Windshield light bar

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
I was concerned with the light bar (laser light) above the windshield was still planned.
Since the production vehicle has not been shown and no specifics provided, the answer is still we truly 100% do not know.

I hope it’s there, I’d like it to still be included behind the glass on top but until details/specs are released on the production version a tweet from Elon 2+ years ago is not a 100% guarantee.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Since the production vehicle has not been shown and no specifics provided, the answer is still we truly 100% do not know.

I hope it’s there, I’d like it to still be included behind the glass on top but until details/specs are released on the production version a tweet from Elon 2+ years ago is not a 100% guarantee.
Sadly, I have to agree. Unfortunately, a recent @greggertruck post suggesting that ‘all’ lights are shown shows that ‘he’ believes the upper light bar (i.e., above the windshield) is gone, but I really liked it and hope that he is mistaken.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Sadly, I have to agree. Unfortunately, a recent @greggertruck post suggesting that ‘all’ lights are shown shows that ‘he’ believes the upper light bar (i.e., above the windshield) is gone, but I really liked it and hope that he is mistaken.
Jack,

I liked it too, however... CVC 24411 makes it illegal to drive on a public road without it being "covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off." So that would prevent it from being sold in our state. Not good.

Do I think there will be an accessory or 3rd party light bar available? Without a doubt. And with it being inside the car, you probably won't get any pushback from la polizia.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Jack,

I liked it too, however... CVC 24411 makes it illegal to drive on a public road without it being "covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off." So that would prevent it from being sold in our state. Not good.

Do I think there will be an accessory or 3rd party light bar available? Without a doubt. And with it being inside the car, you probably won't get any pushback from la polizia.
Are you suggesting you thought that light bar would be on in normal driving conditions?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Are you suggesting you thought that light bar would be on in normal driving conditions?
Frankly I never thought about it that far. I thought it was cool and that it would make a nice running light. In some pix it looked like it had amber lights at times like construction trucks. I always assumed that it would be mounted inside the vehicle…would that change the legality?

in the first prototype they also had internal light bars. Did those go away too?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Frankly I never thought about it that far. I thought it was cool and that it would make a nice running light. In some pix it looked like it had amber lights at times like construction trucks. I always assumed that it would be mounted inside the vehicle…would that change the legality?

in the first prototype they also had internal light bars. Did those go away too?
Typically a light bar in that location would be intended for off-road illumination - the height allowing it and to cast bright light everywhere (and distant)

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield light bar 1692366169547

Tesla Cybertruck Windshield light bar 1692366235513

using that sort of light isn’t against the law, unlessyou use it on the road - blind everyone

I never entertained the notion of it being essentially an RDL

the triple amber marker lights a separate matter of being required for wide vehicles, >80”, which the on-stage prototype was. They’re paired under regs with matching triple red market lights in back.

since we’ve seen no wife vehicle market lights, front or back, on any recent Beta or RC, I presume the production CT is <80”

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It was always going to be under the windshield, as shown on the Tesla site:

https://www.tesla.com/xNVh4yUEc3B9/04_Desktop.jpg

We never knew how configurable it was going to be but I suspect that it would have been software configurable for just about any scenario (and possibly limited depending on the vehicle was sold).
i know we're talking under windshield.

under or over, doesn't make any legal / use case difference (though inside cab raises some glare, boot, and other practical challenges)

as for being software configurable, you're thinking what, dimmable? i guess someone could decide they want a second RDL in that location, dimming the bar down to non-illegal brightness? but that seems silly and ugly, personally

to me, the utility of any light bar in that location is for offroad sort of purposes. never considered someone would interpret it otherwise.

personally, i always wondered how they would make a sufficiently bright lightbar in that location behind the glass that would not cause optical issues with the cameras and sensors placed nearby

for that and other reasons, I'm pretty satisfied the internal lightbar is among the items that were jettisoned after further/better consideration

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Nope. But California doesn’t allow it to even be uncovered.
As for the glare, properly sealed against the window works. I’ve driven cars that have very bright lights up against the windshield. Unless you think the angle might affect it.

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
This is definitely one of those problems the aftermarket will find a solution for. I can see Rigid making something that mounts inside since so many people liked it. Of course it would be "off Road Use Only." The other option I'm thinking of is a bar that attaches the to the forward most attachment point on the roof. I'm willing to bet that there will be offerings within weeks of the actual production vehicle reveal.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

under or over, doesn't make any legal / use case difference (though inside cab raises some glare, boot, and other practical challenges)

as for being software configurable, you're thinking what, dimmable? i guess someone could decide they want a second RDL in that location, dimming the bar down to non-illegal brightness? but that seems silly and ugly, personally

to me, the utility of any light bar in that location is for offroad sort of purposes. never considered someone would interpret it otherwise.

personally, i always wondered how they would make a sufficiently bright lightbar in that location behind the glass that would not cause optical issues with the cameras and sensors placed nearby

for that and other reasons, I'm pretty satisfied the internal lightbar is among the items that were jettisoned after further/better consideration
I suppose we will see at/after the delivery event and who knows what will appear or disappear by the time my number comes up.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
those aren't there, but ...

there were some like it in the bed of the proto, as well...

which we haven't seen to date, but i have a strong suspicion are coming back...
If they do not have the light bars inside then are they providing illumination for passengers the old-fashioned way? The bars were actually a better solution.

the bed lights were nice.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Configurable in that they could be segmented within the bar and thus be all white like a running light, or have sections that are for spot/flood, or sections that’s are amber, or color controlled like emergency vehicles, or flashers. I could imagine lots of possibilities

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Nope. But California doesn’t allow it to even be uncovered.
behimd windshield is covered, id argue

As for the glare, properly sealed against the window works. I’ve driven cars that have very bright lights up against the windshield. Unless you think the angle might affect it.
right, it needs a proper boot to seal in the light

all solvable, but im wondering if ct would present unique factors in eg the glass angle and proximity to the upper windshield sensor array.
Sponsored