Wouldn't this compromise the whole safer than a vault thing....

Outside accessable doors for pillar storage?

• Total voters

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Greetings Guys,

Considering the strength and safety of the "vault" wouldn't pillar storage, with outside accessable doors on each side of the truck, compromise the whole idea of "safer than a vault!?"

It seems to me that you will only be able to store small items in the space. When considering the possibility of the doors not closing properly overtime, rattling noises as the hedges get weaker, again, overtime, wind drag and noise if not properly seated when closed, an opportunity for a thief to pry the doors open, contributing to all of the aforementioned problems...Just don't seem worth the trouble to me. Now if you could access the space from inside the vault only, I would reconsider the pillars as usable storage space. Do you think the pillar storage (if included in final production) will end up being more trouble than its worth to the Cybertruck owners? I chose to opt out of this option...
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Whatevs. Elon'll figure it out. I'm in.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Greetings Guys,

Considering the strength and safety of the "vault" wouldn't pillar storage, with outside accessable doors on each side of the truck, compromise the whole idea of "safer than a vault!?"

It seems to me that you will only be able to store small items in the space. When considering the possibility of the doors not closing properly overtime, rattling noises as the hedges get weaker, again, overtime, wind drag and noise if not properly seated when closed, an opportunity for a thief to pry the doors open, contributing to all of the aforementioned problems...Just don't seem worth the trouble to me. Now if you could access the space from inside the vault only, I would reconsider the pillars as usable storage space. Do you think the pillar storage (if included in final production) will end up being more trouble than its worth to the Cybertruck owners? I chose to opt out of this option...
If you don’t like them, don’t use them. Most of the people I know have never put anything in their frunks, including my wife’s Model 3. Or you could put towels and other soft things in there that won’t make noise and won’t break the bank to lose if stolen. Etc., etc....

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Greetings Guys,

I just assumed the access would be from the bed side. But I'll take it either way the Cybertruck Team decides to do it. Current trucks have no storage under the bed (while the CT does) and most don't have any storage to speak of in the bed sides either.

I just want a big, tough truck that doesn't guzzle gas so bring it on without them for all I care.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
seems unnecessary to have internal access
and the 3mm stainless is really strong, it wouldn't be easy to pry it open if they design it well.

ditto with the rattling and wind noise

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
You mean the sail storage, right?

I don't see how they compromise the security of the vault.

-Crissa
Yes, thank you...The sail storage.

JCERRN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Country flag
With Tesla’s rep for QC, i dont think you are wrong for worrying about noises and loosening, though Im sure any rattling/wind noise would be covered by warranty. That being said, im sure the sail storage will be activated by the app/touch screen or some other smart way... this way there are no external protrusions.. maybe a flush button that only works with your phone nearby? Kind of like m3/y door locks? Of course this is all just speculation

-JC

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am OK with inside access too. It can come in handy when I am sleeping back there. Inside or out, I wouldn't want any space to go to waist.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I just assumed the access would be from the bed side. But I'll take it either way the Cybertruck Team decides to do it. Current trunks have no storage under the bed (while the CT does) and most don't have any storage to speak of in the bed sides either.

I just want a big, tough truck that doesn't guzzle gas so bring it on without them for all I care.
There are photos of them opening from the outside and there is no access to the bed from these areas.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
With Tesla’s rep for QC, i dont think you are wrong for worrying about noises and loosening, though Im sure any rattling/wind noise would be covered by warranty. That being said, im sure the sail storage will be activated by the app/touch screen or some other smart way... this way there are no external protrusions.. maybe a flush button that only works with your phone nearby? Kind of like m3/y door locks? Of course this is all just speculation

-JC
This is good speculation. I don’t think we can open our Model 3 glove box without the app. At least, I haven’t tried :) your idea makes complete sense to me.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Ram did something called the Rambox. I think it's got potential to be useful in the CT in whatever final design shows up.

I was going to mention this. Dad had a RAM with this for a while, it's a good space to store tiedown straps, small tool bags, etc. In the CT it would be a good place to store your mobile connector and any adapters you have for charging at RV parks etc.
Sponsored