WTF moment -- my Cybertruck made a sudden hard brake stop for vehicle on other side of 2-lane highway

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
I encountered a truck on the other side of a two-lane highway.

My Cybertruck suddenly made a hard brake stop when we both have a clear wide enough space between us.

Luckily there is no vehicle at the back as it would have been a definite collision.

Note: The auto-pilot is simply a glorified reactive cruise control.
Sponsored

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
Adaptive cruise control is based off of Autopilot (just without the auto steer). This behavior is either phantom braking or just being extra careful. I hate it. This is why I can't use FSD for more than a few seconds. It brakes too much for no real reason.

When I drive, I never use the brakes. When FSD drives, it's always braking in an uncomfortable manor.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
Mine is enabled but the again, it is just adaptive cruise control, lane monitor (no auto steer to put truck in the middle), simply blue streak warning ehen going offline and the red blind-side warning.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
Adaptive cruise control is based off of Autopilot (just without the auto steer). This behavior is either phantom braking or just being extra careful. I hate it. This is why I can't use FSD for more than a few seconds. It brakes too much for no real reason.

When I drive, I never use the brakes. When FSD drives, it's always braking in an uncomfortable manor.
I hope they'll correct this with FSD release in June.

That's too damn dangerous on freeways and high speed congested highways.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
So adaptive cruise control def isn't autopilot.

That being said. Even if you had autopilot or fsd you still get phantom braking. Because the truck is mega cautious.

This has trained seasoned Tesla owners to hover over the accelerator instead of the brake when on cruise, AP or fsd.

I'll typically be pressing my accelerator just a tiny bit unless I know the vehicle needs to actually slow down. This helps to prevent the sudden super slowdown.

It's not required but it'll make your life easier.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
reason #123443 that i wish i wasnt forced to have FSD. I actually enjoy driving my cars.
You're not forced to have fsd.

OP
OP

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Country flag
So adaptive cruise control def isn't autopilot.

That being said. Even if you had autopilot or fsd you still get phantom braking. Because the truck is mega cautious.

This has trained seasoned Tesla owners to hover over the accelerator instead of the brake when on cruise, AP or fsd.

I'll typically be pressing my accelerator just a tiny bit unless I know the vehicle needs to actually slow down. This helps to prevent the sudden super slowdown.

It's not required but it'll make your life easier.
It is auto pilot in their manual and not even bothering with fine print that it's just cruise control.

I guess it's the same when we pick up our Cybertruck: •Just figure it out yoursel!" lol