Will the Cyberbeast be better for towing?

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
While the Cyberbeast takes a small hit to range will the additional motor improve towing performance? The additional torque I imagine will help with making heavy loads feel more manageable and comfortable while driving. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
additional torque never hurt anyone! :cool:...both versions rated the same 11k towing (and I highly doubt either down on power vs. ICE) and a bit more payload and range on the AWD due to weighing a touch less....for the towing use case I'd save the $'s. That being said im getting the beast!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
While the Cyberbeast takes a small hit to range will the additional motor improve towing performance? The additional torque I imagine will help with making heavy loads feel more manageable and comfortable while driving. Any thoughts?

perhaps the two motors provide some nominal difference compared to AWD, at a software level, and that is not nothing

but ultimately, all these BEV trucks have such ridiculous power in HP/Torque, that the benefits of *more* to towing are unrealized compared to what are the separate towing performance bottlenecks

an F750 (ie the platform for commercial dump trucks) have 250hp & 725 Lb. -Ft

that’s almost half the HP and 75 lb.-ft less torque compared to the Ford Lightning

aside from range, the towing performance bottlenecks include things like curb weight (the heavier the vehicle, the more stable it can be towing), wheelbase (again stability), traction and stability related hardware/software - esp including the rear wheel steering (which if set up right, can at a software level provide a lot of stability benefits).

accordingly, since everything above is presumed ~identical between the AWD and Beast** they’ll share the ~same bottlenecks, which bottlenecks will be reached long before their relative HP/toque numbers come into play between them.

**while yea, the Beast weighs a couple hundred pounds more, this either will or won’t be a delta between AWD/Beast depending on payload in the truck at the time: eg an AWD with two adult men will weigh the ~same as a Beast with one. And in any event, a couple hundred pounds won’t be noticed when a trailer brakes free and begins wagging.

Basically, when comparing BEV trucks to ICE, other than on-board range and refueling infrastructure, any BEV 1/2 ton truck will far outperform any ICE 1/2 ton truck, pound-for-pound. COG and HO/Torque are just unmatched, even if all else is equal.

Between eg Cybertruck and Lightning, on the other hand, the 4WS should be a differentiator in stability (as weight, wheelbase, etc are all basically the same for all practical purposes). As may be the larger contact patch of the tires.

That said, what the Lightning lacks in the 4WS department it may make up for in towing range compared to the CT - all else equal. That’s because the drag coefficient of the tow vehicle has a paradoxical effect on range when it comes to towing. A truck with a materially lower drag Cd should experience a greater efficiency impact/lowering when towing an identical trailer.

How much that delta is remains to be seen, from future thoughtful and precise towing comparisons.

Unfortunately, there are very few thoughtful and precise towing comparisons conducted with or among BEV trucks. Eg outfits like TFL are notoriously ham-fisted and sensationalist about their towing “journalism.”

See for example their most recent TFL “towing comparison” between a Chevy WT with a massive battery and EPA 450mi range vs Lightning ER with EPA 320mi range. It’s a thirty minute video to declare the Chevy WT the “winner” because the Chevy WT …

…wait for it…

…you’re never going to believe this…

… towed a further distance.

Geoduck

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Fishmonger
Country flag
I am certainly a fan of my Model Y, and am a early sign up for CT. However, my needs for a truck are centered around towing a 23' fishing boat. Going from Seattle to Vancouver Island, west side, being a reason the 500 miles plus range had me "sold". I also haul gravel and firewood, so the bed size has importance as well. Feeling a bit vexed as I don't need a "show horse", nor really a "race horse", what I need is a "work horse" and not sure what people are experiencing who have the CT and have tried towing long distances to rather remote areas? Also, will I experience electrolysis or other corrosion issues with this truck being electric, as I assume only the exterior is made of stainless steel, (I would be dipping it into the salt water from time).

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
The Beast will be about the same as the AWD in regards to towing. The larger wheels and heavier weight will cut into range some small amount.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
more motors = more regen

DeadSetElectric

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
There is good evidence to believe the payload capacity is actually higher than rated but because of EV tax credits Tesla makes on class 2b trucks, these stats were sandbagged. I got the beast and my payload will be over 2k with camper, extender, dirt bike on hitch, etc. Even at the delivery event Elon said “the payload is 2500lbs but realistically it can haul anything you can fit in it.”

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Elon said “the payload is 2500lbs but realistically it can haul anything you can fit in it.”
Elon underestimates people's propensity and ingenuity to overload their vehicles.
Just fill the bed with sand or crushed landscape rock.
Could easily weigh over 6000 lbs.
Stack it full of solid concrete patio blocks or marble tile and you are pushing 7500 lbs.

Good luck, load range D tires!

DeadSetElectric

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Elon underestimates people's propensity and ingenuity to overload their vehicles.
Just fill the bed with sand or crushed landscape rock.
Could easily weigh over 6000 lbs.
Stack it full of solid concrete patio blocks or marble tile and you are pushing 7500 lbs.

Good luck, load range D tires!
Yes not to be taken literally…but this is the internet so not surprised. And you are right about load range D tires, which is why tires and wheels will be one of many upgrades on the list for my specific use case

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Yes not to be taken literally…but this is the internet so not surprised. And you are right about load range D tires, which is why tires and wheels will be one of many upgrades on the list for my specific use case
Have seen way too many 1/2 ton trucks and compact trucks overloaded in my life with all manner of materials. Dirt, sand, stone, tile, cement board, bagged concrete, plywood, drywall.
One of the reasons I was hoping the 3500 lb rating was real (and it would really come with load range E tires like a 3/4 ton truck).
Sponsored