SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
I go off-road a lot on my property. Actually off-trail. I prefer clear, untinted, and fully opening windows.
I'm thinking the CT windows are fully opening.
All the cameras will help tremendously but unhindered visibility through the glass is a help too. Also branches can hit windows although I'm guessing the armor glass won't break?!!
Sponsored

68Voltswagen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 VW Bug, 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 21 Cybertruck Tri-Motor FSD
Occupation
Telecommunications Tower Technician
Country flag
I have been thinking about asking if they could add a factory option for smart tint. I've been looking at it for a while to tint the windows on an electric VW Bug I'm currently working on. I have vision issues during both the day and night due to brightness
Tesla Cybertruck Window Tint off-road. automotive-smart-glass-4
. https://shop.smarttint.com/Automotive-Application_b_11.html

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I have been thinking about asking if they could add a factory option for smart tint. I've been looking at it for a while to tint the windows on an electric VW Bug I'm currently working on. I have vision issues during both the day and night due to brightness
Very neat and interesting idea... but boy! The cost! :oops:

68Voltswagen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
A lot of glass, I know but, as an option, it might be nice to have.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I go off-road a lot on my property. Actually off-trail. I prefer clear, untinted, and fully opening windows.
I'm thinking the CT windows are fully opening.
All the cameras will help tremendously but unhindered visibility through the glass is a help too. Also branches can hit windows although I'm guessing the armor glass won't break?!!
If you look at the whole CT unveiling on YouTube you can see that they threw all kinds of things at the armored glass and it never broke (though it did in the live demo). I think we can assume they will fix that problem. As for the window tinting, I don't know the answer to that question, but suspect it would only be near the apex of the front window, for glare, and wouldn't affect your forward view. I don't know about the side windows. I suspect that the rear seat windows will be tinted.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Wow, cool feature. I didn't know there are aftermarket solutions for this, I saw the new Venza sun roof has this as an option.
As for the CT, I guess it will not be included, just to reduce complexity, energy consumption and cost. Although there probably will be a lot of aftermarket solutions and those will be easy to install due to flat glass surfaces.

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
That would be a fantastic option! If 2 windows cost $1400 aftermarket, then maybe $5000 factory for all the windows? Most useful when sleeping in RV park or busy areas. Also useful when very sunny to shield all but windshield and driver window (CA prohibits tinting there, probably to protect cops from surprises). Imagine the entrance you could make: CT “lands” by dropping from high suspension to lowest while windows go opaque. OK, that entrance would probably feel silly once I’m actually driving and not just anticipating production.

Full integration (vs after-market) would be very desirable so you could program profiles you like from the main screen: blackout for sleeping, dark everywhere but windshield and driver side for hot days, subtle tint all around for warm days,...

It might even be like suspension height memory on S and X, so CT remembers locations or situations where you like certain tint profiles.

Watch a documentary on octopuses to start imagining your CT changing its appearance dynamically.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Watch a documentary on octopuses to start imagining your CT changing its appearance dynamically.
Now I'd be interested in getting my CT wrapped if I could have a color-changing wrap that would change colors on my command. Not like the current color changing wraps out there that change based on the angle you look at them. But where I could change the full color profile of my CT to a number of pre-programmed colors or even images. Much like an octopus can do. Would make a traffic ticket interesting also. Cop sees a green CT fly by, pulls out to catch it. Only CT he can find is a black one...

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Not sure if Electro paint could be on a warp.
But that would be cool if it could and then give it different charges from different colors, maybe?
{ Dont know much about that paint saw it on a car builder tv show looked cool }

68Voltswagen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That sounds like a pretty good use for the E-tint, I wasn't thinking necessarily along those lines. But, nonetheless, it's a good idea. My main thing was night vs day driving by reducing the tint at night to provide better visibility. We aren't allowed to tint more than a shade strip at the top of the windshield here.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I have heavy tint on all of my cars and Jeeps. I can't stand driving in a fish bowl. I occasionally off-road and it doesn't affect me at all. If I really needed to see and the tint were an issue, I'd just roll down the window.

On the CT I want to put mirrored silver tint on the top glass.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
With all of that glass based real estate facing upwards on the CT, I'd love to see Tesla install the transparent solar panels on the roof glass (if the efficiency vs cost ratio is acceptable). I wonder if putting mirrored silver tint on the inside of glass covered on the outside by transparent solar panels would raise their efficiency, by reflecting the light back through the glass/panel?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
With all of that glass based real estate facing upwards on the CT, I'd love to see Tesla install the transparent solar panels on the roof glass (if the efficiency vs cost ratio is acceptable). I wonder if putting mirrored silver tint on the inside of glass covered on the outside by transparent solar panels would raise their efficiency, by reflecting the light back through the glass/panel?
I’d think SpaceX solar coatings. Invented for Moon landing helmet. Later for sunglasses. Improved with antifog, anti-glare layers. Some MPV-type vehicles cast a purplish tint view from 3rd person perspective which looks more like a coating than a tint.
Cool would be sandwiched, as OEM does with tint and privacy glass. That’d stop scratch and wear found in sunglasses.
I prefer the non-bowed, flat front windscreen shown here. The bowed glass tilts the poly-scheme and truck appearance. It looks like a car. An El Camino-ization of olde el cyber truck.

edit: why Tesla are at it, I forgot anti-UV 90% please!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag