Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let's talk about this a min

For a wiper I think the CT will have something similar to what the roadster and Semi have now. A single blade on a double swing arm.

If you notice in the semi reveal, the Semi had no side mirrors, the roadster also lacked a wiper, but later prototypes do have a wiper.

fast forward, the ones out on the road have wipers and side mirrors.

I think the lack of these on the CT prototype has led to some, for lack of a better term hysteria, on what high tech gadgets will be deployed (IE laser wipers and whatnot) i think the reality will be far less interesting.

just to show you what i mean on this

Roadster no wiper:
red-roadster-model-y-1.jpg

Roadster with wiper
wiper-1510933134.jpg

Semi at reveal, no mirors:

15_Tesla_Semi_Electric_1.jpg

Road Semi Mirrors.
tesla-semi-1-e1539187374903.jpg
On the Semi at least they had to put wipers on to run on public hwy's to comply with Federal Reg's.
Same with mirrors. Jack Rickard(RIP) said in one of his videos that the CT would most likely have camera's instead of mirrors pending legislation to enable camera's instead of mirrors and thought it would pass by the time the CT would be in production. Jack also stated that wipers would not be needed because of the Armour Glass, that it would be like permanent Rain Shield on the glass and nothing would stick to it.

Same could be true for the Semi but not sure and it will have Armour Glass as well.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
On the Semi at least they had to put wipers on to run on public hwy's to comply with Federal Reg's.
Same with mirrors. Jack Rickard(RIP) said in one of his videos that the CT would most likely have camera's instead of mirrors pending legislation to enable camera's instead of mirrors and thought it would pass by the time the CT would be in production. Jack also stated that wipers would not be needed because of the Armour Glass, that it would be like permanent Rain Shield on the glass and nothing would stick to it.

Same could be true for the Semi but not sure and it will have Armour Glass as well.
Each state has different laws on mirror requirements. Regulations won't be changed by the time the CT rolls out. You have to get 50 states and the feds to change the laws, that wont happen in a year or two, government moves slowly to change things unless there is social outcry.

and no slick coating lasts forever. Cookware manufacturers have been trying to perfect that for decades.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Each state has different laws on mirror requirements. Regulations won't be changed by the time the CT rolls out. You have to get 50 states and the feds to change the laws, that wont happen in a year or two, government moves slowly to change things unless there is social outcry.

and no slick coating lasts forever. Cookware manufacturers have been trying to perfect that for decades.
My bad, it's not legislation but NHTSA considering the changes.

US laws aren’t so welcoming, however. Currently, the regulations state that vehicles must have physical mirrors on the outside wings of the car for rearward vision. Even more basic enhancements available in other countries, like sections of those mirrors being curved to encompass a broader view of the road behind the car, aren’t permitted.

Now, the NHTSA is considering a policy change. A new request for commentby the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Department of Transportation (DOT), initially reported by Reuters, opens up a plan to test the safety of “camera-based rear visibility systems” for public and industry feedback.

“Initial research will focus on light vehicles and be followed by research examining camera-based visibility systems on heavy trucks,” the proposal explains. Using either “foreign production or prototype systems fitted onto U.S. or European specification vehicles,” drivers will be tested in either vehicles that have both cameras and traditional mirrors, only the usual mirrors, or in vehicles with cameras alone. Tests will be carried out both during the daytime and at night.

“The research will involve track-based and on-road, semi-naturalistic driving in which participants will drive vehicles in multi-lane traffic scenarios while using the outside rearview mirrors or alternative system during lane changes and other typical driving situations,” it’s explained. The researchers will use eye-glance tracking, along with metrics about vehicle speed, position, steering angle, and turn signal status, and also gather feedback as to how comfortable and confident the test drivers are with each system.

You can read the rest here : Camera's

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
[/QUOT

It's not a coating but the structure of the product itself. Jack Rickard explained it quite thoroughly. I'll see if I can find the video.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Hi just wanted to start up a conservation in regards to the armor glass, the mirrors and the wiper blades for the cybertruck.

Thoughts on Armor Glass:
Since there is no video evidence of the cyber truck windows being able to roll down, I'm going to assume that since the glass broke on stage that tesla would want to make all the glass bullet proof, and to do this make the windows not able to roll down. I mean just look at the shape of the front side windows if there were able to roll down half way, half the window would still be visible purely because of the odd shape.
Instead to make them strong and thought design the windows to be just like proper bullet proof glass in a window pane in the shape of the window on the car. I mean if it came down to it would you choose a fully bullet proof window that can't roll down or a window that can roll down yet can also crack. Thoughts?

Mirrors or lack there of: I know they don't want the side mirrors instead they want to use the side cameras and display this on the screen. I'm all for it. I know some concept cars in Japan have screens roughly in the same position as the pillar that show you a screen roughly the same size as a normal mirror showing you the same vision but without having side mirrors. Not sure if any car on the road today has that feature., not sure but if they did have to put mirrors on the CT to get it on the road, I surely reckon those side mirrors would look hideous in relation to the whole car being the shape that it is. You guys got thoughts on the side mirrors?

Wiper blades, I didn't notice any wiper blades on the concept truck in the unveil being that the entire front of the vehicle is one flat sheet of glass that rolls into the flat stainless steel that is hinged for a small bonnet. I can't see any room for motorized window Wipers either from the bottom nor the top of the window. I mean where will they go. I've heard people talk about laser window wipers... Like what is that? What you guys reckon.
"Bulletproof" is a commonly-used lay term but both halves of the word have no meaning in armament. A piece of paper can stop a spitball bullet. There are other bullets that could penetrate a reinforced army tank.

I doubt that a window's being openable would markedly affect its projectile resistance. (You can order a bulletproof limo with fixed back-seat windows, but that's for closed-off security.)

Finally, I doubt a consumer vehicle with fixed side windows would be acceptable to purchasers (this one anyway) or authorities.

Cpt_Kill_Jack

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99' Rav4
Country flag
Many people latch onto the Bullet proof comment. Though it was not in relation to the glass at all. Elon was talking about the Stainless steel used on the exterior of the vehicle when he said it was virtually Bulletproof. But the buzzwords have kept it being Misquoted. The Glass in Teslas Armor glass which is probably very similar to Laminated glass that has a similar effect of not shattering into a million pieces and staying together.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Hi just wanted to start up a conservation in regards to the armor glass, the mirrors and the wiper blades for the cybertruck.

Thoughts on Armor Glass:
Since there is no video evidence of the cyber truck windows being able to roll down, I'm going to assume that since the glass broke on stage that tesla would want to make all the glass bullet proof, and to do this make the windows not able to roll down. I mean just look at the shape of the front side windows if there were able to roll down half way, half the window would still be visible purely because of the odd shape.
Instead to make them strong and thought design the windows to be just like proper bullet proof glass in a window pane in the shape of the window on the car. I mean if it came down to it would you choose a fully bullet proof window that can't roll down or a window that can roll down yet can also crack. Thoughts?

Mirrors or lack there of: I know they don't want the side mirrors instead they want to use the side cameras and display this on the screen. I'm all for it. I know some concept cars in Japan have screens roughly in the same position as the pillar that show you a screen roughly the same size as a normal mirror showing you the same vision but without having side mirrors. Not sure if any car on the road today has that feature., not sure but if they did have to put mirrors on the CT to get it on the road, I surely reckon those side mirrors would look hideous in relation to the whole car being the shape that it is. You guys got thoughts on the side mirrors?

Wiper blades, I didn't notice any wiper blades on the concept truck in the unveil being that the entire front of the vehicle is one flat sheet of glass that rolls into the flat stainless steel that is hinged for a small bonnet. I can't see any room for motorized window Wipers either from the bottom nor the top of the window. I mean where will they go. I've heard people talk about laser window wipers... Like what is that? What you guys reckon.
1.) If the windows do not roll down fully, front and rear, order cancelled.
2.) If mirrors cannot be fixed to see around full width box trailer, order concealed.
3.) With snow and ice, especially parked outdoors the wiper cannot be behind any hinged anything.

Just saying the Truth or Consequences. Thanks for starting the conversation.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
1.) If the windows do not roll down fully, front and rear, order cancelled.
2.) If mirrors cannot be fixed to see around full width box trailer, order concealed.
3.) With snow and ice, especially parked outdoors the wiper cannot be behind any hinged anything.

Just saying the Truth or Consequences. Thanks for starting the conversation.
"If the windows do not roll down fully, front and rear, ...."

Rears that roll down only half-way are to keep kids from opening and falling out.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many people latch onto the Bullet proof comment. Though it was not in relation to the glass at all. Elon was talking about the Stainless steel used on the exterior of the vehicle when he said it was virtually Bulletproof. But the buzzwords have kept it being Misquoted. The Glass in Teslas Armor glass which is probably very similar to Laminated glass that has a similar effect of not shattering into a million pieces and staying together.
It is bulletproof and nothing like Laminated glass.

Look up "transparent aluminum" and "ALON" and "aluminum oxynitride"

This is Tesla's Amor Glass :

Optically Clear Aluminum Provides Bulletproof Protection

While the U.S. Navy is busy with the development of a new bulletproof material called Spinel, Surmet Corporation is already commercially producing its own version called ALON®. Technically known as aluminum oxynitride, Star Trek fans may be more familiar with the term “transparent aluminum” first proposed by Scotty in the 1986 movie, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. While ALON isn’t quite what Scotty had in mind (it’s not truly a transparent metallic aluminum, but rather a transparent aluminum-based ceramic), it’s pretty darn close.

Developed by Raytheon, ALON begins as a powder, which is then molded and baked in very high heat. The heating process causes the powder to liquefy and cool quickly, leaving the molecules loosely arranged, as if still in liquid form. It is this crystalline structure that provides ALON its level of strength and scratch resistance comparable to rugged sapphire. Polishing the aluminum oxynitride strengthens the material and also makes it extremely clear.

Comparing Aluminum Armor to Traditional Bulletproof Glass

Traditional bulletproof glass is comprised of multiple layers: polycarbonate sandwiched between two layers of glass. Similarly, transparent aluminum armor is also composed of three layers: an outer layer of aluminum oxynitride, a middle layer of glass and a rear layer of polymer backing. However, the similarities stop there.

Aluminum armor can deflect the same rounds from small-caliber weapons as traditional bulletproof glass, but it will still be more clearly transparent even after being shot. Also, a .50-caliber armor-piercing bullet could sink nearly three inches into bulletproof glass before stopping. Aluminum armor can stop it in half the distance and yet is half the weight and thickness of traditional transparent armor.

In addition, transparent aluminum armor can be produced in virtually any shape and can also hold up to the elements much better than traditional bulletproof glass, which can be worn away by blowing desert sand or shrapnel.

Despite aluminum oxynitride’s ability to produce a superior transparent aluminum armor, this material has not been put into widespread use. The largest factor in this is cost. Transparent aluminum armor can be anywhere from three to five times as much to produce as traditional bulletproof glass. In theory, however, it would not need to be replaced as often, saving money in the long run. Further, there is no existing infrastructure to produce the material in large panes like the size of a front windshield of a vehicle. ALON is currently used for smaller applications, such as the lenses in battlefield cameras or the windows over the sensors in missiles.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
The only thing to add is that the glass is much stronger than what GM, Ford, Toyota, etc. are doing so it’s a win. The amount of times that I have had to replace a windshield from rock damaged glass is pretty ridiculous even if it is covered with insurance.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
As I recall, Jack, (R.I.P.) thought that the Tesla glass would be Aluminum Ceramic, called Alon, but known colloquially as Transparent Aluminum.
‘I think it was Raytheon who developed it and then sold it to the current owner.
Part of the process of making it clear is the polishing. After it is polished, it is also very hard and Jack was thinking that it would also be like having “permanent rain-x”.
I think if they were using this for their glass, Elon would have said so. He is a sci-fi fan and the Star Trek reference would be fun. There are several great glass products, like on most smart phones and I wouldn’t put it past Tesla to R&D their own (it would also be handy on a spaceship...)

I am in Southern California, so my wipers typically only have to deal with light rain and ash. Whatever they come up with will hopefully be able to deal with ice and snow. In any case, I am expecting (at a minimum) to get a wiper like on the Blade Runner spinner, or cooler.
Sponsored