azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
No one runs wheel spacers will doing any serious off-roading. It's literally the worst idea.

Also wider wheels / offsets will require after market fenders at a certain point for full articulation which will be a problem given the body type.
I would rather just get wheels with the proper offset, and agree that spacers are not good for off roading. My experience is with Jeeps
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The smaller truck will not want to be wide to fit into old-world places.

-Crissa

The cargo bed might get shortened to 5-5.5ft

Ford Ranger (UK)
https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/feature-pdfs/FT-New_Ranger.pdf
Double Cab Limited
overall length 5359 mm
overall width (without mirrors) 1977
Load box length (at floor without bed liner) 1613 mm (5.3 ft)
Loadspace between wheel arches (withoutbedliner) 1139 mm ( 44.8 in / 3.74ft)

Toyota Hilux (UK)
https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/hilux/
Invincible X - 4 Door Double Cab
Exterior dimensions
Exterior length (mm) 5325
Exterior width (mm) 1900
Bed Deck length (mm) 1525 ( 60 in / 5ft)
Bed Deck width (mm) 1540 ( 61 in / 5 ft) * between walls not wheel wells?

--------------------

Best pick-up trucks 2020 Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200
The UK pick-up truck market offers simple, rugged workhorses through to more refined models with luxury levels of kit. We rank the best here...
by: Auto Express
16 Nov 2020
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars-vans/107202/best-pick-trucks-2020

Why are pick-up trucks popular in the UK?
We're used to seeing pick-up trucks on UK roads, and they are popular here for one chief reason: tax. Double cab pick-ups that can carry more than one tonne of payload in the bed are classified as commercial vehicles, and as a result they qualify for a fixed rate of Benefit In Kind tax.

And that's not the only tax benefit of a pick-up truck. As of 2019, Vehicle Excise Duty, or road tax for a light goods vehicle not weighing more than 3.5 tonnes, is set at ÂŁ265, and this rate applies to those pick-up trucks that cost more than ÂŁ40,000. So if you choose a pick-up over an SUV, you could save around ÂŁ200 on road tax for the first five years you pay it, as the SUV would be subject to the additional ÂŁ325 (as of 2020) that cars over ÂŁ40,000 face.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gimme a Hilux without the silly shortened bed, please. It's on the menu. (and why it's the best selling - they compile all the sub-models into one sales figure.)

-Crissa

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
I would preferr the CT to be licensed (in Germany) as a (light duty) truck.

To achive that the "cargo bed length" must be longer than the length of the "passenger compartment", and seperated of course.
A Wolverine "fun" truck with a "short bed" is not a suitable solution.

At the moment BEV are road tax exempt for some years..... but that will change, since more tax revenues are needed in the comming years.

Trucks / Commercial vehicles have, and hopefully will be in the years to come, lower taxed than passenger cars. This is a widely used practice in the EU.
e.g. Chevy K1500 with 6.5 TD engine licensed as a truck is >1300 $US cheaper (per year!) in road tax then licensed as a car.
Multiply that by 20 years of road life span...
The only draw back : No trailer towing on Sundays ...... I can live with that.
A passenger car licence (Class B) is enought to drive light trucks up to 3500kg (BEV even higher).

As for pedestrian safety concerns, the airbag solution should do the trick.
It would also improve the survivability in other accidents (win win solution).

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Gimme a Hilux without the silly shortened bed, please. It's on the menu. (and why it's the best selling - they compile all the sub-models into one sales figure.)

-Crissa
Too in EU, Middle East and Asian markets Hilux rules. Wolverine CT-X needs to grab Hilux’s DAKAR trophy with its SS cold E grip paws. Where Baja 1000 is just bragging rights in the US, EU buyers follow mfgrs DAKAR success.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Norwegian with CT preorders here. I don’t want the smaller Wolverine, and I hope the CT will get sold here (we have many harmonized laws with the EU but are not in the EU). We do have crazy EV incentives, some of the most future proof laws for FSD in Europe, and the gov aims for us not to be able to buy new ICEs after 2025. There are plenty of preorders too I think.

As has been discussed the size is of no concern in Scandinavia (and probably Europe). And I just can’t see Tesla ditching crumple zones and pedestrian safety on the US version of CT either. Tesla has always touted its cars as the most safe cars ever in the world.

I do think they will fulfill orders in the US market first though as that’s the no 1 truck market, the market it is designed to penetrate, and where its factory is.

The Wolverine is a shelf project with no timeline, and will end up quite a different car to the CT I think.
Sponsored

Last edited: