Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here is an interesting thought.

CT has onboard outlets, 110 and 220, so you could, in theory, jump another EV that has run it's battery down to get them to a charger

BUT......

what's to stop someone from plugging into your CT in a parking lot (assuming your vault cover is open) and sucking down your battery for their own EV>?

Wonder if Tesla has thought about this and will implement disconnects for the power outlets.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The inverter will probably have a software switch. Not only don't you always want it on - an inverter with no load is still a load - this is a possible situation.

Of course, you probably do want to charge light-weight EVs from your truck. That's what I plan to do ^-^

-Crissa

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Sentry mode records everything, but seriously doubt that this would be a problem amongst EV owners, like those losers who siphon gas by sucking it through a hose into their lungs.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I suspect, like @Crissa, that the charger will be software controlled, just as the vehicle charger is. Has Tesla announced support for V2V charging? I would like that. I guess if it can charge the quad it could charge a car.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
CT has onboard outlets, 110 and 220, so you could, in theory, jump another EV that has run it's battery down to get them to a charger
Yes, you definitely could do that. But, of course, at Level 2 rates.

what's to stop someone from plugging into your CT in a parking lot (assuming your vault cover is open) and sucking down your battery for their own EV>?
I would certainly think those outlets would be disabled when the car is "off". FWIW the 12V auxiliary outlet in the X seems to be off when the car is off. In the case of the CT, however, it is clear that someone at a job site using his CT to power, e.g., a compressor would want those outlets to be live when the vehicle is "off" so there will probably be capability within the app to remotely energize them.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Sentry mode records everything, but seriously doubt that this would be a problem amongst EV owners, like those losers who siphon gas by sucking it through a hose into their lungs.
If they try to use their mouth to get the charge it’s going to bring quite the shock.
Sponsored