there is more demand than what they can build in 3 to 4 years, so don't count on driving your CT even if you have a very low reservation number any time in the next 2 or 3 years.
I did the math for my reservation, and at 50,000 units a year, I won't see my CT for eight or more years. I wonder if our pricing will remain as it was when ordered.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I did the math for my reservation, and at 50,000 units a year, I won't see my CT for eight or more years. I wonder if our pricing will remain as it was when ordered.
Probably not. You will noted that Tesla's vehicle prices and trim levels fluctuate over time...

darrenphughes

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Medevac Helicopter Pilot
Country flag
The price is locked in for FSD, wouldn’t that ring true for the pre-order vehicle price?