Towing 5700 lbs medium sized camper results w/ Cyberbeast Cybertruck

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Didn't see this one posted anywhere yet. My takeaway is that weight is a drag or decrease on range of any vehicle whether it's in the vehicle or being pulled. I think recent towing tests are reminding us that weight (and aerodynamic drag) isn't pulled without energy cost, as expected.

What we're also seeing, is that the power and braking performance of the Cybertruck is very good even when towing heavier loads. I do agree that the Range Extender is likely a must-have when towing heavy loads frequently outside of ones local area. I would note when towing even heavy loads just around town (trailers with building materials to construction sites, etc.) the Cybertruck will be an awesome vehicle for that use case.

Just for kicks I did a calculation comparison for 1205 wh/mi (at 12¢ per kWH which is close to Florida rates charging at home) with gas prices at $3.00 per gallon, which revealed a 21 MPG equivalent based on cost. I don't think any other truck could pull a trailer like that so inexpensively, so there's that.

That's based on cheap electricity rates at home however, but supercharger rates are usually higher. If estimating an electricity rate of 20¢ per kWH at the supercharger (if not free), then the result is 12 MPG equivalent, which is still not bad. Of course for free supercharging one is really saving some money when towing.

If gas prices are more than $3.00 per gallon, towing with a Cybertruck has even more cost benefits, if the electricity cost remains the same. If the electricity costs go up of then of course the cost benefits are less. I also think they need more pull-thru stalls at superchargers from what I'm seeing so far.

- ÆCIII
I found this is a pretty positive test. Honestly especially at the 65 mph without towing. But even the towing numbers were pretty good I thought. If you're towing around a city at 55 to 60 65 mph you got a pretty usable truck. No is designed to do long distance towing.
Sponsored

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
Not much worse than my X with camper at highway speeds... that being said, when I can manage to keep it under 60 on the highway, mileage improves significantly. I've pulled my camper from SW FL up to NC & back - so no idea why anyone would say long distance electric towing isn't an option. With kids in the back seat you need to stop often for breaks anyway.
We just got our new XLR. How heavy is your trailer and what is the average range towing with yours?

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
zimage7279.png
Pulling the medium size travel trailer, was getting around 1,185 wh/mile netting about 80-90 miles of range if using 80-100% of the battery pack.
5,800lb trailer
Max speed of 65 mph Average speed of about 55MPH as a mix of city/town/country driving
Almost whole battery was used for first 92 mile test
Air temp was between 48-58F
Tire pressure on A/T at 65PSI wheels had no aero caps "they are ugly as...."
Minimal HVAC Used
Similar result as other towing tests
When pulling a medium size trailer load you get about 90 miles of range if you use the whole pack.
Using a normal 80% your looking at around 80 miles of range.
zimage7274.png

zimage7281.png

zimage7272.png
zimage7276.png

zimage7279.png

zimage7277.png

zimage7284.png
zimage7285.png
zimage7283.png

The rear and side cameras used for monitoring the trailer load looked really nice, which is great with the lack of a rear view mirror with vault closed.
zimage7282.png

zimage7288.png

1705851563199.png

1705851566412.png

1705851574447.png

In general it looks like when not towing CT is getting 165-215 range across about 20different vehicles with a total of over 15,000 miles assuming 80% of pack is used. So the rough rule of of EVs getting about a 50% range cut when towing is holding up for the most part.
Cyberbeast got a little less than 1/3 of the EPA range when towing.

Big props to [name removed until vid is made public] for doing these tests, video will be public semi soon and will post the links to it.

At this point no one has towed an extremely light sub 1,000lb and highly aerodynamic trailer which should give much higher range numbers, but we are also waiting for a large box trailer that is close to 10,000lbs to give us the full story on the bad towing news.

After we have seen 5 different towing tests across multiple Cybertrucks and very different trailer loads it looks like when using most of the battery capacity and hauling medium loads; while towing the Cybertruck is getting to get about 70-100 miles of range across a variety of loads, models, and temperature conditions.

Pulling the medium size travel trailer, was getting around 1,185 wh/mile netting about 80-90 miles of range if using 80-100% of the battery pack.

AKA from PerfectFlaw
zimage7297.png

zimage7273.png
This is so depressing

SagePaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation, 2017MX
Occupation
Home Builder
Country flag
We just got our new XLR. How heavy is your trailer and what is the average range towing with yours?
Realistically, I'm rolling ~100miles between charges - typically one charge or two on the road, then overnight at a campsite to slow charge overnight from the NEMA 1450 (with the camper plugged into the 30amp outlet). The camper is a Trailmanor that folds down lower-profile, ~3500-4000 lbs.

https://trailmanor.com/3124series/

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

zimage7279.png

5,800lb trailer
Max speed of 65 mph Average speed of about 55MPH as a mix of city/town/country driving
Almost whole battery was used for first 92 mile test
Air temp was between 48-58F
Tire pressure on A/T at 65PSI wheels had no aero caps "they are ugly as...."
Minimal HVAC Used
Similar result as other towing tests
When pulling a medium size trailer load you get about 90 miles of range if you use the whole pack.
Using a normal 80% your looking at around 80 miles of range.

zimage7274.png

zimage7281.png

zimage7272.png
zimage7276.png

Tesla Cybertruck Towing 5700 lbs medium sized camper results w/ Cyberbeast Cybertruck zimage7279

zimage7277.png

zimage7284.png
zimage7285.png
zimage7283.png

The rear and side cameras used for monitoring the trailer load looked really nice, which is great with the lack of a rear view mirror with vault closed.
zimage7282.png

zimage7288.png

1705851563199.png

1705851566412.png

1705851574447.png

In general it looks like when not towing CT is getting 165-215 range across about 20different vehicles with a total of over 15,000 miles assuming 80% of pack is used. So the rough rule of of EVs getting about a 50% range cut when towing is holding up for the most part.
Cyberbeast got a little less than 1/3 of the EPA range when towing.

Big props to [name removed until vid is made public] for doing these tests, video will be public semi soon and will post the links to it.

At this point no one has towed an extremely light sub 1,000lb and highly aerodynamic trailer which should give much higher range numbers, but we are also waiting for a large box trailer that is close to 10,000lbs to give us the full story on the bad towing news.

After we have seen 5 different towing tests across multiple Cybertrucks and very different trailer loads it looks like when using most of the battery capacity and hauling medium loads; while towing the Cybertruck is getting to get about 70-100 miles of range across a variety of loads, models, and temperature conditions.

AKA from PerfectFlaw
zimage7297.png

zimage7273.png
Not sure if my Gsheet is worth doing but I created one.

Tesla Cybertruck Towing 5700 lbs medium sized camper results w/ Cyberbeast Cybertruck t4jRIQ

rbrak29

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2021 F150 Powerboost hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A Turo host for a Lightning let me tow my Airstream Basecamp 16X and do a small range test.
Note: the Lightning did not have a tonneau cover.

Lightning: 2.4 miles/kWh (320mi on 131kW battery), CT 2.8 miles/kWh (340mi on 123kW battery)

140 miles traveled with trailer, full FW and waste tanks, ? total weight (Basecamp 16X has 3500# GVWR, 2650# empty), flat highway, 75 degree temp, little wind, 63mph.

Results: 1.6 mi/kWh, 625Wh/mi, 209 mi (0-100%), 146mi (10-80%).

I have a feeling that the height of the CT (lower than Lightning) is effecting its range. More of the front of the trailer is exposed.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
My takeaway is that weight is a drag or decrease on range of any vehicle whether it's in the vehicle or being pulled. I think recent towing tests are reminding us that weight (and aerodynamic drag) isn't pulled without energy cost, as expected.
the effect of weight is really negligible (assuming the operator has properly inflated the vehicle and trailer tires, and that the trailer itself is in good operating condition). several tests with eg the lightning have shown this, where e.g. a very heavy flatbed load has significantly less impact than eg a light but large box trailer.

the predominant effect on range is aero/drag. not just of the trailer packaging itself (though that's key), but also of the resulting aero proposition of the tow vehicle + the towed packaging.

this being the case, increased drag of the trialer itself plus increased speeds will have a determinate effect on range results.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Just go 55?

Tesla Cybertruck Towing 5700 lbs medium sized camper results w/ Cyberbeast Cybertruck Screenshot_20240122-090129

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
the effect of weight is really negligible (assuming the operator has properly inflated the vehicle and trailer tires, and that the trailer itself is in good operating condition). several tests with eg the lightning have shown this, where e.g. a very heavy flatbed load has significantly less impact than eg a light but large box trailer.

the predominant effect on range is aero/drag. not just of the trailer packaging itself (though that's key), but also of the resulting aero proposition of the tow vehicle + the towed packaging.

this being the case, increased drag of the trialer itself plus increased speeds will have a determinate effect on range results.
Just to add onto what’s already been covered, the cross section matters greatly, if the tow package/camper/vehicle is several feet taller than the tow vehicle that is now part of the cross section that is initially cutting the wind and this changes dramatically the vehicle combined COD while towing.

We haven’t even touched on yet what is happening to the air off the rear of the Cybertruck and how it could be vortexing against the front cross section of the tow package.

rbrak29

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 2021 F150 Powerboost hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just to add onto what’s already been covered, the cross section matters greatly, if the tow package/camper/vehicle is several feet taller than the tow vehicle that is now part of the cross section that is initially cutting the wind and this changes dramatically the vehicle combined COD while towing.

We haven’t even touched on yet what is happening to the air off the rear of the Cybertruck and how it could be vortexing against the front cross section of the tow package.
Would this help?

https://spacecampers.com/

Tesla Cybertruck Towing 5700 lbs medium sized camper results w/ Cyberbeast Cybertruck Spacecamper Cap sid

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
ive touched on it several places elsewhere

but yes, braodly speaking: there can be a paradoxical** effect whereby a tow vehicle with better Cd is more significantly impacted by towing that one with a higher Cd

that, combined with the resulting cross-section of tow vehicle + tow package, where the CT is both lower/less frontal area than other trucks, means that everything making the CT have better range (pound for pound, kWh-for-kWh) when not towing, has it also experiencing more increase in drag when towing

**technically not a paradox, since it's completely explainable - but colloquially it gets the point across

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

If you have full control of the air suspension how would nose down and ass up affect the range and drag from the tow package.

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’24 CT AWD FS; ’18 Model 3 AWD
Country flag
could there be more benefit to raising ride height and/or opening the tonneau?
Sponsored