FSD... Ownership transfer issues (if someone else totals your CT)?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hmm. There are the development costs, and then there are the per-unit costs. Even if there's some server side operation required, the per-unit costs are modest provided the hardware is already capable of FSD. The cost of switching from a totaled vehicle to a replacement should be near zero - maybe ten bucks for record-keeping and data entry, tops.

But certainly in any other case (sale of non-totaled used vehicle) the FSD should stay with the vehicle rather than with the first owner.
I agree that it is fine for there to be some administrative costs incurred by the owner to transfer the software. On the other hand, I happen to believe that it should be the owner's decision as to whether the thing they bought stays with them or with the vehicle. If I sell my car and I have a bike rack on it, or a trailer hitch, it is 'my' decision whether to sell it with the car, not Lexus'. If it isn't bolted,. welded, snapped on or glued to the car it isn't part of the car.

K1200LT Rider

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Avalon, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 2002 Toyota 4Runner, 1999 BMW K1200LT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You're right. How could Tesla have overlooked the likelihood that one person could totally destroy three cybertrucks in a row. Such a person should never have to incur any financial loss.
My example is for totalling 2 vehicles, not 3. Anyway, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying it's reasonable for a customer to have to purchase FSD 3 times in my example situation?

rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck, Aptera, Skoolie conversion
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My original point considers that our FSD purchase price may be long gone, buried in a subscription or some future value (i.e. $100k), through no fault of your own.

My preferred solution would be to let this software purchase follow the owner not the VIN. Maybe if we all start a strongly worded letter campaign we can change Elon's mind ;). This would also add incentive some to upgrade to sooner. Still able to sell a great car and let new owner pick up the latest FSD pricing.
Would this severely lower the resale value of the vehicle? If I am selling my years old

rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck, Aptera, Skoolie conversion
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If I am selling my used CT years from now which could have a residual value of les than 50% of the purchase price, but the FSD which I paid only $7K is now worth $100K, then I should be able to recoup the value of the new FSD.
My original point considers that our FSD purchase price may be long gone, buried in a subscription or some future value (i.e. $100k), through no fault of your own.

My preferred solution would be to let this software purchase follow the owner not the VIN. Maybe if we all start a strongly worded letter campaign we can change Elon's mind ;). This would also add incentive some to upgrade to sooner. Still able to sell a great car and let new owner pick up the latest FSD pricing.

K1200LT Rider

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Avalon, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 2002 Toyota 4Runner, 1999 BMW K1200LT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you total the vehicle, you want your insurance to cover the replacement. There are insurance products that do full replacement (That's what I used for my car). They are a little more expensive.

-Crissa
The price of FSD will be a moving target that will be impossible for insurance companies to cover. If your policy covers the $10k FSD you bought, but they have to replace your Tesla after FSD has gone up to $20k, who's going to be the one to pay for it? Elon has said the price will definitely go up in the future. Looks like insurance directly from Tesla will be the best answer for insuring Tesla vehicles and avoiding having to potentially fight with a 3rd party about changing prices and policies by Tesla.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
My example is for totalling 2 vehicles, not 3. Anyway, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying it's reasonable for a customer to have to purchase FSD 3 times in my example situation?
Sorry Brad, please excuse me. I was just being sarcastic. Your consternation is entirely reasonable and justified.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
A steering wheel or fender is part of the vehicle, as are cameras and sensors. Every Tesla vehicle has all the hardware necessary to use FSD but FSD is simply switched on and off by Tesla through software.
I'm sure a lot of features are controlled by software. Do you expect intermittent windshield wipers to also be a lifetime benefit?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Would this severely lower the resale value of the vehicle? If I am selling my years old
Yes, Tesla was sued for this. Which is why it follows the car, not the driver. (They settled before it got to court, if I recall)

The price of FSD will be a moving target that...
All options are a moving target. The car's replacement value is a moving target.

-Crissa

JAM CYBERTRUCK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Insurance will have to align their Insurance coverage with Tesla FSD policy, as price of FSD increases over time... one of them should cover the replacement cost.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Tesla Insurance will have to align their Insurance coverage with Tesla FSD policy, as price of FSD increases over time... one of them should cover the replacement cost.
sounds like you would be a good candidate for the subscription pricing.

JAM CYBERTRUCK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
sounds like you would be a good candidate for the subscription pricing.
I've already ordered the FSD up front, as I think it will help the resale value of the vehicle if I wanted to sell for a new Tesla product. The monthly subscription would eventually cost more than the up front $10k cost, especially if financed the $10k, and not help me sell the vehicle with FSD. Once Cybertrucks are available, Tesla could remove the purchase up front option, forcing us all to be a subscriber and avoid this confusion, but as a customer I wouldn't be happy with that change after I've place my order. As a shareholder it might be best.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
I've already ordered the FSD up front, as I think it will help the resale value of the vehicle if I wanted to sell for a new Tesla product. The monthly subscription would eventually cost more than the up front $10k cost, especially if financed the $10k, and not help me sell the vehicle with FSD. Once Cybertrucks are available, Tesla could remove the purchase up front option, forcing us all to be a subscriber and avoid this confusion, but as a customer I wouldn't be happy with that change after I've place my order. As a shareholder it might be best.
I guess you've got a decision to make then.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
FSD is bolted to the car.

-Crissa
You are funny @Crissa. You know that isn't true. The computer is in every Tesla. The sensors and cameras are in every Tesla. FSD is downloaded to the car's computer. If I am wrong, how come I (or anyone) can purchase FSD and never have to go to the dealership for the 'bolt on'? If it is somehow a bolt on then I withdraw all complaints but I need proof.
Sponsored